What "must have" modifications has everyone done to their trailer? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-02-2012, 03:27 PM   #21

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance MacArthur View Post
Things we found useful after 3 cross country trips: ceramic electric heater, warm and toasty micro oven combo, air conditioner, flat screen wall mount tv, permanent bed, permanent dinette, screen door, outdoor canopy, fantastic fan, underbed storage, led lighting, stove with electric igniters, instant water heater, drain tank, leveling bubbles == I could go on, but these are the most important.
Still working on my Wish List and saw a link on a earlier post to photos/slide show(?) of your renovations. Unfortunately the link didn't work. I would love to see what you've done. Are the photos still online and if so, where?

Thanks!
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #22

Name: Evan
Trailer: 1983 13' Scamp
Oregon
Atwood Hydroflame furnace (less than 2 amp draw while running), LED lightbulbs in factory fixtures, removed the icebox and use a Dometic CF-40 portable fridge so I can take our food with us in the tow vehicle on day trips, bumper stab jacks, propane adapter so we can hook our camping stove to the big propane tank to cook outside.

I would like to add a silverware drawer but it looks like it could be a PITA as I'm not very good with carpentry and we still have plenty of space now.
evanwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #23

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
My must have list is pretty simple.
  • LED lights for the low power draw from battery. Maybe $50 cost +/-
  • A canopy or awning solution. - makes a world of difference in terms of shade comfort and rain hassle. $150 for ez-up type (kind of heavy and bulky) or much less for some of the creative solutions posted on this forum. Or more $ for a stock RV awning attached to trailer.
  • At least 1 well placed 12 volt outlet.
  • Additional 110 outlet(s) as needed. Some people want lots, some an outside outlet, I just consider having only one under the sink a little short of ideal. Older trailers without GFI outlets should have at least one protecting each circut.
  • One of those little battery powered fans that go in fridge to circulate the cold air.
  • A small cube electric heater.
Storage solutions! With space at a premium and clutter easily able to overwhelm a small trailer, this is on my must have list.

Smaller solutions such as bins, baskets and storage containers. Those inexpensive suction hooks stuck to fiberglass to hang small items (2 hooks + small basket = night stand)

Bigger projects such as putting drawers into under couch/seat storage areas, outside access door for those under seat areas, additional storage overhead, or roll out bins and trays. Closet treatments such as shelves (Ikea is a popular source) are all things to think about during remodel.

Comfortable folding chair completes my "must have" list.

On the worth considering during a re-model list.
  • Power vent fan, a decent one can move enough air to do a complete exchange of all the air in camper in a few minutes. Have heard good things about Fantastic fans (they have free spacers to compensate for thin fiberglass install, how cool is that) Max Air is the other big name. Most put this as a must have, pretty good investment in comfort starting at less than $150
  • Solar panel and controller - might as well wire for and plan for storage location of panel if not roof mounted.
  • Inverter for 12 volt DC to 110 AC wiring, mounting location during remodel. Might also consider air flow (they can get hot).
  • Converter for 110 AC to 12 volt DC when connected to campground power. wiring and mounting location during remodel, might also consider air flow.
  • Computer type 12 volt fan(s) to help vent area behind fridge and make fridge more efficient. During remodel is best time to run those wires. It is also a good time to consider overall air flow behind fridge, adding baffles or better venting across fridge cooling fins, and possibly add insulation on sides and top.
  • Outside light if one not already built in.
  • Television mounting and antenna mount and wiring. TV while camping is not my thing but many find this important, especially if they use camper full time or for long duration, during remodel is best time to consider.
  • Water system - people have mentioned electric heating element for gas hot water tank (you pay for propane but elec. is included in campsite price), If you don't have a city water hook up this might be the time to look at that. On older hand pump sink trailer it's when I would think about wiring in a 12 volt pump and switch.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Wink I'll show you my drawers

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwilliams View Post
I would like to add a silverware drawer but it looks like it could be a PITA...
The trick is to find something pre-made that could fit your situation.
The Fiber Stream has a narrow dead space between the Entry door and the refrigerator cabinet that a portion of the wheel well juts into. I built a counter-height chest of drawers to fit the space. My inspiration was finding the perfect ready made drawers:

The Container Store > Bamboo CD Bin

I then took 3/8" birch plywood and made a 3-sided trough held together with drywall screws. I added a partial 4th side to one end and stand it vertically in place. It is screwed to the wall using longer machine screws in the entry door frame from the outside, and from inside the lower 'fridge cabinet'.

Then I cut 3/4" angle aluminum into 8 strips that match the length of the CD bins and used Indoor/Outdoor Mounting Tape- at The Home Depot to attach them to the sides of the "Trough". Then I cut a Natural Oak Shelf- at The Home Depot to fit and attached it to the top with the tape I used for the drawer slides.

