What is this 20amp 4pin for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Name: Casey
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
What is this 20amp 4pin for?

So I am the proud new owner of a 2007 Casita 17SD. This was purchased from a dealer as a trade in. The prior owner made this modification, and nobody knows what for.

Any ideas what this 20amp 4pin could do? It is wired into the inverter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2889.jpg   IMG_2891.jpg  

Caseyb476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:44 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
What does it look like inside that access panel?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:45 AM   #3

Colorado
It's just a wire that runs to the inverter panel on the inside of the trailer.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
Looks like he converted the trailer to a removable 120vAC cord and stuck that 4 prong plug into the door. Are you sure it's connected to an inverter and not the converter?

The "normal" panel in there is a converter. An inverter would be added on somehow.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I would guess, (I stress GUESS) it is 120 VAC from the inverter. PO probably had an extension cord that ended in a regular plug on the far end.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:49 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I would guess, (I stress GUESS) it is 120 VAC from the inverter. PO probably had an extension cord that ended in a regular plug on the far end.
If you're right, that's kind of a dangerous plug on the trailer. Plug the female end of a normal extension cord in there and you'd have a "hot" male plug at the other end. Or an extension cord with two female ends I suppose.

Kind of makes me wonder, if it's to an inverter, why the previous owner didn't just put an exterior outlet box nearby.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I use the exact same connector for my portable solar panels, but it's wired directly to the battery on a 12 inch run. Mine is mounted on my frame.

Perhaps it is tapped into the battery charge line from the convertor? It's not the best way to do it, but it would work.

If you have a voltmeter and know how to use it, I would measure the output of the pins on a dc scale first to see if you get 12v at any combo. If not, plug the rig in and see if there is AC there. If there is..glue the lid shut, or better yet..rip the whole thing out if you have the skills.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:55 AM   #8

Colorado
It looks like the wires run to the fuse panel, with 1 wire running to a 20 amp fuse, and the other running to the battery negative connection.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #9

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
I use the exact same connector for my portable solar panels, but it's wired directly to the battery on a 12 inch run. Mine is mounted on my frame.

Perhaps it is tapped into the battery charge line from the convertor? It's not the best way to do it, but it would work.
Thanks Gina, I thought it might be solar. What panels are you using? And I am not sure I understand what you mean by mounting on the frame? Are you just referring to a different mounting location for the connection, or is this a bad wiring set up?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:03 AM   #10

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
I would say Solar hookup.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:10 AM   #11

Colorado
Which panels come with a proper connection for that? Or do I still need to run a controller and everything?
Old 04-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #12

Registry
My portable panels are Sun. I have 2 50 watt ones "on the ground" and 2 Seimens 75 watt ones on the roof. Both setts have their own controllers which are wired directly to the battery.

Yes, you are correct, the connector and pigtail are whats mounted on the frame. It was easy to make a bracket for that connector (I just used a standard L bracket found in any hardware store) The "ears" on that connector with the existing mounting holes are bolted to one flange of the bracket, the other flange is screwed into an existing hole on the tongue. EZ PZ.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:16 AM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseyb476 View Post
Which panels come with a proper connection for that? Or do I still need to run a controller and everything?
Yes, you will need a controller for any panel over 15 watts. As far as the connections, "Kit" panels (Like harbor freight) usually come with some cheesy 2 pin auto style connector, others come with none at all..you make your own or your installer does.

Before you jump through those hoops tho, measure the pins on the connector electrically...you need to determine just WHAT it is..tho I am 90% sure it's 12v.

I have come across so many misguided owner mods that I kinda refuse to say for sure. It's running directly to a fuse is odd for solar..maybe it was set up for the output of a generator for battery charging. A fuse would be appropriate for that.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #14

Registry
I haven’t had much use for solar power so that option never occurred to me. But if forced to think about it, it makes sense to have the live dc current carrying cable from the panels to be safely recessed in a female plug end. You wouldn’t want the cable flopping around shorting out on something before you plug it in. That requires the trailer battery side to be male.

I'm probably stating the obvious...
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #15

Registry
and btw, that connector is not a "solar" unique connector. It's a 4 pin towing light connector. I chose to use one because of the current capability, the durability, and of course the easy of mounting for my situation. The lid helps too.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #16

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If it's wired to the inverter it would be a 120VAC connector for a custom made extension cord, with the matching plug at one end and a std 15/20 amp cap at the other.

I would "suspect" that the P.O. used that odd-ball method of connecting to indicate that it was connected to the inverter

or

Same answer if it's connected to the "Converter", except for 12 VDC.

Best bet... get out the volt meter and find out what's on the pins. And shame on the dealer for not having a better answer.

BTW: That's a standard connector and matching plugs are easy to find. I think that they are also used as a trail light connector instead of a flat 4 connector.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:10 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Might this be a spare battery connector for extra run time on the inverter?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I used one of those to connect a battery charger to my battery before I got a new power converter. That way I didn't have to get under the bed mattress and open up the battery box to hook up the charger. Mine is mounted inside the trailer. Used 2 pins of the male plug with short leads on it to hook my charger to.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote