What is a good depth for upper end cabinets? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2013, 05:37 PM   #1

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
I've read most of the threads on building upper front and rear end cabinets and I have the tools, knowledge and experience to make my own. However, I not sure how deep I should make them? The height is obviously very limited by the space above the front/rear window-- I believe the factory depth of the cabinets is about 17-19". Does anyone wish they were 20-24 deep? Are their any cons to making really deep cabinets?
We are family of 4 with 2 young boys, so will likely make up our bed to use the table. That leaves us with our bedding/pillows to stash away, I sleep with 3 pillows, wife can use 1-2. I will use smaller or half size pillows in the Scamp. My thoughts were that a really deep rear cabinet might be helpful for storing pillows- I can think of a reason not to make super deep.
I plan on also adding side cabinets.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Ryan, I remember when Peterh (and Lynne) were making a rear cabinet for their Scamp 5er, Peter made certain that a Monopoly game would fit. I'm guessing you read this three page thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ons-40107.html

The only condition I see in making them really deep is you're in affect lowering the ceiling when you're sitting at the rear dinette. Maybe tape up a piece of cardboard to the depth (and length) you think you'll want. Sit at the dinette and check it out. Easier to pull a piece of cardboard down, than rebuild a cabinet
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Ryan I just happen to have a factory Scamp overhead bin sitting on the floor of my basement and I checked - at its deepest point its 18". Its deep enough to take a few standard size pillows without a problem.

I would be reluctant to make them much deeper - especially the front one as I think it would pretty encroaching/imposing up front if where deeper. In fact there is only a few inches of clearance between my side bathroom wall and the cabinet as it is. Just enough room to slip my solar panel in place for storage up against the bathroom wall and secured to it with bungee cords.

I am not sure about your year of trailer but one of the reasons that Scamp normally only puts in side cabinets at the rear of the 16' standard is the height of the rear window. I know they do put rear cabinets into the deluxe model but I seem to recall they are the same depth as the side cabinets and they can do it on that model as the window is a little different? may be incorrect on that - its possible the side cabinets are not as high instead. The bottom of the rear stock side cabinets in the 16' standard sit slightly below the height of the rear window - so if you where to put a rear cabinet in, the bottom needs to be higher than the stock side cabinet bottoms. The height between the top of the window and roof is pretty limited so I know a lot of folks have added a simple shelf between the two side cabinets for holding small items such as books etc.

Hope that helps - look forward to seeing pictures of your project!!
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #4

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
Thx Carol.

I made up a card mock up and decided on 21". 24" would have worked just fine, but making it just 3" smaller really seemed to keep things from feeling to crowded above your head.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote