Utah bound - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2019, 06:26 AM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
Utah bound

When I was a younger Man my usual mode of operation was to use things until they broke, than fix or discard the item. Now I am an old Man I find myself 'fixing' things before they break, you know stop the bull before he gets in the china shop. We are heading to Utah from MN with our 1999 16ft Scamp, today. My bearings and brakes are 20 years old. We live 45 minutes from Backus so I called Jared (good guy) to schedule some service. Check brakes, new bearings, and after reading a few stories on this forum I also wanted a brake and blinker bar attached to the rear. Jared called and said a new axle would run $455.00 plus installation. Not only do I feel the chances of issues are reduced the Scamp rides about 2" higher than before! Another tip is when I make a run to the Scamp motherland for service I pick up 2 dozen Tim Horton doughnuts. These new axles are beefier, and I really like the new light bar. People will not be as distracted checking out my bumper stickers on my rear window! I will be gone for 17 days and may not be able to answer any questions.
John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0111.jpg   IMG_0112.jpg  

IMG_0113.jpg   IMG_0117.jpg  

Old 05-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sweet! I’d be envious of your living so close to Backus, but I read the weather reports. Enjoy your trip!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:49 AM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 15A
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I’d be envious of your living so close to Backus, but I read the weather reports.
Whaddya mean? It's a balmy 34 degrees in Backus right now...
Steve Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:20 AM   #4

Name: David
Trailer: 2014 13' Scamp -standard w/ front bunk
Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by crowwing View Post
and I really like the new light bar.
John
John,I too envy your proximity to Backus. I've rigged up a "portable" rear light bar that hangs inside the window while we tow, but would like to do a permanent install similar to yours. The brake light wiring is accessible in the driver's side dinette bench compartment but I'm not sure how to fish wires up under the rat fur to the location for a light bar. Did you happen to see how they accomplished this?

Enjoy your trip. Utah is on our radar for next year.
WDavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
I cannot endorse eating pieces of dough fried in oil which require large quantities of sugar to produce an enticing flavor.... ... um, which kind did you get?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 08:50 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 2000 16ft Scamp
Minnesota
As a post trip report our trip in total was 2600 miles. The new axle worked great, had to tone down my brake control to 2.0. I am always amazed how well the Scamp follows. I need to remind myself that I am puling a trailer. We planned the trip in May to avoid the little hooligans, cost was surviving three mountain passes, two with a blizzard. Wolf Creek Pass was scary. We ran to an amazing Woman who took 8 months off of her job with her Happy Camper with her cat (Ru Paul). That was in MO. The National Parks in Utah are amazing. Ran into one aggressive driver in Colorado that did not approve of my move to the passing lane on a down hill run to avoid a semi with flashers. Once around me he swerved as to cut me off and missed my left front by three feet. I guess we can all expect that when we look at the general population and realise there are a few that are just angry all the time, when it gets dangerous that is where I draw the line. Maybe it was all my MN affiliated adornments on the back of my Scamp that set him off? We have a big beautiful country and we are all lucky enough to have fibreglass campers to explore!
John
Old 05-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Leave for UT ourselves Friday. It will be the second visit this year.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote