Wheeled tongue jack for 2002 13' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #1

Name: Jeffrey
Trailer: Interested
Washington
Wheeled tongue jack for 2002 13' Scamp

Makes it much easier to move the Scamp around the garage. The Reese tongue jack 1000# version fits perfectly opposite the 15-year-old Scamp welded-on, non-wheeled version. I flipped the Reese bracket (taller section on top), used shorter stainless screws in the front holes of the mount for a neater fit next to the propane tank. The combination works great to maneuver the Scamp in the garage or on hard surfaced parking spots. I coordinate the two jacks when I move the trailer - lower the wheel just enough to lift the pad version off the surface, move the trailer, then with a couple of cranks, lower the pad version for permanent positioning. The throw length of the Reese version is like it was built to snug up against the tongue rail in the locked up position (On the road, the crank handle is held up with a bungy cord). Product is the Reese Towpower 74410 Trailer Swivel Mount Jack (kind of a mouthful) $30.88 on Amazon. Full disclosure, I saw this wheeled jack suggestion on a forum earlier this year, but never thought it would be practical for our Scamp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheeled tongue jack.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	105819
jefflarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:20 AM   #2

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi Jeffrey,

My Trillium has a wheeled jack that I have found to be very handy.
On a hard level surface I can turn the trailer around by pulling on the
safety chains. It can be moved somewhat on a dirt surface by putting
down strips of plywood for the wheel to run on. Very handy, indeed.

Larry H
Attached Thumbnails
Trillium Jack.jpg  
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Since the telescoping bottom tube is pretty much a standard diameter, you could have cut off the foot and installed a socketed caster wheel.

On my Ultimate Jack, I have both a foot and a wheel which I can interchange, as needed.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I always find it interesting that they sell the caster wheels for these jacks but in the manual, Reese (Cequent Consumer Products, Inc.) says this:
This product is not intended to be used as a transport device for the implement it is attached to. Minimize movement of the implement when the jack is under load.
And
These jacks are designed for vertical loading. Excessive side forces may cause jack failure and should be avoided.
Lawyer-speak no doubt, but be aware that if the jack collapses while you are wheeling your trailer around, the manufacture might well refer to this text in which case you will be in your own for the repair bill.

BTW, apparently this particular model is discontinued, although still available in the retail chain.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Jacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I always find it interesting that they sell the caster wheels for these jacks but in the manual, Reese (Cequent Consumer Products, Inc.) says this:
This product is not intended to be used as a transport device for the implement it is attached to. Minimize movement of the implement when the jack is under load.
And
These jacks are designed for vertical loading. Excessive side forces may cause jack failure and should be avoided.
Lawyer-speak no doubt, but be aware that if the jack collapses while you are wheeling your trailer around, the manufacture might well refer to this text in which case you will be in your own for the repair bill.

BTW, apparently this particular model is discontinued, although still available in the retail chain.
I too have a lightweight swing-up swivel jack on the front of my 13' Scamp standard with only a battery and one tank on the front. It is a light weight Scamp, with no AC, refrigerator or furnace. The jack was from Harbor Freight, rated at 1,000 lbs, and works great to push the Scamp around my cement driveway in Fresno, or even paved spaces in campgrounds. . But recently it collapsed, caused I believe by the bungee cord that holds up the handle getting caught in the pin mechanism that secures the jack vertically. The result was that the jack collapsed and the tongues dropped down on my foot, but only a glancing blow. My foot is still a bit black and blue and painful after 3 -4 weeks, but nothing broken. But the rough underside of the tongue chipped my cement driveway. You can imagine what that would happen to one's foot if it landed directly on it, So be careful with folding jacks! ! ! David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #6

Name: Clif
Trailer: 08 Weiscraft Little Joe 14 Subaru Outback 2.5i CVT
Louisiana
Registry
Belt and Suspenders..........................?

Tags
scamp