Vinyl sheet flooring questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
Vinyl sheet flooring questions

Did anyone install this type of flooring in their fgrv? If so, what adhesive did you use, and did you glue it all down, or just the perimeter? I have a friend who installs flooring and he says acrylic adhesive used everywhere underneath. Did those of you who have used vinyl sheet do the same thing? How well does it hold up while being stored in cold conditions? thank you!
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
timely....

the floor in my trailer (97) is original and in need of SOMETHING....it's stained and, being light colored, shows dirt way too well to boot

somebody just showed me a type of vinyl "planking" that's thin, flexible and lightweight...it's got some kind of adesive on the back but can be pulled up and repositioned (doen't stick permanently)....peel off the backing paper and put down......at 2 bucks a foot it's cheap too...looked like it might be a very good solution...different wood look/textures available

more investigation required...at Home Depot
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:20 AM   #3

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1978 17' Boler
Alberta
yes, I've seen that, and I think that people here have used that. The allure, or similar. I've already purchased my sheet vinyl as I didn't want any seams at all.
summersucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Jeremy
Trailer: Compact Jr and Teardrop Trailer
Washington
If it is felt back (paper like) vinyl you should glue the entire area. If it is foam back or vinyl backed it is on supposed to be glued on the edges. I would avoid the edge glued vinyl because you may get bubble do to temp changes. For felt back sheet vinyl just go to HD or Lowes and get a couple quarts of sheet vinyl adhesive (Henry's or Armstrong) and a 1/16" X 1/16 swqare notch trowel. Also make sure you do not use any gypsum based patch under it to prep the floor. Gypsum can prmote mold growth. You want a portland cement based patch.
rainjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #5

Name: Marcia
Trailer: '00 Burro 17' WB
Seattle, WA
I installed sheet vinyl in my Burro last year. I got a good sized scrap of really nice quality flooring which was the type that could be just floated versus needing to be glued down. I didn't like the idea of glueing because I want to be able to readily lift the flooring to check underneath. The prior owners had glued down vinyl planks which got damp with mold underneath....I didn't want to repeat that. I have planned to put some quarter round trim in the visible spots but haven't gotten around to it yet.
The vinyl sheet is great. We travel with dogs and it sweeps/washes readily with no cracks for dirt to get caught in. It looks like vintage linoleum, a perfect match for my "vintage" Burro.
mglyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:58 AM   #6

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post
somebody just showed me a type of vinyl "planking" that's thin, flexible and lightweight...it's got some kind of adesive on the back but can be pulled up and repositioned (doen't stick permanently)....peel off the backing paper and put down......at 2 bucks a foot it's cheap too...looked like it might be a very good solution...different wood look/textures available

more investigation required...at Home Depot
Yep, probably Allure. It uses a 'grip strip' that attaches it to the next plank but not the floor. You just put a trim piece around the perimeter to hold it in place. It expands and contracts with the change in the floor temperature. I'm installing it soon.
Old 06-06-2015, 12:52 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I did a full glue down on the sheet vinyl floor in my Boler.
There is a MAJOR problem using glue between sheet vinyl and a fiberglass floor, both are air tight which means the glue cannot dry. I cannot remember the glue I used but the instructions indicated it should dry in this application ... I guess it did dry eventually but it took months, literally.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Washington
With most sheet vinyl adhesive you need to spread it with the nothced trowel and let it sit foe a short amont of time to let it "gas off" beforey you lay the flooring in the glue. Then you roll it with a 100# roller. With the notched trowel yo are not puting much glue down, maybe 1/32" to 1/16" thick after you roll it. Temperature an humitity also will affect drying time.
Old 06-06-2015, 02:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
The vinyl I bought said not to glue it. Just laid it down and put in the trim. Been 2 years and still looks like new.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2919.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	194.6 KB
ID:	84984
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 06:34 AM   #10

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan

Snoozys come from the factory with sheet vinyl. No glue, just quarter round around the perimeter.

Denny Wolfe
Wanderingourway.wordpress.com
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 07:20 AM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCDenny View Post
Snoozys come from the factory with sheet vinyl. No glue, just quarter round around the perimeter.
Denny Wolfe
That's exactly the way Joy A installed the sheet vinyl in her Scamp (I think!). Sure would make it a lot easier to change out to something else in the future... whether worn out or just redecorating
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:08 AM   #12

Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
The vinyl I bought said not to glue it. Just laid it down and put in the trim. Been 2 years and still looks like new.

Attachment 84984

Beautiful floor Rick.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 06-07-2015, 10:26 AM   #13

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Scamp
Arizona
Bruce & Ellyn

We are putting down vinyl planking today in our Scamp. We are going to float it over the old carpet. Is that a good idea?
El Brazo Enophre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 11:27 AM   #14
Commercial Member

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Brazo Enophre View Post
We are putting down vinyl planking today in our Scamp. We are going to float it over the old carpet. Is that a good idea?
No.
Old 06-07-2015, 01:20 PM   #15

Arkansas
Registry

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Brazo Enophre View Post

It works better over a hard and level surface. The manufacturer specifically states to not install it over carpet.

Then again, they also specifically state that you can't install it in a camping trailer (supposedly because the temperature of the floor can vary widely) which is something thousands of people have done with good results.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

Tags
vin