Water Heater???? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2012, 10:18 AM   #21

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Musgrave View Post
ok,if you want to hear what others have to say I will add my 2cents worth. We have boomdocked with the campers and tents.Used different ways to heat water...took showers in the camper & in the shower tent...gone without showers & just washed up some or as we said in the "ole days...took a spit bath" .We have had campers without bathrooms & without hot water heaters.As you know you can very well do without both.Right now we have both. Do we always use them NO! Would I take any part of them out to gain space? NO,No and No......I often do not light the hot water heater unless we are going to shower. I use my coffe pot to heat water for the few dishes we have.That way I get my pot cleaned & HW to do wash dishes,by the time it is ready for rinse them I have another pot of HW ready as well as a clean coffee pot.
My thinking is that if I did not have the HW heater I would just carry more stuff that I most likely would not ever use.Those 2 items I could use every day if I want to ( or am boomdocking)

So I have to agree with DonnaD....keep it...or with the others that said camp in it one year(or season) then decide if you need the space for stuff or want to keep it as is. It is your home away from home you need to know how it feels and works for you before you make any major changes.

Happy Camping
We do the same thing and use our coffee pot to get hot water for doing dishes that said I would not take out our water heater . It seems like a lot of work for gaining a little space and certainly it affect the resale value
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:30 AM   #22

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frederick L. Simson View Post
I have witnessed several situations over the years where removing equipment wound up being counter-productive.
One experience stays with me.
A person on this site had a Fiber Stream similar to mine, but was frustrated with the layout of the kitchen. It has a double-bowl sink and a 3-burner range with a gas oven. However, by being limited to 4' of kitchen space there was no room left for counter space. In order to make the kitchen more to their liking, they removed the double-sink and replaced it with a single-bowl, and removed the range and replaced it with a 2-burner cook-top, putting a microwave in the space where the gas oven used to be. They loved the trailer, but "Life happened" and they needed to sell it. The next owners had it for a short period and resold it. The 3rd owner in line read my posts about the original configuration which they preferred, and spent a lot of effort to put everything back the way it was.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Showers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
LOL not me! I cant wake up without a shower in the morninig even if its just a very quick scamp one. Even a simple sponge bath works better if you have a hot water tank and a shower head to rinse off quickly with. Being a long term kayaker and back packer I do know about the alternatives but I purchased a trailer with a water heater and a shower to avoid them when possible - not to say I dont ever do the alternatives. I also do go without water hook ups all the time. Can get by for a fair number of days even with my quick showers without having to top off the water tank using portable water totes.
Carol, I can understand both yours and Byron's position on showering. I like to shower every morning also but when I am wilderness tent camping a dip in the lake is almost as good. I do not understand people who never shower nor the ones who feel the need to shower twice a day even though they have done nothing physical. All said I would rather have a bath / hot shower in my trailer , sometimes one really needs a hot shower
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote