Where Have You Mounted Your Charge Wizard? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2015, 06:24 AM   #1

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Where Have You Mounted Your Charge Wizard?

Hi Everyone,
I have a Progressive Dynamics 30 amp Model 9130 converter in my Scamp 13er. I'm about to purchase the PD9105 Charge Wizard for it, but the directions for the install state to not install on the converter itself (thank you Floyd, for sending me those directions).
I just saw a picture of it, and the cord seems long enough for a variety of installation "spots." Where have you installed it and what media did you use? I'm assuming I would keep it under the driver side dinette bench seat in the cubbie where the converter and water heater is on my Scamp, but I don't have a lot of room in there.
Thinking that folks use VHB tape or industrial velcro to adhese in there somehow, but I also want to be able to see it in operation, along with the indicator light. I also read that you want to keep it away from water/outdoor weather, but assume that I shouldn't be concerned about water vapor or "weather" coming in from 30 amp shore power cord inlet. If water heater blows...I'd have bigger problems!
Much obliged for your ideas and wishing all a fabulous 2016!

Warm regards,
Wendy
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:56 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
The blinking light gets old when trying to sleep. I had one in a S-16 SD. The converter was mounted behind a door under the rear side dinette seat. I plugged it into the converter and did not mount it to anything. When I wanted to monitor the light I let it dangle out the door. At night or underway I would put it back behind the cabinet door. In a S-13 you could mount it inside the door under your furnace and open the door when you want to watch the light.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 07:07 AM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
I installed it on the side of galley, close to the wall, above dinette cushion. You can easily run the cable between outside wall and the top of dinette bench if unscrew 1 or 2 screws which attach the bench to the wall. If I remember right, 9105 comes with a piece of VHB to mount.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:10 AM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Interestingly enough, Progressive Dynamics also uses that same charging circuit in the PD-4045 & PD-4065 Power chassis without the pendant or LED's, and it does the same job. We had the pendant equipped converter in another FGRV and never had a need to use or even look at it. Personally, can't see a real need for it, and watching those LED's isn't all that entertaining.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

New York
Registry
Thank you for all of the suggestions on install. You are right Sergey, I checked Dyers online and it did show a picture of mounting tape on back of unit.

I didn't mean to assert I was going to stare at a blinking light all day Bob! Heavens that's not what I camp for. What I meant was after plugging I to shore power just want to see that it's on and working.

I can see how the blinking light would keep me up at night too Eddie. I'll probably try to install under sink counter on FG galley wall if I can get it under there. Such a teeny space! But I am small in stature and overall size, and could probably be a contortionist for a little while to get the work done!

I will be excited to install this on my converter, and look forward to the smart battery charging it will provide.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 12-31-2015, 09:22 AM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
Here is a photo of where I mounted mine in our Scamp 13D. There was an opening in the framing under the bench and above the floor where I could snake the cord back to the converter. Mounting it low prevents having to view blinking lights when trying to sleep in the bed.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0627.jpg  
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:23 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampyTime View Post

I will be excited to install this on my converter, and look forward to the smart battery charging it will provide.
Don't get too excited! You will probably notice absolutely nothing different, but it should help the battery last longer before it needs to be replaced (assuming other proper maintenance also). So maybe in 3-5 years you can then get excited because you are not having to buy a new battery for a while longer.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 09:34 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Thank you Rich and Val for another great mounting suggestion idea! Your trailer is pretty. Gordon, I do have to check my fluid levels in the battery I know. On my list today to do!

Old 12-31-2015, 11:04 AM   #9

Name: Danny
Trailer: Scamp 13'
Kentucky
No need to attach

The unit is so small it fits between the back wall and the dinette base at the floor curvature. When we are camping we slide it inside the dinette. I only monitor it during storage when it is slid out through the crack so I can see the little green light when peeking inside the trailer. I prefer not to see it when we are spending time in the camper. We always keep the trailer plugged up and depend on the Wizard to prevent overcharging, hopefully it is working.
Danny1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:28 PM   #10

New York
Registry
Thanks Danny. Yet another mounting option you've provided! Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. Much appreciated!