Vinyl Plank Flooring... - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #21

Name: D and R
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
You bet. I put in our 17 foot boler last summer. Looks great, easy to install, and it handled our temperature fluctuations in Alberta
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #22

Name: Saimmaq
Trailer: 1974 Trillium
Saskatchewan
Clayton, how many boxes of the Allure did you use? There is one box at the Habitat for Humanity Re-Store that I love but I am not sure if it's enough. I might have to mix it up with two slightly different kinds if one box won't cover it all. Thanks!

Edit: I just saw your post that answers this. One box is perfect!
Saimmaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Planning your layout helps out a lot. Make a paper or cardboard template that you can use as a guide outside of the trailer. Lay your pieces out on the template before cutting. If you cut strips of the waxed paper that comes in the box to lay on the adhesive edges you can overlap the edges without the strips sticking together. That is helpful when trimming the edges for a good fit.

I left mine in the Trillium as a floating floor with some finicky trimming around the curves. No trim or sealant needed. I have noticed the seams are now raised a bit on the edges after a few years. Sort of like real wood that has cupped a bit.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #24

Name: D and R
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Registry
I have. 17 foot boler and it took 1.75 boxes
dlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:16 PM   #25

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Not bad.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 04:22 PM   #26

Name: Fernando
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Question Vinyl plank flooring

Next camping season I'm planning on removing the carpet from my 13' Scamp and installing vinyl floor planks (wood style) but need some advice on installation type. I learned by looking on the internet that you can install the planks with a glue adhesive, a peel and stick plank or you can use what is called a floating style plank do does not require adhesive. What i have not been able to find clearly on the internet is what type works better in an rv, a Scamp with plywood floors to be more specific. I did read that you have to take factors such as vibration from motion, temperature changes, and moisture into consideration as any of these can cause buckling or warping. Does anyone have some advice on this?
ScampMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScampMin View Post
Next camping season I'm planning on removing the carpet from my 13' Scamp and installing vinyl floor planks (wood style) but need some advice on installation type. I learned by looking on the internet that you can install the planks with a glue adhesive, a peel and stick plank or you can use what is called a floating style plank do does not require adhesive. What i have not been able to find clearly on the internet is what type works better in an rv, a Scamp with plywood floors to be more specific. I did read that you have to take factors such as vibration from motion, temperature changes, and moisture into consideration as any of these can cause buckling or warping. Does anyone have some advice on this?
Sorry if I misunderstand whether you mean the rigid flooring or the flexible,I have used the rigid variety with good success and I think it may even strengthen the subfloor (no real evidence to that effect).

I have installed the snap together vinyl surfaced flooring on several Scamps including Eggy-Sue.
You can simply remove the carpet, cut the lengths and snap the floor together, when it is installed it will lay flat.
I went two steps further with my trailer...
1] I went ahead and stapled around the perimeter using crown staples under the mop-board .
2] After installation I coated the floor with industrial grade floor wax.
The wax prevents moisture infiltration and it also is renewed with a simple diluted wipe down.
Mine has been excellent for probably 5-6 years.

Another point to consider...
Do the main entry floor only, that's where all the wear and cleanup is. Leaving the step up area under the dinette will make it more comfortable on your feet and looks nice as well.
Also, it is easier and cheaper, while accomplishing the same goal.

The first two pictures are of Eggy-Sue, Its hard to see in the picture but the front of the step-up is still carpeted, only the floor is planked.
The second two pictures are from the "Shelly" project.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 010.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 012.jpg  

May 2009 015.jpg   May 2009 016.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #28

Name: Amy
Trailer: scamp
longmont
Can you use other waterproof vinyl plank flooring? What is the difference between Allure and other water proof vinyl
plank?
afaurot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:35 AM   #29

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaurot View Post
Can you use other waterproof vinyl plank flooring? What is the difference between Allure and other water proof vinyl
plank?
Not having read the thread... I say yes you can.

The difference in quality is usually thickness, cushioning (and insulation), and wear layer. And that also varies in different lines under the same brand name.

I recently did a room in a luxury vinyl plank that was much thicker than most of the other options, and included a cork layer for a softer feel, and a wear layer guaranteed for 20 years in commercial use. Way overkill for a camper of course.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:41 AM   #30

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Allure is just a brand name. You can use the brand you prefer, kind of like tow vehicles. There is no single perfect choice. I bought a product made by Shaw.

The thicker the product, the higher the cost per square foot. The boxes are all about the same price and same size. On the thicker products just have fewer planks inside the box, thus less sq ft of coverage. Read the box carefully.

I used it to replace the original awful orange shag carpet in my Trillium. The Trillium floor design is different, so I just installed a floating floor over the fiberglass floor.

1977 Trillium Progress by wrk101, on Flickr

1977 Trillium Progress by wrk101, on Flickr
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin