Water heater options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Water heater options

Hello fellow fiberglass friends, I am looking for ideas on a water heater replacement. I would like to stay with possibly a 12 volt system but will not rule out propane. Preferably one I could store in a cubby and attach to the camper when I need it. I know this is a tall order but I have faith in this community. Thanks
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
There are no 12 volt water heaters that I am aware of since the amount of amperage necessary to heat water would be prohibitive. You're best bet would be an Outdoor Propane Tankless Gas Water Heater such as a Camplux or Eccotemp. If I ever feel the need for hot water in my Boler, that would be what I would get.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 01:01 PM   #3

Name: Kip
Trailer: Hunter
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
There are no 12 volt water heaters that I am aware of since the amount of amperage necessary to heat water would be prohibitive. You're best bet would be an Outdoor Propane Tankless Gas Water Heater such as a Camplux or Eccotemp. If I ever feel the need for hot water in my Boler, that would be what I would get.

Great info thanks
Fiberglassflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:50 PM   #4

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I built a box on the tongue and mounted a FASTAR tankless LP water heater for about $90.00

The box with the Lexan door is to try to keep the water spray out when towing in the rain.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Adams View Post
There are no 12 volt water heaters that I am aware of since the amount of amperage necessary to heat water would be prohibitive....
But there are many 12 volt DC water heaters available!

Most look like this:

And they work OK for keeping a cup of coffee warm...
https://www.amazon.com/Beverage-Heat.../dp/B07M6HWS2Q
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 05:25 PM   #6

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
OK Gordon, you got me!
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #7

Name: Derek
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hot water heaters

Yes there are 12V hot water heaters on the market BUT if you need more than one coffee cup of hot water to bathe in you're out of luck!
If you want to go low tech and you only need it in the summer there are portable 'plastic bag showers'. Certainly no carbon footprint there! Here is one 'review site' for camping showers...

https://showerhacks.com/best-solar-shower/
Keep clean.

Derek
burrorojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:16 PM   #8

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
It's hard to beat the traditional water heater.

How do you feel about a passive solar water heater? I am talking about the black hose inside a glass box that you put on the roof. Run your water through the roof hose before it goes to your shower head, or sink faucet. It would be a little thicker than a 100 watt solar panel yet about the same square footage on the roof.
Even just a black garden hose on the roof, or laying out on the ground in the hot sun, will warm the water enough for a shower.
Fancier systems will use copper tubing painted black…

I toyed with this idea, haven't abandoned it yet, but there are things higher on my to-do list that have prevented this so far.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote