What would it take to swap a frame? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
What would it take to swap a frame?

My '83 Scamp has some road cancer in it's frame from a prior life traveling Pennsylvania's roadsalt encrusted roads. Since an axle swap would be a good idea anyway, why don't I go the distance and give it a whole new frame? While I could still simply beef up the existing frame with some fresh steel, wouldn't it be smarter to just remove the old frame with new? Anyone gone that route? What are some of the hurdles to leap over to roll out the old and roll in the new?
Old 07-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Because the condition of my restoration projects is so poor to start, I frequently have all new frames built. My welder matches the dimensions and layout, and adds any customizations that I wish to include, such as axle mounting brackets, expanded metal mesh to the front, and spare tire carrier on the rear bumper, etc. These use better, stronger materials and welding techniques than original. About $1500.00. Powder coating, $300.00. And new axle with brakes, about $350.00. Perhaps pricey for some, but pretty bullet-proof... Good for another 50 years.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #3

Name: kenny
Trailer: 93 "Lil" Bigfoot 13.5'
Utah
can you buy a new one from scamp, and have it sent freight?
Kenny Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #4

I think my biggest stumbling block would be hoisting the body off the frame. I suppose I'd need some special gear. How do you do it?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Try calling Scamp and asking them what they would want to do a switch. They do it every day. Anyway that would be my first option to check on. If you do let us know the answer. Casita for one would be about the same I would think.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #6

I'm sorry Gene, taking the Scamp to Minnesota from South Carolina to change the frame is not a viable option. The cost will be sizable enough, but adding the cost of traveling the distance is too far over the top.
I think ordering one from Scamp would cost more than having one fabricated locally. There are several welding shops that do that very thing right here, and like Robert mentioned, would be able to offer customizing on site. I guess what I'm scratching my head about is just what it takes to pop the body off from the frame, and is it something that can be done as a backyard project?
Old 07-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Or you could do it redneck style - flip the trailer over onto its back, remove the fame, put new frame on!

Just don't forget to flip it back before hitching on and taking it out for a test drive!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Or you could do it redneck style - flip the trailer over onto its back, remove the fame, put new frame on!

Just don't forget to flip it back before hitching on and taking it out for a test drive!
Hmmm...I do have a sloping backyard...problem is it could roll all the way down into the pond...OK, it'll become a houseboat fer sure!
Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I didn't know where you were, it isn't listed on you profile hence I just made a possible suggestion. Still it would be interesting to know with so many doing restoration on older units.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse
I didn't know where you were, it isn't listed on you profile hence I just made a possible suggestion. Still it would be interesting to know with so many doing restoration on older units.
No problem Gene, it's a worthwhile suggestion all the same, I wish I lived close enough to get it "factory" made. That'd be great!
Old 07-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #11

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
I am curious about this, my frame is in good shape, won't be swapping it out anytime soon. I dream of a full frame up custom restoration maybe in 10 years (I'll have to start a Robert Johans restoration savings plan!!) But as I dig below my carpets and look at the floors and lower construction in detail for the first time I just wonder how it all goes together. Can you remove the frame and have the floor stay with the body? The floor on my 2001 looks well glassed in on the edges, but I haven't seen any big obvious bolts, is it just held on with a whole lot of screws?

Just out of curiosity? How do these things get held together?
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
Bob H...
Lifting the body from the frame by yourself is not that hard if you have a decent floor jack and some jack stands (or some other stabilizers.) Obviously, you need to first locate the hold down fasteners and pull them out. Contact Scamp to learn where and how many...

Then locate your jack under a corner and start slowly easing things up a couple inches. Throw a jack stand under that corner and move to another. Repeat this process, as needed, adding bricks, blocks of wood, paint cans, whatever can manage the weight, until the shell is high enough to get some sawhorses in place and the frame can be moved out.

This is just what I do for my re-dos, and I'm a, ahem, professional.
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 05:12 PM   #13

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanear View Post
I am curious about this, my frame is in good shape, won't be swapping it out anytime soon. I dream of a full frame up custom restoration maybe in 10 years (I'll have to start a Robert Johans restoration savings plan!!) But as I dig below my carpets and look at the floors and lower construction in detail for the first time I just wonder how it all goes together. Can you remove the frame and have the floor stay with the body? The floor on my 2001 looks well glassed in on the edges, but I haven't seen any big obvious bolts, is it just held on with a whole lot of screws?

Just out of curiosity? How do these things get held together?

They get HELD together? Is this something new?
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #14

Name: Dylan
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13'
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
They get HELD together? Is this something new?
And boy are my arm tired!
dylanear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #15
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
If you search "off frame" I think you will find some helpful info. Also Scamp used to have a video downloadable from their site that showed some of the construction details. Worth a look. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 05:52 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
My '83 Scamp has some road cancer in it's frame from a prior life traveling Pennsylvania's roadsalt encrusted roads. Since an axle swap would be a good idea anyway, why don't I go the distance and give it a whole new frame? While I could still simply beef up the existing frame with some fresh steel, wouldn't it be smarter to just remove the old frame with new? Anyone gone that route? What are some of the hurdles to leap over to roll out the old and roll in the new?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob H View Post
I think my biggest stumbling block would be hoisting the body off the frame. I suppose I'd need some special gear. How do you do it?
Sounds like your future plan is similar to what I am just completing, frame off custom modification. I have not updated my thread for a while but the project is almost complete. There is some great information on this forum for frame construction. I worked with a custom fabricator on my frame design and build. As mentioned by Robert Johans lifting the body off by yourself is not difficult with a good floor jack and jack stands, just take your time and keep safe. Here is the thread on my frame for and build if it helps http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ler-51170.html
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:32 AM   #17

Name: Jim
Trailer: Aliner; future egger
Minnesota
Check out the photos and write-up for "U-Haul CT13 ''The Project'' .
Jackstand made from tires, 4x4 and 2x4 lumber to raise the shell to get the frame out for repairs.
MN Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #18

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johans View Post
Bob H...
Lifting the body from the frame by yourself is not that hard if you have a decent floor jack and some jack stands (or some other stabilizers.) Obviously, you need to first locate the hold down fasteners and pull them out. Contact Scamp to learn where and how many...
Since I can't ask TrailsWest, what did you find with the Campster? I'd like to see your redo of the Campster frame as I'm thinking about doing it. (I found a friend's husband had pulled his Airstream off the frame so I figure if he can do that, he can help me do a tiny little fiberglass trailer!)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #19

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
first call scamp. they are great people and will give you all the help they can. then i think your bolts to attach get undone, and it basicly lifts off, not counting all the tubes and plumbing and wiring yopu hae to watch for.

now,,how are you going to lift it?well,,,,you not. your going to lower the frame out from under it.
get some car ramps and pull the trailer up on them, this will give you room to work under it. then when all fasteners are removed, you use a jack to raise the body slightly and place blocks under it to support it above the frame. this will require building up piers outside of the frame running truses acrossed and placing load blocks on the truses. the truses can probably be 2x8 on edge with a block of 2x4 on top or even 2x6 to spread the load.
you then remove the tires from the axel lower it down and slide it out.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote