Walmart Epoxy? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 AM   #21

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I would not use waxed paper. Smooth plastic works well. Some plastic package sealing tape would work. The wax could leave residue that would be hard to remove.
Ok I will use the packaging tape instead, thanks.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:05 PM   #22

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
I would not use waxed paper. Smooth plastic works well. Some plastic package sealing tape would work. The wax could leave residue that would be hard to remove.
I haven't read all the replies but I once built a cedar strip dingy and covered it with fiberglass inside and out.
The finish, top coat, of epoxy resin contains wax to keep out the air so the resin will cure.
Otherwise it will stay tacky
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:53 PM   #23

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
I haven't read all the replies but I once built a cedar strip dingy and covered it with fiberglass inside and out.
The finish, top coat, of epoxy resin contains wax to keep out the air so the resin will cure.
Otherwise it will stay tacky
Did you paint over the resin? I've seen cedar canoes with a resin finish but the resin was the final finish coat. I've used the package tape method several times and it works well. Wax paper might work but I'm not sure. I said it could leave a residue, not would leave a residue.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #24

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
No paint over the resin.

I suspect what Wally world sells contains the wax because it does cure properly.

I did some body work using it on a rusty jeep and painted over it with no problems
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:51 PM   #25

New Jersey
Today I only got to the minor stuff like fiberglassing over screw holes from the back. I only used one piece of mat per hole, would that be sufficient even if I were to drill through it to install new taillights and running lights? The stuff is hard as a rock, I think it will hold up to a drilling without delamination but this is my first time so id rather make sure.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #26

New Jersey
How long does pc-11 usually take to cure? I patched some holes with it at around 8pm and it's still not dry at 5pm the next day.
Old 04-15-2016, 04:14 PM   #27
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluetang99 View Post
How long does pc-11 usually take to cure? I patched some holes with it at around 8pm and it's still not dry at 5pm the next day.
It's been a while but I recall being able to chisel it with a putty knife in several hours and sanding it in 24 hours. 50-50 mix? Is it cold?
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 07:40 PM   #28

New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
It's been a while but I recall being able to chisel it with a putty knife in several hours and sanding it in 24 hours. 50-50 mix? Is it cold?
50-50 mix, when I applied it the outside temp was around 40-50 but the day after application it was about 70. The putty was hard, I needed a razor blade to scrape some off but it just wasn't rock hard. Pushing on it with my finger nail would leave an indentation.

I'm doing it in my garage so it's a bit colder in there, I'll check again tomorrow hopefully it will have cured.