Water heater - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I think that I would have to run that test with and without the pilot light on first. The pilot is only about 100 BTU and that's not going to do much to keep 4 gallons of water warm in cool ambient temp. In addition, the pilot is almost right at the open end of the fire tube. As I mentioned, the insulation alone will keep 4 gallons warm all night.

We couldn't get a 4 gallon electric light water heater when I put one in the Lil' Bigfoot and found it was a lot more inconvenient to have to go outside to turn the heater on and off, especialy when it's below 30 in the mornings. With the electric start I can reach the switch without even getting out of bed, just hearing it flame up makes you feel warmer.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #22

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
I guess you would have to try it Bob first to find out for your self. But I have done this for years and it has worked wonderfully for me.

My method would work very good if your dry camping. For me it's works. Its tried and true. And really saves on the propane if your boon docking.

What works for me may not work for sombody else. But if sombody wanted somthing simple and there was not a hot water installed before I think old school hot water heater is the way to go. Its simple and very few parts to wear out. And its a lot cheaper.

I have done this up in the North West where is gets very cool to cold at night and its always done me good.

The only draw back it in extream side wind blows out the pilot, but I beleive they make a deflection sheild for the vents on the doors if memory serves me right.

But 99.9 precent of the time the pilot has stayed lit.
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
It seems that nobody posting in this thread has voiced any concern for the effects on the environment that an outside shower tent causes. Allowing untreated water to discharge directly on the ground is actually illegal in most places, and in bad taste everywhere, even when boon-docking. You are crapping up the very places you are trying to escape to and enjoy, and not just for yourselves, but for everyone else as well. And yes, for the record, shower water is untreated water (gray water.) Do you also throw your empty beer bottles in the bushes too? It's a disgusting way to treat the earth and shows little respect for nature and other campers.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 05:52 PM   #24

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I don't know about the others but with my shower tent I stand in a blue walmart bin and catch my shower water then I dump it in to a 5 gallon gray water toat for disposal later.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #25

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I catch the shower water in a plastic bin and dump it into the sink. And I pick up beer bottles from the bushes that idiots toss there.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #26

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
It seems that nobody posting in this thread has voiced any concern for the effects on the environment that an outside shower tent causes. Allowing untreated water to discharge directly on the ground is actually illegal in most places, and in bad taste everywhere, even when boon-docking. You are crapping up the very places you are trying to escape to and enjoy, and not just for yourselves, but for everyone else as well. And yes, for the record, shower water is untreated water (gray water.) Do you also throw your empty beer bottles in the bushes too? It's a disgusting way to treat the earth and shows little respect for nature and other campers.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your question is a good one, unfortunately your attitude and assumptions aren't.

Outside shower tents cause no harm whatsoever to the environment, however users of same may do so.....

As for us, we use either a plastic kiddie pool or an inflatable mini-pool to catch our shower water which we can then bail out either with a tupperware container and a 5 gallon pail or we can pump it into the larger container using a Zodi shower pump.

And, unless you know something the rest of us don't know about someone, making the jump from shower water to irresponsible alcohol consumption is just plain rude and uncalled for.....

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:56 PM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: Nomad
Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your question is a good one, unfortunately your attitude and assumptions aren't.

Outside shower tents cause no harm whatsoever to the environment, however users of same may do so.....

As for us, we use either a plastic kiddie pool or an inflatable mini-pool to catch our shower water which we can then bail out either with a tupperware container and a 5 gallon pail or we can pump it into the larger container using a Zodi shower pump.

And, unless you know something the rest of us don't know about someone, making the jump from shower water to irresponsible alcohol consumption is just plain rude and uncalled for.....

Bob I got your back on this one.

I could not agree you with more. Here Here!
RV NUT CASE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Sorry if I came off seeming to be presumptive. Mea Culpa. But there are also many who are not as conscientious about their "run-off" as most of you fine folks. Still, I did make a blanket statement, and I am sorry to those I may have offended. Just trying to stick up for Mother Nature, not trying to berate anyone.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote