Washing Poliglow - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2013, 08:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Washing Poliglow

My trailer still looks pretty good (recoated Poliglow last year) and I want to wash off road grime and do an update coat (they say to recoat once a year.)

But what to wash with that won't remove the finish? I did water only, a little soap, and it did not take off the road grime, just the dust. I hate to seal in any oil or dirt.

(Note: I tried searching for an answer but there is too much on Poliglow vs. RedMax to find a specific like this question so apologies if it has been answered before.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:05 PM   #2

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Maybe try "Ultra Dawn" liquid dish detergent. That's what I am going to try, have not done it yet. But the ultra is a great grease cutting detergent, they use it on oil soaked birds. Just a thought.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Dawn might strip it, it's a powerful detergent. I know it will strip car wax. I use Blue Coral Wash & Wax, but not sure if the PG will stick to it, as it does leave a coat on the surface. When I wash a waxed vehicle with it, it really enhances the beading for a couple weeks. I'm looking into ways to improve the surface of the Zep, thinking maybe a clay bar or even a pass with 2500 grit wet, then a compatible wax or even another coat of Zep.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #4

Registry
I guess I should look at their info to see what they suggest to wash it with.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
PoliGlow is a unique product.* It will not wash off or be affected by soap and water.* A mild soap will keep your surface shining and clean.* To maintain a PoliGlow shine, reapply one or two coats every 6-8 months.* Avoid contact with ammonia-based products, degreasers, teak or hull cleaners and abrasive cleaning products.
Well, mild soap alone didn't quite do it but I'll add a little more elbow grease and see how it does.
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
That's frustrating, why do they always say "mild" soap. What is mild soap- Dawn? Ivory? Are they telling me I have to buy Lavender Chamomile soap for my egg now?
Old 06-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Detergents strip wax. Any vehicle washing soap that contains a wax agent might prevent the Poliglow from sticking. I'd use Ivory liquid soap.

So Bobbi, what did you find out?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #8

Registry
Posted above. "Mild soap." Ivory might be a good idea though I don't know if Ivory liquid is pure soap.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:10 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
If I think of it today I'll look through the "soap" aisle. Very few liquids are soap anymore, most are detergents. I think it would be fine if you stuck with a liquid made specifically for washing waxed vehicles. I'm curious now about Ivory liquid, is it still 99.44% pure?
Old 06-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #10

Registry
The liquid might not be but they make a baby laundry soap in flakes that I think is soap. I'll check, too. The front is the really dirty part so if I end up needing to do a second or third coat of Poliglow there it will be okay.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:07 PM   #11

Name: John
Trailer: 86 Cadet
Ontario
Registry
Try 'Pink Solution', this is an organic non-toxic cleaner. I came across this product from a demo at Costco. I was looking for a cleaner without harsh chemicals and abrasive. It did the job. I refinished my trailer with zep after cleaning with this product. Zep is similar to Polyglow.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #12
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
I have to wash the Scamp this week before I head out, seems there were some little tiny gnats that hatched, and chose the camper as an ideal place to die. I tried wiping a couple off, they smeared and left dark brown streaks. Going to try the Blue Coral, with a very soft scrubbing pad. The trailer hasn't been on the road yet so there isn't any grit to worry about, I want to see if I can cut some of the roughness in the Zep. Will report back with details.