vinyl tile floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 01:46 PM   #1

Name: Sally
Trailer: Hunter
Texas
vinyl tile floor

I've replaced the plywood floor in my Hunter trailer and now I need to put in a finished floor. I was going to use sheet vinyl but I can't find a remnant the right size(6x9). I don't want to buy a big sheet so I'm going with individual tile squares.What is the best way to stick these to the plywood? Should I glue it directly to the plywood or put some other material in between (such as builder's felt)? Also, self sticking or separate glue? I'm comfortable installing glue down type tiles if those are better. The self sticking are thinner(lighter) since I'm trying to keep the weight down where ever possible. I would welcome any advice. Thanks.
Campbell BRedbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Have you tried Lowes or Home Depot to see if you can purchase the sheet by the foot?
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I just looked on the Lowes web site and they have the linoleum at a most reasonable price.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 03:01 PM   #4

Name: Mark
Trailer: 1969 Boler (Flat Top)
British Columbia
Registry
I went through the same thought process.
I found once I started the stick down tiles I was unhappy with the small cracks between tiles. Perhaps you may be able to lay them more accurately but it just liked like a grime trap to me.
I found manufactured linoleum "remnants" by the roll at home depot for a reasonable price. I stuck it down with double sided gorilla grip floor tape. A strip of tape about every 6 inches. I found doing just the edges (as seen on YouTube) left it free to bubble in the middle when temperatures fluctuated.
I used a cork underlay to hide floor imperfections and for a softer, warmer feel.

Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
(#183)
WildBirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Look for a material from the big box stores called Traffic Master Allure It comes in strips with an adhesive edge that stick the strips together. As seasons change and products age the glued joints don't open up. I've had it in my kitchen for over 10 years and that product has really impressed me. If I ever replace the carpet in my trailer that's what is going in it.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Great minds think alike eh? Posted while the other was composing.

If you don't mind the look of wood plank you might check out allure flooring. vinyl that comes in strips that are a few planks wide. No need for adhesive and in a smaller camper fewer seams than tile squares.

Stuff is heavy enough to stay flat without being glued or taped to floor.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell BRedbox View Post
I was going to use sheet vinyl but I can't find a remnant the right size(6x9). I don't want to buy a big sheet...
I see that the most common big-box home centers only sell sheet vinyl off of 12' rolls. A 6' piece, cut to 9' leaves a 6' x 3' remnant. Since the stores advertize "by the square foot" have you asked them if they'll keep the remnant to sell to someone else?
Quote:
I'm going with individual tile squares... Should I glue it directly to the plywood or put some other material in between (such as builder's felt)?
I would glue it directly to the plywood.
Quote:
Also, self sticking or separate glue?
For individual tiles I always use separate glue.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #8

Name: Brian
Trailer: 1990 13 ft Casita DLX #6
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
Look for a material from the big box stores called Traffic Master Allure It comes in strips with an adhesive edge that stick the strips together. As seasons change and products age the glued joints don't open up. I've had it in my kitchen for over 10 years and that product has really impressed me. If I ever replace the carpet in my trailer that's what is going in it.
X2
I put it in two trailers and a few other projects. There are cheaper options than Allure such as linoleum and the peel n stick. But Allure is easier to install (Utility knife and square), looks better and much more durable than the peel and stick squares or linoleum. The material is a thick tough vinyl. You will need 2 boxes for most 16 ft trailers.
Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:19 PM   #9
gdo

Name: greg
Trailer: scamp
Iowa
Congoleum has a product called structure that comes in planks or tile commercial rated and not to expensive. 36 sq.ft. Boxes
gdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:25 PM   #10

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losthwy View Post
X2
I put it in two trailers and a few other projects. There are cheaper options than Allure such as linoleum and the peel n stick. But Allure is easier to install (Utility knife and square), looks better and much more durable than the peel and stick squares or linoleum. The material is a thick tough vinyl. You will need 2 boxes for most 16 ft trailers.
X3
Dave & Paula
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01176.jpg   DSC01173.jpg  

DSC01193.jpg  
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vin