I added a knob to the blank panel hiding the wheel well and 1/2 of a double-hung sash latch to the front of the countertop. I stretch a long bungie between them and through the handle of the trash bucket and it all stays put while on the road.

The toilet paper is hung on the inside of the bathroom door. I had to take the picture from inside the bathroom.
Attached Thumbnails
000_1288.jpg   000_1289.jpg  

Old 08-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #25

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Important Mods

First priority is to maximize storage space. This in not neccessarily to carry more, but first to have an easily accessible place for everything with least used less accessible and most used most accessible. To us this means pull out drawers where there are none or where an existing accessible space should really be a drawer, a slide out pantry, discrete storage for everything from nail clippers to crock pots.

Second priority is to make travel more convenient adding things that support long term travel and different modes of travel like solar panels, electric hot water, LED lighting, ...

Third is to add functionality like a wifi hotspot, expanded outside storage, more ac and dc outlets....

Fourth, to make the trailer more comfortable, to provide an open feeling, to make it feel bigger than it is.....

Fifth is to keep every thing as light and balanced as possible to minimize the effect on towability like 1 propane tank, 1 battery but the best I can afford, no roof AC to disrupt airflow, no maxx air vents,....

Saying all this we have made about 50 mods to our Scamp and probably will make another dozen or so. This is our 10th calendar month in a row in our 1991 Scamp 16 and can see a number of items for improvement, some improved changes, others new additions.

Neither have carped about anything in our trailer nor complained about living in a small space in our 10 calendar months on the road though we have talked about little refinements that can make it better, some we've implemented as we travel like we just upgraded all the LED lighting and are about to upgrade our cell phones, rather important on these long trips..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:30 AM   #26

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
I am already a bit of minimalist (we went on a 20-day trans-Atlantic cruise with two stewardess-size carry-on bags and two small nylon backpacks--one of which held the cameras, purse, netbook and wires) and did about the same for six weeks in France. Oddly travelling with the trailer our STUFF seems to grow to fit the space. Lots of storage room in the Boler (at least for us) but modifications would make it easier to access. Thank you all for the hints and tips. My Wish List and collection of notes is growing by leaps and bounds.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
I like the "Trailer Trash" Frederick.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:27 AM   #28

Name: Robert
Trailer: Airstream 23D International Serenity
Texas
Well, I really don't suppose that this is a "must have," but having done the mod, we are absolutely amazed at the difference - and "feel" - it has made in the Casita after dark!

The LEDs give a great "glow" overhead which not only provides a bit of ceiling-high illumination, it also makes the under-cabinet lights seem so much less "harsh" when they are on.

Great mod... quick & simple and cheap!

All the best,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6391.1.2.jpg  
Rob and Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 11:01 AM   #29

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Rob, I like the look but dont understand how you did it. Did you slightly lower the trim ring of the fan and tuck in the LED lights?
Old 08-03-2012, 11:23 AM   #30

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyH View Post
Rob, I like the look but dont understand how you did it. Did you slightly lower the trim ring of the fan and tuck in the LED lights?
Hi, Danny...

You're pretty darned close! I made a "frame" from ash... 3/4" high and 2" wide. I cut out the backside on an angle to provide a place for the LEDs and also to mask (or "hide") them from direct line-of-sight. Then, I wrapped a strip of LEDs around thge inside, installed a switch and wired it up to the 12-volt wiring already in the Fantastic Fan.

I drilled out the four pop-ricets that were holding on the fan flange and having the flange off, I attached the wood frame to it with screws (from the top down... no screws showing). Then I reinstalled the flange with four new pop-rivets.

I hope this makes sense!

R

PS: You may notice that the frame photographed in the trailer has rounded corners... I didn't like that and made a new, "square corner" version that we love!
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG5023.1.JPG   CIMG5022.JPG  

CIMG5044.JPG   CIMG5045.JPG  

Old 08-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #31

Name: Sherman
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob and Linda View Post
Well, I really don't suppose that this is a "must have," but having done the mod, we are absolutely amazed at the difference - and "feel" - it has made in the Casita after dark!

The LEDs give a great "glow" overhead which not only provides a bit of ceiling-high illumination, it also makes the under-cabinet lights seem so much less "harsh" when they are on.
Awesome

I want that.
spotcatbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Not sure it's a must-hve, but our favourite mod is to convert the front dinette to a couch because we pretty much only eat outside. Second favourite is to dump the small vent in the bathroom. Instead we installed a spare piece some wooden cleats between the two layers of fibreglass, then screwed in a spare piece of lexan. In the lexan we installed a solar-powered marine vent that runs as long as there is even a hint of sun, but quietly. And because it's for marine application, it doesn't let water in. Works like a skylight with ventilation.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
What I have Added or is a "Got To Have" in my Scamp
Fantastic fan
Refer fan
12 VDC outlet
120 VAC outlets (Added 2)
Kitchen on separate 120 VAC circuit
Electric Heater
Changed converter to Smart Charger
Built under bed storage drawer
LED taillights
LED interior lamps
Screen Door
Microwave
Wire shelf above bed for storage
TV & DVD player on hinged mount
Antenna jack and wiring for cable TV
Spice rack
2" memory foam bed pad
Shelf front closet
LED front closet light
LED reading lamp above bed
Air Conditioner
Outside GFCI receptacle
New axle with 3" raise
New 14" tires
4.6 cu ft. refer
Kitchen utensil holder
Stove push button ignitor
Outside read remote thermometer
Clothes Pole
Awning
Lock box with spare trailer & truck keys (Bolted to rear bumper of trailer)
Platform with mat at entry (Wipe off shoes}
Stereo CD player with speakers
Oak storage boxes for CD's and DVD's
Wooden platform over shower drain ( stops scratching of fiberglass drain area)
Brass petcock drain water heater

Need or Want to Add
TV antenna
Solar
Maxii window vents
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:11 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by spotcatbug View Post
Awesome

I want that.
TOTALLY COOL. I want one too! Care to go into the business making and selling them?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:13 AM   #35

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
"Must have" for me meant storage for clothing and food. Our EggCamper came with cavernous closets, but no shelving. The space beneath the bed was accessed by raising a fiberglass panel. My first mods included shelves in the closets and under the sink, a sliverware and junk drawer, and under-bed, roll-out drawers for plastic bins where we pack our clothes for a trip.

"Nice to have" includes a TV/DVD player, outside access hatches, outside 120 vac outlet, propane heat and hot water, solar charging system, and two MaxxFans (the one furthest from the bed with remote).

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 07:22 AM   #36

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
TOTALLY COOL. I want one too! Care to go into the business making and selling them?
Donna...

When I started this little mod, I had little idea what a big difference such a "little glow" at ceiling height would make in the interior "look and feel" of our Casita (17SD). So, as I often do, I wondered if there might be others who would want one; but, to make these for others, there are a few considerations...

1. What wood to use? I have made them from ash and white oak, but, being at ceiling height, the wood "color" seems to make little difference. Nice white oak is expensive.
2. Installation isn't just "plug & play." The outer flange of the Fantastic Fan has to be removed my drilling out four pop rivets (and there is little room for the drill!), and, of course, the flange-with-wood-attached has to be pop riveted back to the fan. It helps to have three or four hands!
3. Wiring has to be connected to the fused side of the fan's wiring. For one with "wiring experience" this is no big deal, but...
4. The price point would be in the neighborhood of $75 plus whatever shipping charges... that alone might be a show stopper.

Anyway, as you can see, I actually gave it some thought!

All the best,

Rob
Old 08-04-2012, 07:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Rob, I follow all your mods on the CasitaForum.. YOU THE MAN! I'm sure it will be especially helpful that you posted the steps above.

PS: I don't even have a Fantastic Fan in my Scamp... this makes me want one even more! Now I know how you made these lights.... hummmmm.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:20 AM   #38

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
"Nice to have" includes a TV/DVD player, outside access hatches, outside 120 vac outlet, propane heat and hot water, solar charging system, and two MaxxFans (the one furthest from the bed with remote).

Ron
Ron, we have an Eggcamper too and just installed a Fantastic Fan in place of one of the stock vents, and we love it. But my husband wants to replace the other stock vent with another Fantastic Fan. I thought that might be overkill because the fans are so powerful and the camper is so small. But you have two ... What is the benefit of two? Wasn't one enough? BTW, you are my idol for mods. I followed your steps for curtains and hardware ( my addition was blackout lining for the curtains because my husband likes to sleep in a VERY dark space) and we are studying your closet shelves application and underbid storage.
Jill
MinnesotaJill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #39

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Rob..... What about making them battery operated. Using double AA battery's and different LED's so you only have to snap them in to place. Then there is no need to wirer them to the campers electrical system?
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #40

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Thanks Jill. I guess one fan would have been enough, and now that I've got both installed, that falls into the category of 20/20 hindsight. I wrestled with the decision between MaxxFan and Fantastic, but went with the MaxxFan because I can leave them open in the rain. They really work well and they're very quiet (not like the old fans). If it's really warm, I set the front fan to out and the rear fan to in. They work so well, I'm considering taking the AC unit out and using that area for more storage... perhaps a place to put our shoes at night.

I've used 3M 4200 Fast Cure whenever I want to fasten something to the interior of the fiberglass shell. It works great. The shelves in my closet are held by hardwood blocks glued directly to the inside of the shell using 4200. After 3 or 4 years, nothing has come loose. I also used it to adhere the wooden supports for my drawers.

Ron
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote