What "must have" modifications has everyone done to their trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Modifications, Alterations and Updates
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
What "must have" modifications has everyone done to their trailer?

Spoke to Colin Hyde if NY today to confirm a complete restoration of my 84 Fiberstream. I was wondering what modifications everyone did to their own trailers or wish they could do as i plan for restoring my trailer. Colin and i agreed to do this right, the trailer will be completely gutted. The layout will remain original. Comments anyone?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cyndi, I'm not sure there is a perfect trailer or layout... it's only about what's perfect for YOU. Although I truly am glad I changed the sink faucet I had to a much higher spout with paddle handles http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...nce-47394.html
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Electronic stove burner ignitors, no more matches.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:51 AM   #4

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
our screen door has made the world of difference for us---allowing us to keep the door open for not only ventilation, but for making it feel so much less confining inside.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:08 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I'm not sure any of these are "Must Have" but I've been doing some modifications on my Escape 17B. It came with LED Lighting, dual propane, dual 6V batteries & 95W solar, all of which I would have considered must have if they were not factory options. The LED lighting greatly extends battery life.

I also have a camera mounted on the back of the trailer - helpful as a rear view mirror while driving, and a cell phone antenna & amplifier.

I think/hope I'm done for awhile, at least till I see a new "Must Have!"
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #6

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
My term for "must have" is "gottahavit".
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 10:51 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
Colin and i agreed to do this right, the trailer will be completely gutted. The layout will remain original. Comments anyone?
I think you're wise to keep the layout the same. How bad is the interior partition wall structure? I would try to refrain from disturbing it as much as possible if it is sound. My bathroom & closet structure are good, so I wouldn't want to create a solution in search of a problem that may not exist. Keep the wall structure of the partition between the range and street-side bunk, and if you already have the pass-through opening with the flip-up counter extension, I'd preserve that. That and the floor-to-ceiling refrigerator/pantry cabinet support the weight of a roof mounted air-conditioner.

I don't have the time to "Do it right" for my own Fiber Stream so I've learned to live with some flaws. One MUST HAVE that I've already done is a roof vent in the bathroom; the same one that Casita has in their 17' Deluxe.
Old 04-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Must Have? Gauges!

I installed a gauge panel. I monitor battery voltage, battery amps, water pressure and outdoor temperature. See Dan and Dawn's Scamp Travel Trailer - click on modifications and repairs on the left and scroll down.

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
An electric vent fan is a good idea.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #10

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Things we found useful after 3 cross country trips: ceramic electric heater, warm and toasty micro oven combo, air conditioner, flat screen wall mount tv, permanent bed, permanent dinette, screen door, outdoor canopy, fantastic fan, underbed storage, led lighting, stove with electric igniters, instant water heater, drain tank, leveling bubbles == I could go on, but these are the most important.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
In a Fiberstream in particular I agree with Fred,Mostly.

I would try to design a way to have a bed and seating area available all the time if needed.
I can do that naturally as I am by myself most of the time so I can use one bed as a bed and the other as a couch with a small TV table.

Otherwise I would make it so the back area might be a bed setup and the area in the middle would be like a small dinette.
Aside from that I think the "Stream are one one the best as they are so roomy inside.

I find the bath layout awkward though,why did they stick the toilet where in the open when you don't really need the headroom to use it but then they stuck the shower in the corner where the headroom is needed but not available?
I am not sure I would try to switch them around but it is odd and annoying climbing over the toilet?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:29 AM   #12

Name: Ken
Trailer: 19' Scamp
Nebraska
I haven't gotten them done but on the short list is:

1. Rubber sheathing on the safety chains of my 5er. (On a night with a good breeze they play jingle bells all night long)

2. Solar, LED lights and (2) 6v batteries in series .

3. A converter and a small flat screen.
Earl E. November is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I find the bath layout awkward though,why did they stick the toilet where in the open when you don't really need the headroom to use it but then they stuck the shower in the corner where the headroom is needed but not available?
The lack of headroom in the shower of a Fiber Stream is due to the floor being raised to create a space for the shower drain trap.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0537.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	45817

This is because beneath the entire bathroom floor is where the 13 gallon Black Tank is located.
You can't drain the shower straight into the black tank.
Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0275.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	45818

A possible correction is to replace the Thetford Toilet and separate Black Tank with a SeaLand Toilet that has the Built-in 9 gallon above-the-floor Black Tank. Then you could put the shower and the toilet at true floor level with the shower drain below the floor the way Casita does it, regaining full headroom in the shower stall.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:58 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am not sure I would try to switch them around but it is odd and annoying climbing over the toilet?
Notice that the bathroom wall is not straight like Scamp and Casita. It zig-zags with the bathroom door in the diagonal zig and the closet door zagging back to the perpendicular. This allows the shower to be 30" x 30" and the closet to be 24" x 24" which allows for enough room for the entry door between the long wheel-well and the closet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiber Stream Sales Brochure
The interior designed for women by a woman provides ease of movement and accessibility to everything.
Apparently it is easier for a woman to move past the toilet to get into the shower.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #15

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Electric Heat Rod for the hot water tank.
Fantastic fan with remote.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #16

Name: dave
Trailer: 1974 Trillium 1300
Ontario
No matches needed or igniter needed for the stove. Use an 'dead'/empty bbq lighter. The spark is all you need!
indigodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Fantastic fan
Solar Panel
LED lights inside
LED Tail lights
Maxxi Window vent so side windows can stay open in the rain
Movable wire shelves in the closet.
External 110 outlet
Easy to remove overhead holder for a 19" flat screen.

Items I havent done but would love to have:
An outside hatch to get at storage under the back bench.
A level monitor for the fresh water & gray water tanks.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:51 AM   #18

Trailer: Trillium 1972
Registry
I see everyone is installing these "fantastic fans." Why do I want one?
Cyndivg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:38 AM   #19

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyndivg11 View Post
I see everyone is installing these "fantastic fans." Why do I want one?
Because they are fantastic.

Oh.... and high quality, low current draw, made in Michigan, outstanding customer service, versatile options like intake / exhaust modes, thermostat, automatic close feature.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:16 AM   #20

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas G. View Post
Because they are fantastic.
I second that

If you cook in your trailer you will need an exhaust fan - it does that. It will also help to reduce condensation issues by moving air.

It is also for many people a great alternative to AC. In the past I carried a small portable AC but since I installed the Fantastic Fan I have not needed to carry the extra weight of the AC even though I have camped a number of times with temps in the high 90's low 100's.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote