Watters Amerigo Rebuild - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #29

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
Here's a couple of the bolts that were pulled from the door when I removed the hinges.

I might have to consider replacing these.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140716_151032.jpg  

Old 07-18-2014, 10:13 AM   #30

Indiana
Oh, and the roof might need a little cleaning up.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20140708_201717.jpg  

Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM   #31

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Mike looks like a nice project you have going. I am also remodeling an Amerigo Mine is a 1977 near the same but different door. I just laid the new floor in mine and was wondering how you fastened your down to the fiberglass bottom?? I found angle tabs that had been welded to the frame and I ran carriage bolts. I did however find that not all of the tabs lined up with my plywood. The holes fell right on the seam of the plywood so I drilled holes through the plywood and the fiberglass and ran carriage bolts with large fender washers. like I said just curious how you did yours. I also live in Ind. northeast part of the state. Any chance we are near one another?
Old 08-28-2014, 09:04 PM   #32

Indiana
I'm in the Northwest part - Valparaiso.

Attaching the floor: The plywood in front was "mostly" fine - so I didn't pull it. I just laid more on top to beef it up and smooth it out. Laid plywood on top of the fiberglass bottom in the back half. There's a distinct seam in the floor of different heights. Seems to have been that way originally in this trailer. Very odd.

Anyway, I attached to the plywood using construction adhesive - no bolts. In the front - it was construction adhesive plus some wood screws into the old plywood.

Rate of progress has been VERY slow. Various reasons for it. Camping trips with the kids - visiting with Grandma - work on the house - work. All took priority. What I've done lately has just been to start rewiring the running lights. New plus - all new wires - new lights everywhere. Still have to finish all that and test it before I start filling in the interior.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #33

Name: Andrew
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
Hey there Mike, My original thought was to use construction adhesive but once I laid the 3/4" plywood down I realized the board would not lay flat and I would have to screw/bolt it down. my biggest fear is that over time the fiberglass may crack around the bolts. fingers crossed that I don't have an issue a few years down the road.
Sound like we are in the same spot in our projects. I have most of my running lights wired and installed new tail light assemblies all LED looks good. I am also starting to look for interior lighting. I have decided to go all LED inside, this will greatly increase the life of my battery's between charges. The whole elect set up is got me scratching my head a bit. 12 volt 110volt converter and inverter and how to wire it all up. Hoping to find a wire sematic to aid me but no luck yet. I plan on starting a thread for my complete remod. I will give you a link so you can follow and see some pic's. if you have any questions or ideas let me know good luck lol
Old 08-29-2014, 02:13 PM   #34

Indiana
LED lighting is cooler too. (less heat)

Converter wiring - if you buy a new converter - I would think it would come with a schematic.

I'm not going to bother with an on-board battery. Everywhere we go has electrical hookups anyway, so it's gonna be a plug-in trailer, mix of 110 and 12V. No built-in stove either. I will have on-board water though, just for washing dishes.

Tags
amerigo