Vented battery box? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2013, 10:51 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: Bigfoot Camper
Washington
Vented battery box?

Im working on my moms 16ft scamp for her and want to add a battery.I was looking at the wires that goto it and am amazed how small they are compared to my Bigfoot camper.I was thinking since there so small coming form the converter id install both battery in individual boxes with a T to a single vent on the side as well as a vent on each bottom.These battery cables look to be maybe 8 guage,I cant imagine how much power lossthey must have going all the way to the front.Surely someone must have tried something along these lines.Thanks Aaron
aaronmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
The power loss in the cable is entirely dependent on the current draw. In fact, it is calculated as current (squared) times resistance. If she just has small current draw, it is not a problem.

What does she run off the battery?
Old 08-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #3

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I agree. I ran 4 gauge on mine. It's not just what your accessories can draw, it's what your converter (if equipped), can provide to a low battery. In my case, that was 45 amps, and the distance required 4 gauge.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery