Using "Regular" Light Fixtures? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM   #21

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
One of the many things I like about this sight is that everyone is friendly and helpful...even when someone has ideas that are different from our own. If I could help you with your question I would....but all I can say is it sounds like it would work to me...but I don't do the work,my DH does,I had him read this thread and he agrees it could be done IF you are very careful with what you pick and how you use it. You made a good start to ask for advise here some of the old timers( don't mean age but have been here a long time and done LOTS of rebuild/remodels) have a Great knowledge of how these little campers work and what you need to do to make them work better for you.....Ask...Listen ....Learn...have fun that's why we are all here.

Oh and Bob Miller, I had forgotten you are "that" Robert Miller...Thanks for the flashback of Some of your work.I enjoyed the black pop up rebuild and of course the Hunter Compact.

Happy Camping to ALL

P.S. I do lots of work with my DH,mostly I am the helper for all jobs and I do all the staining when we build things.
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #22

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I probably shouldn't tell you this but the cheap chinese 110v led bulbs have a step down power supply that can be removed and the led's work fine on 12vdc.
The bulbs shown just unscrew and the power supply can be removed easily. Solder the wires back up and it will screwinto a 110v socket then wire the lamp to 12vdc(cutting off the plug). I bought 10 of them but took one look at them , no UL and pretty poor looking power supply and they are Not going into MY house but I will be using the led assembly for the Casita! I will not be using the 110 base at all.

Just make sure that you do not leave a 110 plug on the lamp please or someone may get hurt or dead!

Now the legal stuff! you do this at YOUR at your own risk and I assume no liability the information above!
Attached Thumbnails
led.jpg  
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:06 PM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Ok...I'll bite: What exactly IS "glamping".
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Glamour camping. It's when you bring so much gear with you that you're not actually camping. And let's be honest... everyone who owns a trailer falls into that category. If you put on a backpack and hike 10 miles up the Appalachian Trail with nothing but food, a tent, and a sleeping bag, THAT'S camping. If you're dragging a fiberglass hotel room with electricity and a full kitchen into a campground with full hookups, a pool, and complimentary WiFi, that's glamping.
mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Glamour Camping as in bring on the "BLING"

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #26
Commercial Member

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcwhort View Post
Glamour camping. It's when you bring so much gear with you that you're not actually camping. And let's be honest... everyone who owns a trailer falls into that category. If you put on a backpack and hike 10 miles up the Appalachian Trail with nothing but food, a tent, and a sleeping bag, THAT'S camping. If you're dragging a fiberglass hotel room with electricity and a full kitchen into a campground with full hookups, a pool, and complimentary WiFi, that's glamping.
I'm not going to put backpacks on my grandkids and do a forced 10 mile march to sleep in a tent in the cold and the rain just to say we're not glamping. They like the trailer. Just being honest.

Old 06-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #27

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If I understand the term correctly, which I probably don't, since this is not what I do. Glamor Camping. (Glamping) is about fabric patterns, colour combinations. Pretty shiny things and mood lighting.

The emphasis on gadgets is not what I think of as Glamping, I am not sure what name that has, but I qualify for membership in that group. Not so much because I have lots of that expensive stuff, but I think about things like solar, microwaves, water heaters, generators, furnaces, lighting, converters, fridges, batteries,..... all the time. This is a function of who I am as a person. I have always had a strong interest in all things technical. I can't remember names, or numbers, but if it is a technical relationship, or principle, then it sinks right in.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #28

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Lightbulb A light is a light. The differences are minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
Glamping.com - What Is Glamping?

The short answer is – a fusion of glamour and camping –

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
Question. Can I use regular lights in my scamp? For instance, RV lights are always so blah looking, and I've come across many household light fixtures that I like a lot more. Am I able to change the wiring of the new fixture, or use a 12v bulb in the new fixture, or anything in order to use the new fixture correctly? Thanks so much!
Let's see...
"Regular lights..." (like in a house?)
  • a support structure
  • a light emitter (a.k.a. "Bulb")
  • a 2 conductor pathway (a.k.a. "wiring")
  • a power source (In a stationary house: 110 volts alternating current)
"RV lights..."
  • a support structure
  • a light emitter (a.k.a. "Bulb")
  • a 2 conductor pathway (a.k.a. "wiring")
  • a power source (In an RV, 12 volts direct current)
You say toe-MAY-toe, I say toe-MAW-toe. It is all quite similar.
I have this lamp in my trailer: Flamingo Neon Sculpture This item comes ready to sit on your desk or bar and comes with an AC adapter which plugs into any standard (110 volt) plug in. The AC adapter is 12 volts. I have a 12 volt cord that plugs it into my 12 volt outlet.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #29
Commercial Member

Oregon
Dave - ditto here.

Retired engineer - that's part of the psyche. If it ain't broke it just doesn't have enough features!

Charlie Y

Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 AM   #30

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
Quote:
The problem with home fixtures is that they don't have on/off switches built in. You're supposed to use the light switch on the wall, and I'm guessing your trailer isn't wired that way.

Couldn't I wire a simple in-line switch?
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 07:39 AM   #31

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Glamping ...Defined?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ak Ron View Post
I guess everyone has their own definition of the word, ranging from hard core to foo-foo, here's Google's definition in pics:

https://www.google.com/search?q=glam...w=1280&bih=846

IMHO: I think this is a bit over what most of us are doing to enjoy our travels, but to each their own.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:52 AM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
Couldn't I wire a simple in-line switch?
Yeah, but running the wires from the switch to the light fixture might be a pain. I suppose you could mount the switch directly on the light fixture, but that might ruin the aesthetics. Getting a light with an integrated switch would give you the cleanest install, in my opinion.
mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #33

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2004 trillium outback 13ft
Alaska
Registry
Smile

Thanks to all for the various interpretations on what "Glamping" is. I get it. I prefer being inside my Egg over a tent on the ground now (especially in rain or bear country) and appreciate the minimalist features it has.
I had no idea there was a Glamping website with stylish safaris, expeditions, etc available.
Ak Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #34

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I'm in the "camp" that thinks glamping is mostly about style not the functionality of equipment or amenities. Having a bed is not glamping, having a bed with ruffled bed spread, matching throw pillows and stuffed animal collection all lit by custom accent lighting... well you are certainly getting there. If the throw rugs coordinate and bring it all together with the kitchen décor... congratulations you have arrived. If the whole thing goes with the theme of the outdoor decorations you may be a force to be reckoned with in the glamping community.

There can certainly be other legitimate views on what constitutes camping vs. glamping. I'm just not sure that having an RV with a toilet and bed makes it all the way to glamor camping. But it beats sleeping in a slit trench in the snow. TV or microwave lack glamor and are just convenience items in my book.

Noticed in the Google images from Bobs link did not see one folding aluminum mess kit or battered coffee pot sitting on Coleman stove so I guess I flunk the Google test as a glamper. Wife will be bummed to hear that.

Back on the lights, lights are functional items sometimes that function is decorative and sometimes it is functional. Accent or mood lighting vs. reading light. Sometimes the light is both. Such as under cabinet lighting in a kitchen with a dimmer which both provides accent and strong light on counter for kitchen tasks.

I would start with what do you want the light for functionally and design around that requirement to provide the style you want.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #35

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
I would start with what do you want the light for functionally and design around that requirement to provide the style you want.
That, sir, is why neither you, nor I, are considered a glamper.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I guess I fail as a glamper as well! The 2 burner coleman green stove and coffee percolator brewing outside with with matching can of "OFF" next to it is camping and is about as color coordinating as we get.

BTW I just love how these posts just "jump right off the tracks " sometimes!
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:29 AM   #37

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
That, sir, is why neither you, nor I, are considered a glamper.
Sad to say I think you nailed it. Our dreams of glamping but a mist that fails before the burning sun of our practical nature.

Heck I'm pretty sure some of the lights in our house serve no function except to show of the lampshade. I assure you that was not my doing.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #38

Michigan
Quote:
Yeah, but running the wires from the switch to the light fixture might be a pain. I suppose you could mount the switch directly on the light fixture, but that might ruin the aesthetics. Getting a light with an integrated switch would give you the cleanest install, in my opinion.
You have to run wires to the light fixture anyway, running one of those wires through a switch is not that much extra hassle. Getting a good looking 12 volt switch, then mounting it would be most of the hassle.

Separate switch does offer the advantage of putting switch in optimum location and might allow using a fixture or series of fixtures without a built in switch.

I agree it would be less work to have switch integrated, just don't shy away from separate switch if you can find what you want.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:41 PM   #39

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
I have used typical residential fixtures in an RV. Buy ones that use a medium base bulb. Purchase 12vdc medium base CFL lamps. It works very well and opens up the options available. The 12vdc CFLs are very bright and the energy efficiency is nearly the same as LED.

You should be able to purchase the medium base 12vdc CFL lamps at most RV dealers or online.

You may also find some interesting possibilities in the landscape lighting section of your favorite big box store. Not the solar powered lights but the ones that work from a transformer. The transformer puts out 12vdc. Buy the individual fixtures rather than a kit and wire them directly into your system.
1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #40

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Texas
Camping World has a fair selection of more "modern" or "contemporary" Lighting styles. http://www.campingworld.com/search/i...y&Nty=1&Ntpc=1
Not spectacular but cheaper than the yacht store.

While this "glamper" would love to see some Arteluce, or Poulson, or George Nelson styled stuff, I'll take what i can find. Anything is better than those plastic faux wood finish things in the scamp.
Astromags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light