What another solar question ????? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-03-2016, 07:22 AM   #15

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Thanks

Well you guys have restored my faith in forums, often the responses get skewed and its frustrating to try and dig out the information your looking for.

I wasn't going to put the inverter in the trailer and run it off the TV batteries, as you say... that is a big wire. To be clear I don't need a big inverter and if I do get one it will be about 300 watts.

I have received a 12 volt converter for the cpap and it looks like the draw will be 8 amps overnight.

We are heading out tonight to see if the bugs are out in the adirondacks

I appreciate all your comments

TMak

Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 AM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmaken2157 View Post
Well you guys have restored my faith in forums, often the responses get skewed and its frustrating to try and dig out the information your looking for. ...
Sometimes the person asking the question contributes to the skewing...

Quote:

Lets say two batteries, panel and 1000-1500 watt inverter in the truck bed.
...)
and later:

Quote:
... To be clear I don't need a big inverter and if I do get one it will be about 300 watts....
If you were going to run an inverter that big than than the idea of having it in the truck, along with batteries dedicated to the trailer's power needs and solar equipment has much merit.

But with the smaller inverter you are now taking about, esp if only used rarely, then perhaps not so much.

In any event, this is an interesting project with lots of different ways to do it. I hope that you keep us posted.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:27 AM   #17

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
I like the inverter sound being in the truck. According to Steve If we need ac for anything I can just use an extension cord.

I also really like your suggestion Rogerdat that keeps things separate.

So

"Or just use that wire and a trolling motor 12 volt plug. One on the TV and one pigtailed to the trailer 12 volt system or with spade connectors that plug into the trailer plug at the hitch."

Sorry to sound dumb but would a connection like that also help to charge the trailer battery. I assume all batteries should be the same type and age ideally.

I see in my future a situation where I have two rv's, one for a home base that is "larger" and roomier, and the casita for the warmer weather adventures, so I would prefer to have the bulk of the solar systems in the truck.

Thanks for your input, much appreciate
I'm thinking for what you describe maybe running power from the solar down to the vehicle trailer plug hot and ground might make sense. Trailer expects to get charge for house battery from pig tail that plugs into trailer.

Only issue I can think of is the ground to vehicle that is used by trailer lights vs. negative lead from solar. Might need to use the aux pin of the 7 pin for the solar negative. Unless you already have something using it.

that is what made me think of running your own pair of wires to the battery or trailer 12 volt junction using trolling motor plug from the solar. In effect you would connect solar to batteries in truck AND provide a plug to extend that circuit back to the trailer. Using own pair of wires. Plugged in you charge or draw from TV batteries. Not plugged in the trailer battery is on its own.

These are basic plugs http://stuff4boats.com/wp-content/up...closeup_lg.jpg Not expensive and available at places like Walmart.

But this Google image search shows a wide variety of plug and socket combinations. Some I'm sure you could add to your hitch as dedicated solar power connection if you wanted to.
https://www.google.com/search?q=trol...UQsAQIOQ#imgrc=_

Pretty sure if you feed the power to the line going back to the house battery from your solar panel it would get charged too. Not sure how much panel it would take to put out enough to "do the deed" for 3 batteries. Solar will produce X number of amps per hour so it can only add X divided by number of batteries that will take a charge.

Tags
solar