Want to replace the Ice Box in my U-haul with fridge - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 AM   #15
Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
The previous owner of my CT replace with a medium sized dorm fridge. I think he enlarged the opening a little. Mine has no freezer, and runs on 110v and plugs into a receptacle that was installed under the sink. I have not done any wiring in my CT, but it all seems to work fine. A wood framework was also built to hold the fridge in place. Not sure if this info helps but at least it may give you some ideas where to start. The brand of fridge in my photo is a Danby, this one seems to be almost the same http://www.compactappliance.com/DAR4...FQzHKgodVn2L9A

Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Same Installation

We had virtually the same installation except ours was black. We originally started with a big bungee to keep it closed but migrated to a different solution.

To keep the door closed we drilled a screw into the top of the door on the opening side. Above it we drilled a hole for an hook. We put a large O-ring in the hook and then closed the top of the hook with pliers, capturing one end of the o-ring.

Before driving we just take the other end of the O-ring and hook it over the door's screw.

You can just makeout the stainless screw in the right corner of the door.

Attached Thumbnails
Fridge Screw.jpg  

honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 PM   #17
Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
When you put the dorm fridge in, what kind of venting is there? Do you have an outside vent/access panel?

Our 13' Scamp is completely gutted and we are thinking of putting in a L-shaped kitchen across the front and putting the fridge there. If we do, there are no vents in the front of the trailer and we would be reluctant to put one in there... but at the same time, we don't want the fridge to get too hot while it's running.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

- Tony
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 11:58 PM   #18
Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
One does not vent their home refrigerator to the outside, nor do you need to for a dorm fridge or a 12 volt only Danfoss style compressor refrigerator like Novakool, Truckfridge, etc. You usually just have to have an inch below, at the back, and the top in order for inside air flow to cool the coils. No flame is used with these refrigerators as they all use coolant like 134a and a compressor to circulate the coolant. My last 2 trailers were changed out to Danfoss style refrigerators ($700.00 ballpark) and love them. You do not have to worry about being level, wind blowing out the flame, slow cooling time (hours to get to desired cooling range), nor having to worry about having to have the refrigerator off while traveling. I have been using permanently mounted solar to keep the battery topped off, and a 12 volt wire from the tow vehicle if traveling at night.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:29 AM   #19
Name: Tony
Trailer: Scamp - The Haunted Mansion
Thanks David! You are a fount of information!!! Building out this trailer is going to be easy thanks to all the advice you've given us!

- Tony
Sohkraites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:32 AM   #20
Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
I have (temporarily) installed a "dorm fridge" in my Scamp, pending a new 12V compresser fridge maybe next year. I put it in the stock location so have the stock vents on the outside. Yes, normally these do not require venting, because it is assumed they have space under, over, and on the sides to vent. They do give off a certain amount of heat, that is what they do after all. Remove it from inside the box and expend it outside. I have it sealed off from the inside of the trailer and even with the outside venting when I put my hand on the fiberglass counter above the fridge (heat rises) it is very warm. I was very surprised to note this and do not think it is enough to worry about, but I would recommend leaving room for air flow into the trailer if no external venting is provided.

By the way, I went to a lot of trouble to make an aluminum plate that mounted to the top off-side hinge bracket holes and a pin to keep the door closed for travel. I worked so hard mounting and trimming the fridge I hate to swap it out for a new 12V one. But once I get my solar system in the new refridgerator is next.

Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

fridge, u-haul