Where is your DVD player in your FGRV? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 11:10 PM   #1

Name: Lynn
Trailer: Casita Spirit 16'
Indiana
Where is your DVD player in your FGRV?

I need help deciding where to install a DVD or Blue Ray player in my 16' Casita. I had a TV installed on a swivel mount attached to the bottom of the rear upper storage cabinet. There is an outlet there on the starboard side for just that purpose. I don't want a shelf because 4 of us will sometimes sit at the dinette.

I could put the DVD player in the upper cabinet above the TV. But then how do I deal with the cabinet door hanging down if I leave it open to use the remote to operate the DVD player? Also, the player would have to sit on something to put DVD's in it or it will be below the edge of the cabinet door opening. I am also concerned about drilling a hole in the fiberglass bottom of the cabinet for the cord that hooks to the TV and to plug it in. I don't want it to look ugly and messy.

have some of you installed a DVD player in your upper cabinet and been pleased with your adaptation? Also, can I learn from your mistakes?

Thanks, Lynn
Old 03-28-2017, 11:13 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
My laptop computer also functions as my TV and Blueray/DVD player. One for all...all-in-one
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:45 AM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post
I need help deciding where to install a DVD or Blue Ray player in my 16' Casita. I had a TV installed on a swivel mount attached to the bottom of the rear upper storage cabinet. There is an outlet there on the starboard side for just that purpose. I don't want a shelf because 4 of us will sometimes sit at the dinette.
I could put the DVD player in the upper cabinet above the TV. But then how do I deal with the cabinet door hanging down if I leave it open to use the remote to operate the DVD player? Also, the player would have to sit on something to put DVD's in it or it will be below the edge of the cabinet door opening. I am also concerned about drilling a hole in the fiberglass bottom of the cabinet for the cord that hooks to the TV and to plug it in. I don't want it to look ugly and messy.

Most folks I know that use DVD players only use them on occasion. If it was me, I would set the player on the counter and just run the cord to the TV and pack it up and store it when I was done with it. Another option is getting a dedicated player with a screen and forget using the TV....only have to have 12V, just sayin' .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:41 AM   #4
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
I only use tv,s with the DVD player built in no fuss with extra wires and space and are very inexpensive.
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:28 AM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just bought a new tv/dvd combo, LED and 12v for less than $130....weighs at 4 lbs.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:46 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
I only use tv,s with the DVD player built in no fuss with extra wires and space and are very inexpensive.
We follow the same approach . It makes for a neater installation doesn't use up valuable storage space .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
When we installed our first TV in our Scamp we did not want a DVD built-in to the TV because of the reliability difference. so we mounted it under the cabinet above the TV....
You can now buy a 12V TV with built-in DVD for $129,and you can throw it away if the DVD quits...
My 13" Sharpvision was well over $500 (in2004) and it wasn't even digital!
Attached Thumbnails
Pic015.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Lynn View Post

have some of you installed a DVD player in your upper cabinet and been pleased with your adaptation? Also, can I learn from your mistakes?

Thanks, Lynn
We put a DVD player on the cabinet above the table with 2" industrial strength velcro. I put 2 strips on the DVD player and stuck it up on the cabinet bottom. Clean the DVD player and the cabinet with alcohol first to remove any oils or dirt. No holes, right next to the plug in and we ran the wires with some stick on clips so they didn't hang down. Can be removed but don't plan on moving it often. That kind of velcro is very strong. Ours has been on our cabinet for about 5 years and so far as stayed in place. Since a DVD player is so thin it doesn't interfere with any heads. We put it over just enough that it would be out of the way. So it should fit next to your TV.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote