Wet Bath in Scamp 16' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
We just bought an '89 Scamp sixteen-footer and it's in pretty good shape except for some cosmetic things. The only "big" thing we gave up in this purchase was a shower in the bathroom (Scamps aren't too common out here, it would seem). Any suggestions on a good, easy way to add a shower? Please note that our scamp is lined with that "nautical" fabric and the wall with the window in the bathroom is covered in it. I doubt we can take it off so I suppose something will have to cover it.

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-03-2010, 07:19 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
We just bought an '89 Scamp sixteen-footer and it's in pretty good shape except for some cosmetic things. The only "big" thing we gave up in this purchase was a shower in the bathroom (Scamps aren't too common out here, it would seem). Any suggestions on a good, easy way to add a shower? Please note that our scamp is lined with that "nautical" fabric and the wall with the window in the bathroom is covered in it. I doubt we can take it off so I suppose something will have to cover it.

Thanks for your help!
Well... before you worry about the wall covering:

Do you have a water heater?

Is there an onboard gray water tank?

Is the "water closet" on the streetside or in front? Does it include a sink? (Isn't the galley sink on the curbside?)

You may want to consider perhaps the overall simplest solution: get one of those pop-up "cabanas" and a propane tankless heater/shower like this one...

Here's an example of tankless heater... Lots of options out there.
Attached Thumbnails
10L_gas_tankless_water_heater_free_.jpg   10L_gas_tankless_water_heater_free_.jpg  

Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:53 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
THought this was a clever shower solution if you don't have one. It starts with a blue water container, then water pump. Just keep hitting "next" on the picture sets. Photo descriptions are at the bottom. The end photo shows what you stand in. The photo set starts Here
Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Some owners of popups use a cut down laundry tub inside a bench and hang a shower curtain from the ceiling.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozandus/2000Fl...713484782597618
Old 03-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shower pan, hotwater, coldwater, plumbing to outside. You may find it easier to either put in an outside shower, use a portable shower house or rig something up inside that's temporary. Here's a link I posted back in August. You need to be a member of YahooScampers to view the pictures:
Adding a shower to a 17' Boler. - Donna D's post
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #6

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Thanks for the great ideas. This is sort of a down-the-road project, but it's nice to have things to think about. We'll keep you posted on what we decide to do and how it works. Thanks again everyone!
Old 03-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
As Donna D posted, sometimes an outside shower is the easiest solution when CG or RV park showers are not available. In our nearly 4 years of full-timing in a Scamp 13 (no bath) we used a StanSport "privacy cabana" quite successfully. Our 'shower pan' was the base of the storage tub which carried the shower stuff: Coleman hand-held shower/pump setup, D-cell batteries, etc. This kept the grey water contained for proper disposal later. Water was heated in a large kettle on the camp stove - pop in the submersible pump and voila - a warm shower! The whole outfit stored in our tug when not in use, but was SUPER handy for dry-camping on BLM lands and even in an RV park where the showers were closed for 'repairs'. Just our experience ... YMMV. Whatever you choose, we wish you safe journeys and many, many happy memories. L 'n D

Yes, Donna, I WILL count up the days ... should be an interesting number
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #8

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
The very first mod I did to our 16 ft Scamp was to add an outside shower. Now I have an inside shower (have never used) which means I have a water heater. I just cut into the curb side added an outside shower and bought a porta privy tent. The porta privy is very cool it takes about 30 seconds to set up, made from memory wire. I also added 5 ft to the shower hose to make it a total of 10 for a good reach.

Advatage: Lots of room to shower and you do not fill up your grey water tank.

Negative: Once in your shower you have to reach outside to change the water temp. If it is real cold outside the first few seconds are a little cold.

The next mod I just finished was to add a second water tank to support our showers. Our trailer now holds 28 gallons plus the water heater, which is more then my gray water can hold, but most of the water use is outside in the shower.

All and all I love this setup and dont think I would ever use the inside shower unless it was snowing.
Attached Thumbnails
626.JPG  
Matthew A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #9

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
Some owners of popups use a cut down laundry tub inside a bench and hang a shower curtain from the ceiling.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ozandus/2000Fl...713484782597618
CLEVER!!!!
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 11:16 PM   #10

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
We use a battery operated pump with a shower head. We fill up the sink with hot water, and use......an inflatable kiddie wading pool. A really small one. It blows up in seconds, can be put in the middle of the floor, deflates for easy storage. After use, I just put the pump in the "tub" and suck the water back into the sink where it can be drained away.
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp