Using Gutter Clips for Patio/Awning Lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2006, 09:02 AM   #1

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I finally got my Dometic case awning installed last fall. At the Northern Oregon Gathering in October I saw Dave&Kathie's patio lights...too cool. The installation was slick too. They used gutter clips...the kind you'd use on your home to hang Christmas lights. Anyway, they said they were very inexpensive to buy and since it's Christmas time, they should be available just about everywhere. If you wait until the day after Christmas...they'll be even cheaper!

Looking at the picture...the ball end slips into the groove of the case awning, slide them down the length, slip the light wire into the curly...done. Of course you have to remove the clips before cranking the awning back in....but that just as easy. "Official" light clips (from Camping World for instance) are expensive I like this idea. Besides, they were really cheap for me....Dave&Kathie gave me a baggy of them

Click image for larger version

Name:	PatioLightClip.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	5746

Happy Holiday's everyone!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Free is a very good price!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 12:02 AM   #3

Trailer: 2000 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
thanks, donna,

sometimes the best ideas are the simple ones!
potteralice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 11:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler Honey
Donna,
Thanks for a great idea. I have a few bags of clips lying around and wasn't sure what to do with them. Don't ask how we put up the Christmas lights! Now as soon as I have an awning, I have a way to hang lights. I think I have this all in reverse order...
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:16 PM   #5

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Just at Christmas time I came across a sale on "assorted Christmas items". I spotted a few boxes of (100 count) different, but same idea clips. These showed that they could/would be able to mount all manner of lights to almopst wherever you'd want to hang them. At a point of weakness I bought a box at the "sale price" of $1.43!!

A bargooon, eh?!?!

Well, I got these jewels home and got to thinking of WHERE/what I was going to use these for. We now use ONLY led ropelights for outside light (at night) attached to the metal framework of our awning. To keep these lights straight/taunt we use the U shaped plastic channel stuff. It makes for a VERY straight even line of lights. (DO we get "points" for neatness here ??

These "tracks" fit right into the channels of the framework of the awning, making the led lights ALMOST invisible (except for the glow of the leds themselves.....)
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
To keep these lights straight/taunt we use the U shaped plastic channel stuff. It makes for a VERY straight even line of lights. (DO we get "points" for neatness here ??

These "tracks" fit right into the channels of the framework of the awning, making the led lights ALMOST invisible (except for the glow of the leds themselves.....)
Pictures Doug????? I'm having a tough time visualizing the U shaped plastic channel stuff

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Doug,
Are you talking about the 3 or 4' channel with the adhesive backing? I bought some but was not convinced the glue would hold up in temps down in the teens. We'd thought of using them below our deck railing at home. Did you use them inside the awning case or outside? I guess the proof of their usefulness will be how well they stand up to towing speeds if on the outside of the awning case. The concept does look good.
Please keep us informed of their effectiveness.
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
The rope light tubes fit inside the metal channel where the foldable/collapsable feet for the awning go.

I use small plastic clamps to hold the U channel up in its place but it NEEDS to be removed for colapsing the awning. These same channels I have screwed haphazardly UNDER the belly of the trailer and installed plain white chasing rope lights inside.

The channels have yet to fall under all the road trips we've made. The reason for the white chasing lights UNDER the trailer
Well, any car person will tell ya, Flames Be KQQL!! And what could be KQQLer than to have the appearance of flames under a trailer? The rope lights "chase" and because of their disarrayed layout, at night take on the appearance of F I RE dancing...
These are 110V lights but on the road at night I sometimes run them with a portable batt, source capable of converting 110 to 12V.

As far as outdoor at home use, I have 3 sets mounted outside. Two are mounted on the bottom edge of my eaves, one set holding red/green color changing, dancing lights (used as a small part of our Christams lighting) and the other set is located right next to it but in plain white "do nothing" lights, used for outside entertainment lighting in warmed times. BOTH appear hidden from view untill lit up.

The third set???
OH, its burried/ hidden IN THE GROUND surrounding our outdoor patio, set on a timer to come on automatically every evening, ON at dusk, OFF at dawn. The plastic U channels on the eaves have one set held on with the supplied tape (these have been up the longest) and the other set, I choose to mount with small sized stainless screws.
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 11:23 PM   #9

Trailer: 1974 13 ft Boler (GREEN and WHITE)
Send a message via MSN to iaian pettit
Talking

hi guys was at walmart today in there rv supply isle located in the automotive section. any way i noticed that they have clips in packs . one end of the clip clips onto your awning and the other end of the clip holde the wire for your lites. i thought that was neat n would give it a mention.
iaian pettit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:32 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
hi guys was at walmart today in there rv supply isle located in the automotive section. any way i noticed that they have clips in packs . one end of the clip clips onto your awning and the other end of the clip holde the wire for your lites. i thought that was neat n would give it a mention.
Don't forget, for those that entertain at home, say the patio or deck, is fun to hang the camping party lights up using the same clips.

I just bought some at a Lowe'sHome Center after Christmas, for the purpose of my patio at home and the camper.

One thing about this site, there are always great ideas from the members and shared so freely. Life is good!
Robert Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #11

Name: Gardnpondr
Trailer: 1985 BigFoot G
Mississippi
oh cool and I think I have some of those Donna posted. Mine are green in color. YEA!
I can't WAIT until we go camping. My daughter just brought up something earlier though to me and I was like oh dear I haven't thought about that. She says, you know you nor I will get any sleep in this thing with Daddy in here right? He snores! lol I was like ummmm we might have to get us some really GOOD ear plugs! ;-)
I'm bringing up some mega old posts aren't I? ;-)
Gardnpondr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lighting, lights