Wheel Well Table - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2006, 05:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Being 1 that hates to cut my egg or poke holes in it , i came up with a table to fit in the wheel well with the left over flooring i put in . It fits between the tire & wheel well & held up by 1 support stick. Takes seconds to set up or take down, & if camper is level so is the table, only 2 pieces to store...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0010.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	5777

Coming soon! LCD TV mount with no mods to support TV in corner; a work in progress...
Later, kenn

Name:	Dscn0002.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	27.6 KB
ID:	5780
Attached Thumbnails
Dscn0011.jpg   Dscn0012.jpg  

kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
Kenn,
Your table very nice. What type flooring did you use? It looks as if you applied the flooring to plywood. Is the brace attached to a bracket or does it fit into a cutout through the plywood? Also, where do you store it while travelling?
Thanks,
Kurt & Ann K.
Kurt & Ann K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 12:18 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
That's really clever!

I rented a tent trailer once that had an outside table, but it slid into an aluminum channel on the side of the trailer. It was really difficult to slide, so I hated to put it up or down, and the end was supported by a leg, which never agreed with the height of the trailer. It was nice to have a table there as secure as the trailer.

Kenn, it looks like if the suspension moved, then the brace to the wheel would push the table out of position, or even damage it; I assume that you only use the table when the trailer is on stabilizing jacks, so it doesn't move as you get in and out of the trailer. Do you need to adjust the brace at all to suit the wheel position, which might be a little high or low compared to normal after leveling?

I can see how weight on the table would lever the end inside the wheel well up, where it fits closely so the table won't fall. What keeps the table from pulling out? It doesn't look like the Scamp has a lip in the wheel well to catch the table...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
I have not had a problem with it popping out when going in & out. I can use it in any position parked or on leveling jacks. I'm 280lbs. & when I go in or out it dosen't move enough to make a difference... I've taken some pics of the back to show the stick support, just a piece of wood to come against & I put little round rubber strips to catch the tire treads to prevent it from popping out. I also put a little rubber bumper on the bottom of support stick that goes against the wheel. It is 1/2" ply with some left over flooring I put down in the casita, the snap fit stuff glued to the ply....

Name:	Dscn0002.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	5794
Attached Thumbnails
Dscn0003.jpg  
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
Very cool Idea
The wife and I are always looking for more room to lay stuff and this will work perfect under the small awning on the Lady-Bug (my 13ft Boler, not the wife)
Right now the Lady-Bug is under wrapes for the winter so no inside (new LED lights) work will start until April but I can build this table in my shop and have it ready to go for the 2007 season.
Also nice Idea of the LCD TV bracket but my wife wont even let me have one for the house yet let alone for the Lady-Bug
Gerry
You ever in Western Maine let me know so I can come over and watch TV
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 01:51 AM   #6

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
I love your table. But I think one on my little 13 footer might be too low to use.

What I did was have a 1 inch interior square piece of iron welded to the frame just behind the wheel well. It's back so that it is virtually out of sight. Any way, it's basically a receiver.

It receives a 1 inch exteropr square iron that comes out and upward with a plate on top. The plate is married to the bracket on the underside of a table top that I made. I drilled a hole through both the receiver and table arm so it could be tightened which lessens the wobble. The table top ends up about 2 inches higher than the top of the wheel well, just high enough for the arms of my folding chair to slide under. The table top and arm are stored inside my Scamp under the bed.

I can't find the pictures of the table and directions on how it was made but they are in my Photos folder. Just go on the Yahoo Scampers site and look in "Joy's 2001 13 footer" folder.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #7

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
That is SO smart!
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy A View Post
I love your table. But I think one on my little 13 footer might be too low to use.
I see what you are saying, but I think with a little planning one might be able to take kenn's initial idea and blend it with the design of one of those tire steps - just making the table above the wheel.

Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:04 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
I see what you are saying, but I think with a little planning one might be able to take kenn's initial idea and blend it with the design of one of those tire steps - just making the table above the wheel.
The issue is the wheel well. Kenn has a Casita with an open wheel well. Joy owns a Scamp which has a kinda-sort fender skirt.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita.JPG  
Attached Images

Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
What if the tree that provides shade is 15 feet away? Do you move the trailer?
Many of us have folding aluminum tables/stools that are lightweight and can go anywhere. Jim Bennett freaked me out by sitting on one of mine. I wasn't aware it could support an almost adult.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
What if the tree that provides shade is 15 feet away? Do you move the trailer?
Many of us have folding aluminum tables/stools that are lightweight and can go anywhere. Jim Bennett freaked me out by sitting on one of mine. I wasn't aware it could support an almost adult.
Tables have improved a lot in the ten years since Kenn posted this Glenn. Besides, it's kinda neat!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Measurements

What are the measurements of the table?
mturnage69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I for one, am not afraid to make holes in my trailer. I had a left-over chunk of Keder rail from my slide in awning bracket (yep, more holes!) so I riveted it to the side of my trailer over the wheel well. The table is actually a "Wear-Ever' aluminum full-sheet baking pan (that wouldn't fit in my "half sheet" sized oven, so I put it to use.) Its handy for me, as I can set my Cuisinart convection oven outside on it, under the slide-in awning, because it's near the outside convenience outlet. Hate cooking in the trailer, and that thing gets pretty warm, especially during the summer.

Sorry for the blurry picture (#3) but I wanted to show the notch I filed in the rim of the sheet pan lip to allow it to slide onto the Keder rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Casita 011.JPG   Casita 007.JPG  

Casita 010.JPG   Vacation2018 025 (Medium).JPG  

Vacation2018 053 (Medium).JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote