And the table:
The original table was structurally sound but cosmetically uh... unsound. The surface veneer was slighty blistered and I'm not a fan of pressed board to begin with.
I drilled out the pop rivets holding the aluminum trim to the edge of the table. Then clamped the original table top to some cabinet grade birch plywood of appropriate thickness. Using a router with a bit designed to trace templates I cut the new table top using the old one as a template.
About 5 coats of polyurethane were applied to the new table top with a very light
sanding between coats. Using small screws I attached the old aluminum trim to the new table (I had also cleaned the trim with some #0000 steel wool)
I'm happy with the result
I used the remaining plywood and polyurethane to make new hatch covers.