What "must have" modifications has everyone done to their trailer? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2012, 11:46 PM   #41

Name: Amber
Trailer: 1978 Scamp 13'
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat
My must have list is pretty simple.
[*]LED lights for the low power draw from battery. Maybe $50 cost +/-[*]A canopy or awning solution. - makes a world of difference in terms of shade comfort and rain hassle. $150 for ez-up type (kind of heavy and bulky) or much less for some of the creative solutions posted on this forum. Or more $ for a stock RV awning attached to trailer.[*]At least 1 well placed 12 volt outlet.[*]Additional 110 outlet(s) as needed. Some people want lots, some an outside outlet, I just consider having only one under the sink a little short of ideal. Older trailers without GFI outlets should have at least one protecting each circut.[*]One of those little battery powered fans that go in fridge to circulate the cold air.[*]A small cube electric heater.
Storage solutions! With space at a premium and clutter easily able to overwhelm a small trailer, this is on my must have list.

Smaller solutions such as bins, baskets and storage containers. Those inexpensive suction hooks stuck to fiberglass to hang small items (2 hooks + small basket = night stand)

Bigger projects such as putting drawers into under couch/seat storage areas, outside access door for those under seat areas, additional storage overhead, or roll out bins and trays. Closet treatments such as shelves (Ikea is a popular source) are all things to think about during remodel.

Comfortable folding chair completes my "must have" list.

On the worth considering during a re-model list.

[*]Power vent fan, a decent one can move enough air to do a complete exchange of all the air in camper in a few minutes. Have heard good things about Fantastic fans (they have free spacers to compensate for thin fiberglass install, how cool is that) Max Air is the other big name. Most put this as a must have, pretty good investment in comfort starting at less than $150[*]Solar panel and controller - might as well wire for and plan for storage location of panel if not roof mounted.[*]Inverter for 12 volt DC to 110 AC wiring, mounting location during remodel. Might also consider air flow (they can get hot).[*]Converter for 110 AC to 12 volt DC when connected to campground power. wiring and mounting location during remodel, might also consider air flow.[*]Computer type 12 volt fan(s) to help vent area behind fridge and make fridge more efficient. During remodel is best time to run those wires. It is also a good time to consider overall air flow behind fridge, adding baffles or better venting across fridge cooling fins, and possibly add insulation on sides and top.[*]Outside light if one not already built in.[*]Television mounting and antenna mount and wiring. TV while camping is not my thing but many find this important, especially if they use camper full time or for long duration, during remodel is best time to consider.[*]Water system - people have mentioned electric heating element for gas hot water tank (you pay for propane but elec. is included in campsite price), If you don't have a city water hook up this might be the time to look at that. On older hand pump sink trailer it's when I would think about wiring in a 12 volt pump and switch.
Brand new Scamp owners We just got ours Thursday. So excited for the trips and memories it's going to bring! I love the "nightstand" idea! Thank you so much for that lifesaver!
Amber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 AM   #42

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
My question is if you put in a Fantastic fan, doesn't that take away the gun turret/escape route in the shorter trailers?
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:55 AM   #43

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
My question is if you put in a Fantastic fan, doesn't that take away the gun turret/escape route in the shorter trailers?
Only if you replace the passive vent with a powered fan, nobody says you can't have both and some owners have done just that, even on the 13 footers.

That's what I plan to do when the time comes on my 16 footer.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #44

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Rob, thanks for the great instructions on how you did your vent lighting.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:17 PM   #45

Name: Will
Trailer: '73 Trillium 1300
Manitoba
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgrugg View Post
My term for "must have" is "gottahavit".
Gottahavit?
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 11:00 AM   #46

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndi B. View Post
I ordered a fan with my Scamp and the factory simply installed it forward so it's pretty much over my head when I'm standing at the stove. The large emergency exit vent is in the rear as normal and over my bed which I like. I carry a solar panel which I put on the roof. The large exit vent allows me to stand on the bed and put the solar panel up through the vent onto the roof. I have "attic access", as a good friend calls it.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #47

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnesotaJill View Post
Ron, we have an Eggcamper too and just installed a Fantastic Fan in place of one of the stock vents, and we love it. But my husband wants to replace the other stock vent with another Fantastic Fan. I thought that might be overkill because the fans are so powerful and the camper is so small. But you have two ... What is the benefit of two? Wasn't one enough? BTW, you are my idol for mods. I followed your steps for curtains and hardware ( my addition was blackout lining for the curtains because my husband likes to sleep in a VERY dark space) and we are studying your closet shelves application and underbid storage.
Jill
Jill

I also have two MaxxFans in my EggCamper. The front one, just outside of the bathroom/shower, is the older 3 speed model and the rear one, over the bed, is a newer 10 speed unit. I don't have an air conditioner installed at this time and find that by turning the back on to draw in at the lowest speed and the front one to draw out at the lowest speed I get plenty of air flow to keep cool inside, even in Kansas in July. I also installed a WindowMaxx on the starboard side window so I can leave the window open slightly in inclement weather. When I open the window I can just use the rear MaxxFan on low and get a nice air flow. I consider the MaxxFan installations the number one must have modification although everything in my EggCamper is a modification since I bought it as a hull only and built it out the way I wanted it.

BTW - The 10 speed MaxxFan only draws 350mA (measured) on the lowest speed so there's no big draw on the battery. Since I boondock a lot that is very important to me.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 05:17 PM   #48

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
WindowMaxx? I'll have to look into that. BTW, my husband DID install the second Fantastic Fan yesterday.
Also, talk about overkill ... The PO built in an A/V storage cabinet to house the BluRay disc player, auto tune TV antenna, DirecTV receiver and surround sound system with 5 speakers (the subwoofer is under the bed) for the 32" HDTV he attached to the A/V cabinet door. Sheesh! We've never seen so much hardware that we didn't know how to use! But there was also a thermostatically controlled cooling system installed inside the A/V cabinet that wasn't working, so we ordered parts to get that going. We figured if we are going to try and use this stuff, we don't want it melting on us. Our first camping trip will be to the egg rally in Duluth, Minnesota in a few weeks. Should be interesting!
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #49

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
A WindowMax is at the top of my list of best additions I have added to the trailer. Only way I can keep a window open in the rain. It helps a lot with condensation issues.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #50

Name: Neil
Trailer: Boler
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willis

Gottahavit?
Yea. Like when you say 'I've got to have it!' real fast it comes out Oh gottahaveit!
nlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #51

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A WindowMax is at the top of my list of best additions I have added to the trailer. Only way I can keep a window open in the rain. It helps a lot with condensation issues.
What is a WindowMax?

My must haves were to add a microwave and make a permanent bed (still leaving space that isn't bed.) Since I haven't done most of the other things I want to do I guess they aren't "gottahaveits" but more "wannahaveits."
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:39 PM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
What is a WindowMax?
Used on slider windows: Window/Maxx | Latest it also obscures the view out the window for 4-6 inches.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 05:12 PM   #53

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
For those who view a permanent bed as a "must have", we are of two minds.

Our new trailer - the BF21 has it, but none of our previous trailers ones did.

We never found that making a bed out of a dinette or out of a gaucho-type "couch" (and vice-versa) was any more of an issue than making a bed up in the morning, and having that bed there, always "being a bed" takes up SO much space! It'd likely be different in a 50 footer with a zillion slides etc, where you'd actually have room to waste with a permanent bed....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #54

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
A full time bed is a MUST for us. We travel more than we camp so making up a bed after a long day on the road is about the last thing we want to do. And then, there's the question of what to do with the bedding when the bed is not made up. A full time is definitely a waste of space for us. We've never sat on an RV sofa or in an RV dinette that had any sitting comfort whatsoever. That's our story and we're sticking to it. In retrospect, I guess it's a good thing we don't all want the same thing.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #55

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Yup. We see the advantages of the bed, but we never saw the lack of one as being any real drawback either.

Of course, up until last year we never averaged more than 4 -6 nights per year in a trailer, either! This year seems to be on that pace as well, but last year was more like 25 nights or so.
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #56

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Part of it is the greater comfort of a fulltime bed, where you can have a real mattress.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #57

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
If you have creaky joints and plan on trips of a month or more, the full-time bed and front dinette rapidly reach the gottahavit stage as moving the table up-and-down each day is very hard on the lower back.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 AM   #58

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
When getting our Egg Camper we didn't even remotely consider the convertible couch but opted for the permanent bed. We travel a lot and putting together a bed after 10 or more hours driving has no appeal at all for us. Did not have to give up a dinette because this trailer has a side dinette. I am making a new table that will allow two Camping World drawers to be attached underneath.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #59

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just be careful with the window max, when I installed mine in the egg camper the windows started to leak around the screws, so I removed it and sealed the holes, leak gone. If you could use VHB tape it would be better.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #60

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Smile

I have changed many things about our trailers, but the three biggest ones are exterior cargo doors to the storage spaces under the bed and seats, a solar battery charge system mounted on the roof and LED lights. These things make a huge difference in convenience.

Rick G
Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote