Want to redo the dinette - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
Want to redo the dinette

Have a 21' rear bed bigfoot 2008. I am having issues with the dinette. I would like to modify it so that the area at the back is more accessible and the cushions are narrower. Can not seem to find that has modified the basic dinette setup. Can not believe it is perfect as is, or that I am the first one to complain. Help. The squeaky table is driving me nuts.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM   #2

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Photos might help us envision what you are now dealing with. Many of us have modified our dinettes. You might want to do a search on this forum using the "SEARCH" drop-down menu, scroll to the bottom and use the Google search. Something like "dinette mods" should produce some "hits". As to the squeaking table, I suggest you "Google" on the Internet "how to stop squeaky wood floors". I remember seeing someone say baby powder works! Good luck.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 09:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
There's a number of Bigfoot owners here on FiberglassRV with the front dinette. When you say the dinette squeaks, WHAT do you mean? The table... how? Is it wobbly? The cushions fit the cabinetry. What are you hoping to accomplish by making the cushions narrower?

Explain yourself... help us, help you.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:32 AM   #4

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
yeah what she said....

for a while I thought it was just me....I just couldn't "picture" the problem....but thinking on it I'm going to guess he has a "problem" with the cavernous storage area located behind the left seat back....it's hard to access easily (I just put stuff in there that I'm not going to be looking for every 10 minutes....and light ones at that because I heavy in the front end as it is)

his "narrower" cushion probably means shorter...to access a possible shelf....there is both a horizontal AND a vertical one (behind the seat back) to that compartment....maybe a shorter cushion would mean he could open that door.....I dunno....

he's from Quebec....that "distinct society" thing might have something to do with the confusion....LOL....hey, no flames now....I can say that....check my handle....LOL

first pic is the left side of my dinette...the two doors visible...the other two pics is what I do with my table when I feel like it
Attached Thumbnails
elecr9.jpg   adonejb.jpg  

adoneja.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 10:37 AM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
geez, now I'm doin' it....

"there is both a horizontal AND a vertical DOOR (behind the seat back)"
Old 10-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #6

Name: ginette & ron
Trailer: 2008 25RB 21 Bigfoot
Ontario
some clarifications

Thanks for your suggestions. Francois love what you've done with that left side. You are right that ,that area is hard to access. I want to make the cushion area narrower as I am a short person 4'91/2" and my feet do not reach the floor and my hips don't reach the back of the banquette..the table feels too high also. This dispoportioning leads to backaches and irritation. Pictures are a good suggestion. I've tried a few times to upload pix but not succeeded. Will try again. Did search the forum for dinette mods but nothing came up. I,too, was suprised about that.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
careful.....

a 2008 BF 21 is worth a lot of money....

if we were talking about a 1980 B17 the following would not apply...but...

you may not have this trailer FOREVER....at some point you may want to sell it....modifying it to fit your particular measurements might limit your market when you try to sell (ie. lower price)

given that I would make sure that any mods to address the issues you describe be easily reversible back to stock design/measurements

off the top of my head....the issue of seats being too high could be addressed by building a removable storage compartment that would sit on the floor under the dinette table (only real change would be to shorten the table leg, later you could buy and install a new leg to return to original)....having a slightly higher floor under the dinette table is something some manufacturers use in their original builds.

the issue of the seats being too deep could be addressed by getting thicker foam pieces cut for the seatbacks (even more comfort) and getting them upholstered.....then store the originals seatbacks in a dry location for when you decide to put the trailer back in it's original condition

the issue of the cavernous, difficult to use storage area will never go away...a thicker seatback will even make it slightly worse even...you could learn to live with it or do something drastic: give up on it being interior storage and cut/install an outside access hatch....just like the one under the passenger side dinette seat....you could even source one from bigfoot if you wanted the exterior to look "perfect"......I've thought of doing something like that on mine but haven't "pulled the trigger" on that one yet...I havew a long list of possible mods for my trailer and that one has not made it to the top of the list

good luck.....where abouts are you in PQ anyways? (I'm originally from the west island of Montreal)...cheers, F

PS. I haven't figured out how to get pictures to appear full size in the posts (you have to click on them to see them full size) I click on the attachment icon to the right of the smily face on the top line of the message box....and follow along after that)
Attached Thumbnails
elecr9h.jpg   topfridge1.jpg  

adonen.jpg   kitchenc.jpg