Wheel Jack in Front - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 87 13 ft Scamp
First of all I'm not sure if that is what you call it "wheel jack". Currently I have the standard jack in the front mounted on one side of the frame. It rotates 90 degrees when just sitting in the driveway and after hooked to the TV, the one w/ the flat plate at the bottom. Probably the one that was installed when the SCAMP was built. I'm thinking about purchasing a second one for the other side that has the wheel at the bottom. It would make it easier to move the SCAMP around in the driveway and when hooking up to leave the campground.

When the SCAMP was totally empty moving it around wasn't a problem. However after putting stuff in the storage compartments and adding a 2nd propane tank, moving it is now impossilbe w/ brute force on my own.

Any suggestions? Sound like a good idea or not? I'm looking for input.
Steve B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:52 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Two suggestions...

1. For moving around in your driveway a trailer dolly.

2. For gettting hitched in a campground, a backup buddy.

Northern Tool is one place that carries trailer dollies. It's on sale right now.

Backup Buddy. For sale right here on this very site. Trailer hitch mirrors
Old 06-28-2006, 10:40 PM   #3

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I had all your same problems and concerns when I got mine. I am now going to remove the flip down wheeled jack for two reasons.

1. I have since become more skilled at backing and with just a little patience, I can usually put it right where I want and if it isn't on the dime, it's close enough.

2. removing the weight from the tongue. I have been toting the thing around and never use it anymore.

The most it has gotten me is ONCE when the trailer was pushed into an awkward spot by two guys that happened to be there. If they were not conviniently there.. I would have backed it in.

The handle has also made a few nice dents in my bumper cover.. it sticks out so far that I lose 6 inches of turn when backing to the right.

I have a mirror for hitching.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 11:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
I put a jack with a wheel on my 13' last year and so far it`s more a nuisance then a blessing.....at home I use a dolly and on the road I have to usually get out of my truck twice to put the ball within 2" of the hitch centre and that`s close enough to drop the hitch onto the ball......on a sloped paved driveway the wheel jack allows the trailer to roll away by itself, not good....if you are by yourself try holding the trailer from rolling and blocking the wheels...my arms are about 8 feet too short....and in most campgrounds the wheel is hard to roll on the sod so it can be useless.......on my 17' I use an electric jack without a wheel and have no problem just a minute or two longer to line up the ball and the hitch because of getting out to check the distance and alignment.......Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 10:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Trillium 4500
I have a 4 wheel drive jack on the tongue of my trailer.
Lise Villemaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 1980 Trillium 4500 Deluxe / 2008 Toyota Tacoma 4x2 Access cab 2.7l
Lise that's terrible, when I get home tonight!
Paddy Morris is offline   Reply With Quote