What is Best Way to Wire to TV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2011, 07:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 1993 13 ft Scamp
Registry
What is Best Way to Wire to TV?

I saw Peter's post on "how to run wire under rat fur" which was fantastic!! and was wondering if anyone had a post somewhere on how to add a 110 outlet & a good way to put coax RG6 up near the same outlet? I have a 110 outlet near my sink & the thermostat.

My plan is to put a flat 15 or smaller tv on a adjustable mount up to the right of the closet & have a 110 & coax outlet up near the tv. I would put a wood piece in the upper right part of the closet to re enforce the mount.

Also.. what is a good way to have it ready to run coax out to a dish? Is it better to have a outlet mounted on the outside of the camper or to have 20 feet of coax stored under the seat & put it out the Scamp's power cord hole to the dish?

Thank you for all your info!!
barryra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:25 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
For a non-permanent or temporary solution to running cable you can try the flat coaxial cable. It's cheap enough to give a try. I think you can also get it at Radio Shack for a much higher price. Amazon.com: Flat Coaxial Cable Coupler: Electronics
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #3

Registry
Thanks Ray,

I must be asking some really dumb questions since I have so few replies. Maybe I should think about things before I put them on here. Sorry about that.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM   #4

Registry
Actually, I've also been wondering about a good way to put a coaxial connection through the hull of my egg. I'm really surprised at the lack of responses. Surely quite a few people have done this?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:20 AM   #5

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Thanks Ray,

I must be asking some really dumb questions since I have so few replies. Maybe I should think about things before I put them on here. Sorry about that.
Barry, Don't worry about dumb questions. Here's what I used for my antenna connection.

Weatherproof Cable TV Kit, Connect Park Cable TV or Satellite to RV

That will get you outside the camper. For inside, I just added RG6 feed through and a 120vac behind the TV mounting area. I connected the 120 outlet from one over the sink. You can get connectors, cable, and tools to make up RG6 cables at Home Depot or Lowes.

Now I'm thinking of adding a 12vdc outlet beside the 120vac outlet, because the TV will actually run on 12v and I won't need to use the adapter plug.

For my antenna, I mounted it to a painter's telescoping pole attached with "U" bolts to the spare tire mount. Check out my trailer registry page.

Good luck.
Ron
Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Hi Barry, My coax runs in the cabinets and then down to the rear of the refrigerator for access through the frig access panel. No drilling!
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I think the way this is done with an "F connector female to female" something like this through the trailer shell Barrel F Type Connector Female to Female Gold Plated F-81 Splice Coupler 2 Pack Jointer Adapter Inline Coax Connector Double Female In Line Audio Video Signal Component Plugs: Oak Entertainment Centers and Home Office Furniture, TV Antennas, Audio/Vi

To install on a trailer if there's a fixed flange I'd put it outside with some butyl under the flange. Be sure to put a bit of silicon dielectric grease on it after installation, both inside and outside.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:19 PM   #8

Registry
Speaking with no experience in the matter, it looks like the simple "barrel F type connector" would only make one hole in the shell, while the "Weatherproof cable TV Kit" would require the same hole plus two screw holes. Cover the outside end of the barrel connector with a cap and it should be weatherproof, even if not as elegant.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:21 PM   #9

Registry
Thanks for the tips & links to parts! I forgot that people were busy for the Easter weekend & may not have been able to reply.

I was thinking maybe I could have the coax go up near the bench near the sink & up under the rat fir over to the top of the closet. I could keep about 15-20 feet of coax wound up undert he bench where the power cord is & then put it out the cord hole when I wanted to hook it to a dish or antenna.

Or would a barrel F connector be a better route? Thanks again!!
Old 04-25-2011, 02:00 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryra View Post
Thanks for the tips & links to parts! I forgot that people were busy for the Easter weekend & may not have been able to reply.

I was thinking maybe I could have the coax go up near the bench near the sink & up under the rat fir over to the top of the closet. I could keep about 15-20 feet of coax wound up undert he bench where the power cord is & then put it out the cord hole when I wanted to hook it to a dish or antenna.

Or would a barrel F connector be a better route? Thanks again!!
As with many things there's trade offs. Generally shorter cable the better, but maybe not that much better. If you're camped in an area where the signal is quite weak it could make the difference between lots of picture break ups and little break ups.