What would it take to swap a frame? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you search "off frame" I think you will find some helpful info. Also Scamp used to have a video downloadable from their site that showed some of the construction details. Worth a look. Raz

Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Commercial Member
Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
My '83 Scamp has some road cancer in it's frame from a prior life traveling Pennsylvania's roadsalt encrusted roads. Since an axle swap would be a good idea anyway, why don't I go the distance and give it a whole new frame? While I could still simply beef up the existing frame with some fresh steel, wouldn't it be smarter to just remove the old frame with new? Anyone gone that route? What are some of the hurdles to leap over to roll out the old and roll in the new?
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
I think my biggest stumbling block would be hoisting the body off the frame. I suppose I'd need some special gear. How do you do it?
Sounds like your future plan is similar to what I am just completing, frame off custom modification. I have not updated my thread for a while but the project is almost complete. There is some great information on this forum for frame construction. I worked with a custom fabricator on my frame design and build. As mentioned by Robert Johans lifting the body off by yourself is not difficult with a good floor jack and jack stands, just take your time and keep safe. Here is the thread on my frame for and build if it helps It Started as a Kitchen Reno- Project Boler

Ian & Joan
1974 Boler "Buttercup" / 2014 Escape 19'
Camping Treasures - Key Chains & More
The Complete Guide to 13′ Boler Fiberglass Trailers
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #17
Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Check out the photos and write-up for "U-Haul CT13 ''The Project'' .
Jackstand made from tires, 4x4 and 2x4 lumber to raise the shell to get the frame out for repairs.
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
Name: Bobbie
Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970/Escape 15A
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Bob H...
Lifting the body from the frame by yourself is not that hard if you have a decent floor jack and some jack stands (or some other stabilizers.) Obviously, you need to first locate the hold down fasteners and pull them out. Contact Scamp to learn where and how many...
Since I can't ask TrailsWest, what did you find with the Campster? I'd like to see your redo of the Campster frame as I'm thinking about doing it. (I found a friend's husband had pulled his Airstream off the frame so I figure if he can do that, he can help me do a tiny little fiberglass trailer!)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
first call scamp. they are great people and will give you all the help they can. then i think your bolts to attach get undone, and it basicly lifts off, not counting all the tubes and plumbing and wiring yopu hae to watch for.

now,,how are you going to lift it?well,,,,you not. your going to lower the frame out from under it.
get some car ramps and pull the trailer up on them, this will give you room to work under it. then when all fasteners are removed, you use a jack to raise the body slightly and place blocks under it to support it above the frame. this will require building up piers outside of the frame running truses acrossed and placing load blocks on the truses. the truses can probably be 2x8 on edge with a block of 2x4 on top or even 2x6 to spread the load.
you then remove the tires from the axel lower it down and slide it out.

john warren is offline   Reply With Quote