Vintage Style Decals on More Modern Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Vintage Style Decals on More Modern Scamp

I guess this isn't the biggest issue of the day but wondering your thoughts....

I have a 2001 Scamp that has the Scamp logos & the lines but it seems to be needing that older style tree logo decal. I thought I could get away with it since I have the older style wedding cake tail lights.

My hobby is restoring old jukeboxes... pop machines & vintage radios. That's where I guess I like the retro look.

Here is the link from Scamp of what decal I'm thinking of adding. Thanks for your thoughts. Popup Window 664378

I know it's my camper & I can do what I feel etc but it's fun to hear what others think.
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I'd be very careful before cross-dressing your Scamp.
The Scamp Purity Police are lurking everywhere and, when they detect the slightest infraction, they will immediately descend upon your rig armed with Scamp colored paint spray cans and undo your changes. It's a significant risk you take.... This happened to a friend of ours and he hasn't been able to find his Scamp since because it now looks so much like all the others.

Now we have learned that the original brown stripes on the Lil' Bigfoot had been changed to blue without authorization and, out of fear of the dreaded Yeti patrol, we can never enter Canada.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
LOL... ok ok... I get it. You should be a Writer. I'm getting the decal. Watch my back!
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:05 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
These 3 trees were even painted on our '86 UHaul VT when we got it from a PO. They are everywhere!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
I've been told to not mess with decals, I have a 81 scamp with the old school trees on the sides, they are old and faded but still look cool. So they are staying. I dont want to get busted by the camper police, thats not good....lol
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #6

Name: Susannah
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Hi There, So I realize this thread is from 2012...but I'm looking for more information and some history about these Three Trees, and am hoping you Scamp-afficionados might be able to help? My fiance and I just bought a 1978 13' Scamp for our Honeymoon... we are over the moon and love it so much. But, in addition to some other previous-owner mysteries, it is covered in these trees (one each on the front, back, and door side, one on the fridge and one inside between the two rear overhead cabinets!). What is the history of these and from this thread it seems as if I would anger the Scamp gods if I were to take them off? Any information would be much appreciated!
FeatherByFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #7

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Just do it.
Your camper, your rules.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Stock Scamp would have had a Scamp name & tree decal on the back center, the curb side above the belly band between the window and door. And on the street side in about same location.

Scamp still sells the decals and it sounds like someone went a little nuts if you have them all over the inside. Scamp also sells the pin stripes and Scamp lettering.

I liked them so I replaced the worn outside decals to look original. Another factor is the FG gel coat under the decal is permanently going to have a "shadow" of the decal due to decades of having the sun exposure blocked by the decal.

3M Stripe eraser from auto parts store will get those decals off the FG fast. Ordered decals from Scamp then paid a little over $100 to have someone re-do the decals that actually knows how. I saved some money by doing a very thorough prep cleaning so they did not have to charge me for that.

Photo shows street side and rear. Curb side is about the same decal location as street side. I found a picture of the original and on those the stripes connected to the S of Scamp, later years I think they had a space between the stripe and S.

It is your trailer but you own one of the old classics. Don't know if you risk the wrath of the FG camper gods by removing them but at that age the right to be badged with the three trees of honor left, right and to the rear has been earned. Not sure about the fridge and cupboards that seems almost like sacrilege.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:53 PM   #9

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's your camper, do what you want. I thought they were ugly, so I took them off mine.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407545522.428584.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	74617

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407545560.641359.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	74618

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1407545584.646113.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	74619

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 01:23 PM   #10

Name: Susannah
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
Hi Guys!

Thank you all so much for your (amazingly) fast responses and all the good information... As a relative newcomer to the wonderful world of Scamps I had no idea that the three trees were a thing, or that some vintages of Scamp have them and some don't. Just like the pattern on the curtains I inherited, I thought the trees were just a stylistic choice by the previous owner... Looking at my Scamp, knowing what I know, it does seem as though the small trees on the back are original (!), and that the trees on the curb side and street side are a new decal put over the place where there are ghosts of the old trees were... and that the ones on the front, the fridge, and the cabinets were added on zealously probably at the time that the side decals were replaced. I think I'll remove the decals that weren't on the original, and let the others stay put in the original configuration. RogerDat, I love this: "the right to be badged with the three trees of honor left, right and to the rear has been earned"... Can't go wrong with that!

Thank you again, all.
FeatherByFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Now for the $64,000 question (not real money just a pop culture reference).

What year Scamp stop using the old style 3 tree logo? And for bonus points what year did they start leaving a space between the pin stripes and the Scamp name decals on the side.

Frankly I don't have any real idea on when the three trees were dropped, and only know that a couple of pictures of 77's with original decals had no gap between the stripes and name, later ones do have a gap. Don't know when it changed.

So anyone know?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:06 PM   #12

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
It's at least post '84 for both.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp