What to do with that hole in the roof? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2015, 04:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 16 ft / ft 04 Subaru Forester XS (extra slow)
What to do with that hole in the roof?

My '85 Scamp 16 came with the standard rectangular, screened crank-up vent hatch in the ceiling. The plastic lid is falling apart now, due to decades of sun exposure, and I'm pondering what to do about that.

1) replacing the lid panel only would seem simplest, if that could be done with a compatible part.

2) or I might cover over the whole thing with a sheet of FG wall panel, since I've installed a MaxxFan beside the old hatch, or

3) how about a little skylight, made of plexiglass or lexan glued into place?

I'll be interested in everyone's suggestions and mod experiences.
John McMillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Is it a 14" square hole? I'd put in a power vent, like the Maxxfan:
Airxcel | Maxxair | Maxxfan Deluxe (Manual Opening)
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 04:27 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post
My '85 Scamp 16 came with the standard rectangular, screened crank-up vent hatch in the ceiling. The plastic lid is falling apart now, due to decades of sun exposure, and I'm pondering what to do about that.

1) replacing the lid panel only would seem simplest, if that could be done with a compatible part.

2) or I might cover over the whole thing with a sheet of FG wall panel, since I've installed a MaxxFan beside the old hatch, or

Scamp does NOT have a standard 14"x14" vent. It doubles as an escape hatch.

I would recommend that take some measurement and then contact Scamp by phone. You can purchase the plastic lid separately or get and replace whole hatch. It's not that difficult.

You'll want the large hatch at some point. I'm really happy with mine and glad it's not the standard 14" square on most RVs.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:51 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
You'll want the large hatch at some point. I'm really happy with mine and glad it's not the standard 14" square on most RVs.
Y ?
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 06:30 PM   #5

Name: Kim
California
My 13' 1993 Scamp was missing everything but the aluminum frame. I emailed Scamp and unfortunatly, they don't make that size hatch anymore. I ended up having to buy a new bigger size hatch, so now we get to cut the hole in the Scamp bigger.

Hopefully if you decide to replace yours, it is the size they still carry.
KimScamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Scamp does not have anything for the old vent besides the hinge and plastic lid. It is not that hard to replace. Four screws and a few rivets, done. Now if you are missing stuff then you need to up-size to the bigger, newer unit and get to cutting. Buy the lid from Scamp NOW, while they still have it (if it is the size you need). Then, protect your Scamp out of the weather to prevent the new one from degrading. I figure my Scamp got 26 years out of the old hatch cover, probably mostly stored outside. With it covered now the new one should do me.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 09:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMillin View Post

We had and enjoyed both size vents in our 1991 Scamp 16. I really miss the larger escape hatch in our new 13. Our escape hatch opened fully for star gazing and really added to the air flow without turning on the fantastic fan.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
Scamp does not have anything for the old vent besides the hinge and plastic lid. It is not that hard to replace. Four screws and a few rivets, done. Now if you are missing stuff then you need to up-size to the bigger, newer unit and get to cutting. Buy the lid from Scamp NOW, while they still have it (if it is the size you need). Then, protect your Scamp out of the weather to prevent the new one from degrading. I figure my Scamp got 26 years out of the old hatch cover, probably mostly stored outside. With it covered now the new one should do me.
I still say call Scamp. You might be surprised at what have and don't have. Don't rely on their web page call, and if you don't get a good answer from the parts department ask to speak with Kent Eveland, the owner.
Old 06-09-2015, 10:48 PM   #9

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Someone had a thread where they replaced their escape hatch with a home made plexy hatch. I remember it at the time because the old one looked exactly like mine. Now mine is cracked, and I wish I could find the thread.

My inclination would be to make it better than the original. Stronger, tougher, more weather resistant, and it would be nice if wouldn't leak if it rained--perhaps an electric hatch lift.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 94 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Could this guy make the hatch cover that you need? RV Widget Works | ,
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:00 PM   #11

Name: Guy
Georgia
Im in the process of fixing the hole in my roof by making the hole bigger (which I did) making a mold to make the area where I stand bigger. I'm 6'2" and I will be able to stand in my Scamp when I'm done. As much as I love the Scamp, I hate having to bend over until I sit or sleep. I'm fiberglassing the mold, than attaching it to the camper, fiberglassing it in than adding Bondo to cover the fiberglass, than gelcoat.
neauone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 03:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Night Sailor View Post

My inclination would be to make it better than the original. Stronger, tougher, more weather resistant, .
Hummm not sure how they would do that. The original on mine has been in place for 23 years and its still in good condition, physically as well as visually and never leaked. I simple decided to take it out and reseal it last year as I figure one can only push the time limit on no maintenance on a roof mounted item so far. ;-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote