Wave 3 operation - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Casita
Wave 3 operation

I tried to start a separate thread at the Casita site, but the webmaster put it in to an existing thread. If you want to do the homework, check out posts #37, 43, 53 & 55 at the Casita site under "Wave 3" thread. What I would like to determine is how folks operate their W3's. If you have a W3 please post up the details. IE: ventilation, ambient temp, altitude & such. For this purpose, I really don't think we care about your installation, safety comments & such. I'm very interested in knowing how cold it can get and still maintain your trailer in the mid to high 60's.I'll go first.
17'casita SD. I open the side window 1.5", which gives the required 24 sq. in. I never did understand why you would open the upper vent for ventilation, when you know that hot air rises. I also open the bath window about an inch, and have an automatic door closer the keep the bath door open about 2".
With the ventilation established I can then regulate the heat with the FFan vent cover. Just a few days ago I determined that the low setting on the W3 is almost too much for the low 40's. I should also state that I have reflectix on 3 of the windows. And I was at about 1000' elevation.
When not in use, my W3 is covered. Under the cover I have a safety device. See attached photo.
My thanks in advance. Your comments & experience will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
W3sign.JPG  
LK Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Here's a direct link to the first post in Wave 3 on the CasitaForum: http://www.casitaforum.com/invboard/...wave-3-heater/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:59 PM   #3

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13 Front Washroom, Van Camper
New Brunswick
I suspect opening the upper vent will improve air circulation when you have a side window open.

Sent from my XT1028 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Briantb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:30 AM   #4

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
I think the idea is to carry the water up and out through the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 09:37 AM   #5

Name: kevin
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Colorado
Wave 3 Operation

There is a pretty good, say almost 1 inch crack under my door, I use that and prop the top vent on top of the red latch. This gives a good amount of ventilation and keeps any C02 and water vapor from the heater moving up and out of the camper.

I keep reflectix on the windows which makes a BIG difference. I have used the setup up to 10,000 feet and down into the 20s. I was toasty warm. The trick is to heat up the camper by either cooking dinner or hot chocolate. When it is cold it takes a long time to heat up without the extra help. Obviously I run my extractor fan when I have the stove on and for a few minutes afterward.
KevinScamps is offline   Reply With Quote