What Laminate Flooring did you use? Would you use the same brand again? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2011, 08:29 AM   #1

Name: Aaron
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe
Michigan
What Laminate Flooring did you use? Would you use the same brand again?

I'm wondering what the best brand laminate is to use. I have read over the years that some doesnt lock together good or isnt milled right or it buckles and the list goes on. So what brand did you use? Did it lock together easy and stay tight? Would you use that brand again. Where is it from? Thanks
iplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:31 AM   #2

Michigan
Menards has the Tarkett brand on sale. No to worried about the sale but have read mixed reviews on it. Anybody have it in their trailer?
Old 12-26-2011, 08:33 AM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I got mine at home Depot, all but one piece locked properly. A hit with a wooden hammer took care of it, the trim was a little tedious though.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: none
Minnesota
Registry
I used whatever brand Menards has for their laminate cork flooring....just love it (also laminate we installed in the house, Pergo) .....just have to make sure grooves and locking flange are clear (used folded sandpaper) and found with 3 brand I have worked with (Pergo, Tarkett, that cork brand?) some pieces just will not click together, must be the 10-20% they talk about in ordering/instructions.......and with laminate in trailer Im really surprised, it has gone through 1 winter/summer no buckling ( I really thought it would), but the pieces must not be long enough so the expansion /contraction is not a issue?
Hambone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
I don't have laminate in this trailer, but I looked a fair bit before buying and installing some in my living room. Picked up sample squares from Lumber Liquidators, Home Depot, Lowe's, and Sam's Club. I was pretty interested in the Lumber Liquidators laminates (they have a store nearby) until I tried scraping a coin (appying moderate pressure) across all the samples I'd collected. All of the LL samples scratched or indented easily! Hardly any of the samples from other stores were like that. In the end I bought the stuff from Sam's Club. It locked well and installation went fine (other than my slowness), and 1.5 years later it still looks great.

I had some laminate in my former Burro, but Floyd put that in... maybe he will comment about the brand.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:31 AM   #6

Michigan
Thanks everyone....Very helpful. Anyone else please feel free.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #7

Name: Richard & Carolyn
Trailer: 2000 Casita SD 17'
Gabriola Island, BC
Registry
I'm assuming the laminate was run long ways not across the trailer??
Never done this before but am contemplating it so looking for options and opinions.
Thanks,
Richard
Greybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard View Post
I'm assuming the laminate was run long ways not across the trailer??
Never done this before but am contemplating it so looking for options and opinions.
Thanks,
Richard
I have seen it run both ways. We are trying to decide which way we like better.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:54 PM   #9

Michigan
anybody else?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM   #10

Name: Don
Trailer: 1975 BIOD Extase
Alberta
Registry
I used something called Allure from Home Depot. Can't say enough good about it! For one thing, it's mallable, so it easily cut for corners. Made of vinyl type compound. Each strip has a 3" edge with adhesive. The top of one piece sticks to the bottom of the other, making it watertight. I bought the "cork" and it hides dirt like you couldn't believe, which is important when you're all over in a FG trailer. Here's the link to it, you won't regret it. Allure
trilliumdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
I used something called Allure from Home Depot. Can't say enough good about it! For one thing, it's mallable, so it easily cut for corners. Made of vinyl type compound. Each strip has a 3" edge with adhesive. The top of one piece sticks to the bottom of the other, making it watertight. I bought the "cork" and it hides dirt like you couldn't believe, which is important when you're all over in a FG trailer. Here's the link to it, you won't regret it. Allure
I put Allure in my Uhaul and love it- I didn't have any experience putting flooring in and this was a breeze- Used large shears to cut it - easy to keep clean and looks great too
Lynne VDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM   #12

Michigan
Thanks guys. I will see if it comes in a shade my wife will approve of.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:00 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
One big thing to look for on the laminate is the the abrasion class (AC) rating for durability - it should be on the box. The class tells you how tough the wear layer on the surface of the laminate is. Look for an AC rating min of 3 - the higher you go from 3 the better.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilliumdon View Post
Picked up some color samples tonight. It's a lot thinner than laminate, which I like. But I think the laminate does look more like real wood. Did you go over carpet? I will be pulling ours out.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:52 PM   #15

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
I also used the Allure. Much as I love it for all the reasons already mentioned and I think it looks great in my old camper without "over-improving" it -- it is HEAVY!

If I were to do it again I think I would use cork!
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 09:47 AM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Allure the only way to go. It also is a floating floor.
It's a little on the heavy side and won't warp and buckle like laminate.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 10:23 AM   #17

Michigan
Do you guys have any pictures of your Allure floors? Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by iplumb View Post
Do you guys have any pictures of your Allure floors? Thanks
Mine's in the Registry.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #19

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Mine's in the Registry.
Thx..Nice trailer!
Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #20

Trailer: Play Pac
I also used Allure on one of my campers. I'm going to use it again in my Playpac I'm fixing up. It really turned out nice in the Avion and people think its real wood. You can see photos of it here - the little pink carpets were temporary put in by my six year old niece....

Avion - a set on Flickr
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote