Using "Regular" Light Fixtures? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2014, 12:29 AM   #1

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
Using "Regular" Light Fixtures?

Question. Can I use regular lights in my scamp? For instance, RV lights are always so blah looking, and I've come across many household light fixtures that I like a lot more. Am I able to change the wiring of the new fixture, or use a 12v bulb in the new fixture, or anything in order to use the new fixture correctly? Thanks so much!
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote: " RV lights are always so blah looking"

Hmmmm... That's pretty much an indictment of the tastes of the majority of us in FGRV's.

A lot of us like the smooth, functional, look of RV fixtures and don't consider them "Blah" at all. When you can turn on 6 bright LED panels, and pull less than 1 amp when they are all on, fixture style quickly takes 2nd place.

But there are some 12 Volt light bulbs with a standard screw base out there. They are usually used in "Work Lights" and can be found in some auto supply stores etc. But they are power hogs and will pull upwards of 4-5 amps each when ON. And, keep in mind that household fixtures may not be designed for the bouncing and vibrations of travel.

If you research fixtures used in motorhomes, you might find something more suited to your tastes, and that will be LED compatible.

What you are asking about is also called "Glamping".

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #3

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth and Desiree View Post
Am I able to change the wiring of the new fixture, or use a 12v bulb in the new fixture, or anything in order to use the new fixture correctly?
Yes you can. One of our members, peterh, has posted how he has converted some for his trailer. Another option is to look for marine fixtures, they seem to offer a greater choice in design than RV fixtures. They are usually expensive though.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: " RV lights Hmmmm... That's pretty much an indictment of the tastes of the majority of us in FGRV's.

As I walk around an RV parts store I see certain fixtures. As I look online at different RV parts websites, I see the same fixtures. The majority of the fixtures seem like they'd fit in with the decor of Wal-Mart and Bed, Bath & Beyond catalogs. That's not our style, so if we can get more creative and come up with something we like more than the typical fixtures everybody else has, we will.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
Yes you can. One of our members, peterh, has posted how he has converted some for his trailer. Another option is to look for marine fixtures, they seem to offer a greater choice in design than RV fixtures.

Awesome, thank you! I'll check out peterh's photos and see if any marine fixtures catch my eye
Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #6

California
Using "Regular" Light Fixtures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Quote: " RV lights What you are asking about is also called "Glamping".

I know what glamping is. I wouldn't consider having functional lights that also look cool to be glamping. When you start adding your TV, satellite, cable, microwave, electric fireplace, dishwasher, etc.....that's glamping....and we won't have any of those.
Old 06-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #7

Quote:
As I walk around an RV parts store I see certain fixtures. As I look online at different RV parts websites, I see the same fixtures. The majority of the fixtures seem like they'd fit in with the decor of Wal-Mart and Bed, Bath & Beyond catalogs. That's not our style, so if we can get more creative and come up with something we like more than the typical fixtures everybody else has, we will.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Realize that the entire RV market is still a niche market for accessories, and selections are going to be somewhat limited.

Suffice to say that we can all have out individual tastes and interests.

if you want to see wider range of lighting fixtures, tour through new, high end trailers and motorhomes at a show or a dealership. Of course they come with much higher prices as well. You can also shop eBay where there are a number of sites that offer fixture over-runs and surplus parts from RV builders.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:06 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
All the interior lights in my trailer work... good enough for me! I never really paid attention to the "look," I guess it's because they're like everyone else's. Besides, they're on the ceiling and I know I don't lookup, because when I do I notice cobwebs on the ceilings of my sticks 'n bricks house!

Remember, travel trailers are like an earthquake going down the road. You'll want to spend your money wisely. Function over form.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 AM   #9

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
A friend of ours made little rice paper shades to go over some of the lights in their trailer. It really dressed them up, softened the light without obscuring it too much and didn't require changing any fixtures. This would only work on LED lights which don't get too hot for paper to be touching the fixture of course.

Also, some people bring along a small table lamp to put on their table for use when they're plugged in to shore power. Can look cute, plenty of style options and can provide some nice ambiance. Maybe something like that could also be converted to 12 volt?
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:14 AM   #10

Quote:
I know what glamping is. I wouldn't consider having functional lights that also look cool to be glamping. When you start adding your TV, satellite, cable, microwave, electric fireplace, dishwasher, etc.....that's glamping....and we won't have any of those.

Well, I gotta admit, I'm a kind of a Newbie around here myself, with just a few posts, but I don't think that those with TV, Satellite antennas, cable connection's or even a microwave in their FGRV would consider themselves to be Glampers, I sure don't.

In the world of FGRV's, Glamping is more about decor than functional needs.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:34 AM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Remember, travel trailers are like an earthquake going down the road. You'll want to spend your money wisely. Function over form.

Haha! Yeah, I know I'm determined to have both form AND function as best I can. Where there's a will there's a way.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
How about an LED chandelier in a Bolar?

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-61664.html

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM   #13

California
So is there any reason I can't use parts from here?

https://www.bulbworks.com/sockets.php

I'm a DIYer and I build stuff all the time (www.zelophotoblog.com/91204/projectportfolio) and I don't see why I couldn't customize something unique that suits us more. Any thoughts?
Old 06-08-2014, 11:48 AM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Take it easy folks, this is a friendly site. No need to get all worked up about personal choices in style and start throwing insults.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:55 PM   #15

Quote:
So is there any reason I can't use parts from here?

https://www.bulbworks.com/sockets.php

I'm a DIYer and I build stuff all the time (www.zelophotoblog.com/91204/projectportfolio) and I don't see why I couldn't customize something unique that suits us more. Any thoughts?
Without seeing what you will be working with, and what you want to accomplish, as a guess they seem to have a full line of different kinds of sockets. But be certain of the lamp base you will be using before you order.

BTW: I also enjoy doing DIY projects as well. Here are a few I have done in the past 4-5 years (except for John Goodwin) mostly as a hobby. Most of these projects started out as fixers.

Robert Miller's (advocateone) Library | Photobucket

Old 06-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
As far as I can tell glamping has a lot to do with style and décor. And there are a lot of ideas to be gleaned from a search of the forum for glamping threads. Themes, color schemes and yes lighting ideas abound.

A lot of modifications have been done using parts or materials from chain and big box stores. Modifications that others have admired and replicated. Others have done some really neat totally custom work, also admired.

Some of us consider functional, simple or efficient to be our desired design, others wish to make a unique or personal statement with the design of their camper. Takes all types to fill a campground. And by sharing information we can help each other. If on the other hand folks from these two camps want to disagree this forum is not the place for it.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:07 PM   #17

California
I plan on making sure I choose socket types based on readily available LED base types.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:08 PM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
You can find some pretty sweet lighting fixtures at yachting supply stores. This site has some nice ones, and they're all 12 volts.

Marine Boat Lights | LED Yacht Lighting for Sale | YachtLights.com
mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM   #19

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
The problem with home fixtures is that they don't have on/off switches built in. You're supposed to use the light switch on the wall, and I'm guessing your trailer isn't wired that way.
mmcwhort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #20

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
A fixture is a combination of wires, and in some cases, electronics. If you can find a bulb, that will fit your fixture, AND uses 12 VDC, you are golden. There are 12 VDC bulbs for most bases. Even what we think of as a classic 120 VAC light bulb with what is known as a mogul screw base. There are 12VDC versions of bulbs that use the exact same base. That means that the fixture has been converted to a 12 VDC fixture just by changing the bulb. But, as others have mentioned, many house hold fixtures will not stand up to the stresses of a rolling earthquake, (I like that).

The only real exception to this is, the florescent fixtures. They have what is known as a ballast that is rated for a fixed input voltage, usually 120 - 600 VAC. Specific 12 VDC florescents exist, but, typically in the RV style that you object to. Some AC fixtures can be reballasted to accept a different input voltage, but I don't have a source for a 12 VDC ballast.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light