Using "Regular" Light Fixtures? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-08-2014, 01:55 PM   #15

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
So is there any reason I can't use parts from here?

https://www.bulbworks.com/sockets.php

I'm a DIYer and I build stuff all the time (www.zelophotoblog.com/91204/projectportfolio) and I don't see why I couldn't customize something unique that suits us more. Any thoughts?
Without seeing what you will be working with, and what you want to accomplish, as a guess they seem to have a full line of different kinds of sockets. But be certain of the lamp base you will be using before you order.

BTW: I also enjoy doing DIY projects as well. Here are a few I have done in the past 4-5 years (except for John Goodwin) mostly as a hobby. Most of these projects started out as fixers.

Robert Miller's (advocateone) Library | Photobucket

Old 06-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
As far as I can tell glamping has a lot to do with style and décor. And there are a lot of ideas to be gleaned from a search of the forum for glamping threads. Themes, color schemes and yes lighting ideas abound.

A lot of modifications have been done using parts or materials from chain and big box stores. Modifications that others have admired and replicated. Others have done some really neat totally custom work, also admired.

Some of us consider functional, simple or efficient to be our desired design, others wish to make a unique or personal statement with the design of their camper. Takes all types to fill a campground. And by sharing information we can help each other. If on the other hand folks from these two camps want to disagree this forum is not the place for it.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:07 PM   #17

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
I plan on making sure I choose socket types based on readily available LED base types.
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 04:08 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
You can find some pretty sweet lighting fixtures at yachting supply stores. This site has some nice ones, and they're all 12 volts.

Marine Boat Lights | LED Yacht Lighting for Sale | YachtLights.com
Old 06-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #19

Virginia
The problem with home fixtures is that they don't have on/off switches built in. You're supposed to use the light switch on the wall, and I'm guessing your trailer isn't wired that way.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:09 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
A fixture is a combination of wires, and in some cases, electronics. If you can find a bulb, that will fit your fixture, AND uses 12 VDC, you are golden. There are 12 VDC bulbs for most bases. Even what we think of as a classic 120 VAC light bulb with what is known as a mogul screw base. There are 12VDC versions of bulbs that use the exact same base. That means that the fixture has been converted to a 12 VDC fixture just by changing the bulb. But, as others have mentioned, many house hold fixtures will not stand up to the stresses of a rolling earthquake, (I like that).

The only real exception to this is, the florescent fixtures. They have what is known as a ballast that is rated for a fixed input voltage, usually 120 - 600 VAC. Specific 12 VDC florescents exist, but, typically in the RV style that you object to. Some AC fixtures can be reballasted to accept a different input voltage, but I don't have a source for a 12 VDC ballast.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
One of the many things I like about this sight is that everyone is friendly and helpful...even when someone has ideas that are different from our own. If I could help you with your question I would....but all I can say is it sounds like it would work to me...but I don't do the work,my DH does,I had him read this thread and he agrees it could be done IF you are very careful with what you pick and how you use it. You made a good start to ask for advise here some of the old timers( don't mean age but have been here a long time and done LOTS of rebuild/remodels) have a Great knowledge of how these little campers work and what you need to do to make them work better for you.....Ask...Listen ....Learn...have fun that's why we are all here.

Oh and Bob Miller, I had forgotten you are "that" Robert Miller...Thanks for the flashback of Some of your work.I enjoyed the black pop up rebuild and of course the Hunter Compact.

Happy Camping to ALL

P.S. I do lots of work with my DH,mostly I am the helper for all jobs and I do all the staining when we build things.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I probably shouldn't tell you this but the cheap chinese 110v led bulbs have a step down power supply that can be removed and the led's work fine on 12vdc.
The bulbs shown just unscrew and the power supply can be removed easily. Solder the wires back up and it will screwinto a 110v socket then wire the lamp to 12vdc(cutting off the plug). I bought 10 of them but took one look at them , no UL and pretty poor looking power supply and they are Not going into MY house but I will be using the led assembly for the Casita! I will not be using the 110 base at all.

Just make sure that you do not leave a 110 plug on the lamp please or someone may get hurt or dead!

Now the legal stuff! you do this at YOUR at your own risk and I assume no liability the information above!
Attached Thumbnails
led.jpg  
Old 06-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback
Alaska
Registry
Ok...I'll bite: What exactly IS "glamping".
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #24

Virginia
Glamour camping. It's when you bring so much gear with you that you're not actually camping. And let's be honest... everyone who owns a trailer falls into that category. If you put on a backpack and hike 10 miles up the Appalachian Trail with nothing but food, a tent, and a sleeping bag, THAT'S camping. If you're dragging a fiberglass hotel room with electricity and a full kitchen into a campground with full hookups, a pool, and complimentary WiFi, that's glamping.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:26 AM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Glamour Camping as in bring on the "BLING"

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:40 AM   #26
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcwhort View Post
Glamour camping. It's when you bring so much gear with you that you're not actually camping. And let's be honest... everyone who owns a trailer falls into that category. If you put on a backpack and hike 10 miles up the Appalachian Trail with nothing but food, a tent, and a sleeping bag, THAT'S camping. If you're dragging a fiberglass hotel room with electricity and a full kitchen into a campground with full hookups, a pool, and complimentary WiFi, that's glamping.
I'm not going to put backpacks on my grandkids and do a forced 10 mile march to sleep in a tent in the cold and the rain just to say we're not glamping. They like the trailer. Just being honest.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
If I understand the term correctly, which I probably don't, since this is not what I do. Glamor Camping. (Glamping) is about fabric patterns, colour combinations. Pretty shiny things and mood lighting.

The emphasis on gadgets is not what I think of as Glamping, I am not sure what name that has, but I qualify for membership in that group. Not so much because I have lots of that expensive stuff, but I think about things like solar, microwaves, water heaters, generators, furnaces, lighting, converters, fridges, batteries,..... all the time. This is a function of who I am as a person. I have always had a strong interest in all things technical. I can't remember names, or numbers, but if it is a technical relationship, or principle, then it sinks right in.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:54 AM   #28

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb A light is a light. The differences are minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
Ok...I'll bite: What exactly IS "glamping".
Glamping.com - What Is Glamping?

The short answer is – a fusion of glamour and camping –

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
Question. Can I use regular lights in my scamp? For instance, RV lights are always so blah looking, and I've come across many household light fixtures that I like a lot more. Am I able to change the wiring of the new fixture, or use a 12v bulb in the new fixture, or anything in order to use the new fixture correctly? Thanks so much!
Let's see...
"Regular lights..." (like in a house?)
  • a support structure
  • a light emitter (a.k.a. "Bulb")
  • a 2 conductor pathway (a.k.a. "wiring")
  • a power source (In a stationary house: 110 volts alternating current)
"RV lights..."
  • a support structure
  • a light emitter (a.k.a. "Bulb")
  • a 2 conductor pathway (a.k.a. "wiring")
  • a power source (In an RV, 12 volts direct current)
You say toe-MAY-toe, I say toe-MAW-toe. It is all quite similar.
I have this lamp in my trailer: Flamingo Neon Sculpture This item comes ready to sit on your desk or bar and comes with an AC adapter which plugs into any standard (110 volt) plug in. The AC adapter is 12 volts. I have a 12 volt cord that plugs it into my 12 volt outlet.

Tags
light