what's the lightest way to make my bed where the dinette is stronger? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 05:03 PM   #21

Name: KAYAK
Trailer: 2007 casita freedom deluxe-2013 tacoma
New Hampshire
ahhhhh. this describes it. i'm not good with words. when it has to do with construction.

"If the bed is made as the factory intended then the table rests on the 2 side seats to bridge the gap and make the back one complete platform and thus the bed.

I have been in a lot of these and not experienced creaking or twisting but I would think the plywood laid across all 3 parts side to side would strengthen the whole thing up too."

i'm glad to see 1/2 inch works. i was thinking i'd have to go bigger. that will be easier. i'm not sure what "stiffener" means tho.
lpk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
DONNA, DONNA, DONNA. Not silicone
BUTTONS, not caulk Glenn! The only other choices are cork or felt. My bed creaked in one corner evertime I turned over. The buttons cured that and cheap too.... just like me
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #23

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
i'm with donna. we have used the felt pieces that are adhesive meant to go on the bottom of chair legs or other furniture. work great.

and it's not cheap. we're thrifty.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #24

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I left the table top but took the leg off. Then I used 3/8 inch plywood across the whole length (width of trailer) and put the mattress over that. No creaks. The table top offer strength but the plywood keeps the full weight from ever being just on the table. (I was concerned about that, too.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:17 PM   #25

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpk49 View Post
ahhhhh. this describes it. i'm not good with words. when it has to do with construction.

"If the bed is made as the factory intended then the table rests on the 2 side seats to bridge the gap and make the back one complete platform and thus the bed.

I have been in a lot of these and not experienced creaking or twisting but I would think the plywood laid across all 3 parts side to side would strengthen the whole thing up too."

i'm glad to see 1/2 inch works. i was thinking i'd have to go bigger. that will be easier. i'm not sure what "stiffener" means tho.
Stiffner is a piece of wood trim, around the edges underneath which will keep it stiff. A piece of 1x2 moulding as in the picture will strengthen the edges where one normally will put a knee or sit and place more concentrated weight in an area.
Or maybe a shot of whiskey or the prescription kind!!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:41 PM   #26

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
If the table is not bowing in the middle but is staying flat and straight, it probably is fine. But I can understand the desire to have peace of mind that the thing is not going to collapse suddenly. Plywood is hard to beat for its good strength and low price. Do not use OSB board or particle board, though, they do not have the same strength.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #27

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 1987 Bigfoot 13'
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
If it creaks and moans, is it possible it's something as simple as rubbing against the fiberglass cabinetry? A cheap fix would be to line the bottom edge of the board with Dollar Store no-creep shelving liner. ...
I just tried the shelf liner on mine and no more creaks nary a one over two nights camping. Thanks Donna
MsRubyLu-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 PM   #28

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I ran some foam tape down mine, although for a different reason. It doesn't creak, though.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:45 AM   #29

Name: Arlon
Trailer: 2002 Casita Bunk Delux
Texas
I just cut a pair of pvc pipes to fit in the table stand holes and was done with it. I was concerned about breaking the table but with the pvc pipes bracing the the middle of the table it just doesn't flex at all anymore. Two pieces of pvc weigh almost nothing and we can still store stuff around them under the bed. Doesn't make the top any lighter but it sure makes it stronger.
2006 Xterra MT (for sale)
arlon is offline   Reply With Quote