wheel bearings maintenance - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-13-2016, 10:22 AM   #29

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
In my former line of work, before retiring, almost all of the wheel bearings ran in oil. Never had a bearing failure, but what a mess when a seal failed.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #30

Name: Randi
Trailer: Burro
New Jersey
Registry
I full-time, and my trailer is used almost daily. After 3 years of ownership, I have not checked the bearings. They were repacked just before I purchased it. Do I really need to do this?

Old 10-13-2016, 03:48 PM   #31

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi in NJ View Post
I full-time, and my trailer is used almost daily. After 3 years of ownership, I have not checked the bearings. They were repacked just before I purchased it. Do I really need to do this?
No you REALLY do not need to do them!

But if you would like to try and avoid having to do them on the side of the highway one day you probable should do them so you are in control of the location and the time that you do have to do them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:57 PM   #32

Name: Darral
Trailer: Scamp Standard 13' 2010
Tennessee
I never recommend to anyone what they should or should not do for THEIR RV/Tow. But here's MY scenario and I consider this "Light duty" for my trailer:

April 2010 13' Scamp bought new from the factory. Weighs 1800 ready for trips. Now it is 6-1/2 yrs old with 9,999 (Literally!) miles on it. I've never pulled the hubs nor lubricated the bearings. I've only adjusted the brakes once. Why?

I pull mostly 100 miles (one-way) trips. I check my hubs repeatedly and the last outing 3 weeks ago? Hubs running an avg of 95 deg on 80 deg days. (both sides). I keep my Scamp on jackstands and spin the hubs regularly. They're not loose (I check this as well by grasping each side of the wheel) and they're certainly not "noisy" when I spin them. I do NOT ever pull over 65 mph and try to stay closer to 60 if at all possible.

If I was getting ready for a cross-country trip? Yes I would check them but I dont have ANY doubt that these bearings would look brand new. I pulled the rubber caps off the end last year thinking I may grease with the EZ lubes. Brand new-looking grease was still there at the ends. There was PLENTY of grease installed at Dexters. I replaced the covers and did not grease.

Did I worry about these wheels/hubs on this last outing??....not ONE second. Again, I do NOT recommend this for anyone else, but I'm ok with it. Let the fire fly!

PS: My occupation? Current IT; raised in a mechanic's home, became a 'machinist' out of high school (yes and have turned MANY "bearing fits") and worked as a draftsman also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randi in NJ View Post
Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #33

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Did I worry about these wheels/hubs on this last outing??....not ONE second. Again, I do NOT recommend this for anyone else, but I'm ok with it. Let the fire fly!

No Fire fly but a point to consider as to why its worked out ok with it. Mileage.

Your mileage over 6.5 years is pretty low by many peoples standards. I know I have had many years where I have but well over 6000 miles on the trailer. For me a low mileage year or as I like to call it not so great camping year, would be in the 3-4000 mile range.

The OP indicated they are using their trailer daily so its a good bet they may be putting on more miles in a year than you do in 6.5 years.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:18 PM   #34

Tennessee
Yup... we agree.... AGAIN Carol. That's why I dubbed my usage "Light duty" AND in mostly "mild" weather.

BUT (and a BIG 'but' here ), Dexter says do the tear-down/relube EVERY year or 12K miles which ever comes first and I DO NOT and WILL not ever agree with that! 12000 miles a year? Yes, I can see readily see where you would not go 6 yrs w/o a tear-down if you're traveling that many miles a year!

So, when will I do mine? Dunno...maybe next year just for kicks. Definitely not a project I want nor look forward to doing. But again, if I was getting ready to head across the US, I'd do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
No Fire fly but a point to consider as to why its worked out ok with it. Mileage.

Your mileage over 6.5 years is pretty low by many peoples standards. I know I have had many years where I have but well over 6000 miles on the trailer. For me a low mileage year or as I like to call it not so great camping year, would be in the 3-4000 mile range.

The OP indicated they are using their trailer daily so its a good bet they may be putting on more miles in a year than you do in 6.5 years.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:58 PM   #35
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Well Darral, no fire here either but did you look at my pictures? Post 17. Tell me what you think. Raz
Old 10-13-2016, 05:08 PM   #36

Tennessee
I did my friend. BUT, as posted by "Redbarron" post #28, you cant really judge the grease? Does it smelled "burned"? Dexter shocked me when one of their engineers told me what the temperature can get up to in those hubs and not harm grease OR bearings!

What I would like to have seen Raz, is a high-res shot of those bearings up close under good light after they were cleaned.

Here's something that happened to me that was a shocker...but it did and still does leave me in wonder! My Dad was getting alzheimer's. He was RELIGIOUS about changing oil every 3K miles!! (I know...doesnt require that). But I happened to come behind him and check and saw where it had been 10,000 miles since he'd gotten an oil change !! (This is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt) I freaked! He/We took it and had it changed and I figured that spelled the end of it. Well, he's gone now and I still have the car and at 50K miles later (from the time I caught that many miles on it) with now a total 155,000, it still runs like new, doesnt smoke and uses NO oil. If you'd told me that car could have had that many miles on the oil without damage, I wouldnt have believed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
Well Darral, no fire here either but did you look at my pictures? Post 17. Tell me what you think. Raz
Old 10-13-2016, 05:22 PM   #37
Raz

Vermont
I'm very conservative when it comes to maintenance. I have a Honda that has a maintenance minder program that's going to tell me when I should change my oil etc. Being an engineer I tend to trust the engineers that designed the car but at 5k miles I'll have a tough time waiting for a magic light to come on.. And change the filter every other time. I don't think so.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:30 PM   #38

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post

Dexter says do the tear-down/relube EVERY year or 12K miles which ever comes first and I DO NOT and WILL not ever agree with that! 12000 miles a year?
As I have said before this topic pretty well comes down to peoples past experience with bearings.

I tend to go along with Dexter because I have had a bearing fail on the trailer that was under two years old (would not have noticed it was going bad had it not been taken off for the yearly repacking). I worked for a major bearing distribution company as well as an operation superintendent for years in a industry that depended greatly on machines using bearings so I know all to well that bearings can and will fail at the worst possible time if not regularly inspected and maintained.

Its up to each of us to decide what level of risk your ok with. In your case your fine with your decision. Me I am fine with my decision to take them off and inspect and repack every year as well. Even though it now takes me twice as long and cost twice as much to do due to now having 4 wheels to worry about.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #39
Raz

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Even though it now takes me twice as long and cost twice as much to do due to know having 4 wheels to worry about.
That's what you get for going to the dark side.
Old 10-13-2016, 05:56 PM   #40

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp
Alabama
As to oil change intervals I pretty much go with the manufacturer.
My VW has an oil change interval of 10,000 miles.
Sometimes I go over a couple of thousand miles.
Of course I drive pretty hard and I don't expect the car to last over 500,000 miles.
Currently at 255,000 miles and going strong.
I also do the occasional oil sample and test, but no problem areas so far.
Probably there is more degradation from time and water absorption than rotation.
by the way that VW has those 255,000 miles on the wheel bearings and they have never been greased either. (2009 JSW TDI).
I don't recommend anyone ignoring the maintenance of the trailer, but if I just greased the bearings and started out I would do exactly the same check 25 - 50 miles down the road with the hand and tire temp and hub temp.
I also have a tandem axle car trailer that I last greased the bearings on in 2001. I still check the temp same as the Scamp.
Personally I like the EZLUBE hubs and spindles and I intend to use this feature even though I don't plan to back it into the water over the hubs.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #41

British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
That's what you get for going to the dark side.
I thought I went to the VERY Shiny side!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:58 PM   #42

Name: Den
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17
Missouri
I am usually a very light user. About 200 miles monthly, not in winter. New axle, upped tires to 14" in late 2014. Just finished first long trip, 1400 to Black Hills. Maybe it's time for a repack?

The cap on the hub on drivers side has disappeared, grease all dirty. Picked up a cap from local trailer service that supplied the Dexter axle. "That'll fit." It didn't. Looks like it should, it is just a hair big, literally. but even a whack with rubber mallet didn't do it. Is there a trick I'm missing?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Fiberglass RV mobile app