Where should I mount my Inverter? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 AM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Looks like my guess about the low power efficiency was pretty darn close. Check this pdf file out. 500 Watt inverter, efficiency starts going down the tube at 50 Watt output (10%).

Old 06-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
Looks like my guess about the low power efficiency was pretty darn close. Check this pdf file out. 500 Watt inverter, efficiency starts going down the tube at 50 Watt output (10%).
You have a different concept of "down the tube" than I do. It looks to me like the efficiency is pretty darn close to flat linear throughout the entire range after 50w... Very inefficient up to about 30w with a no-load idle draw of 5-6watts which is about 500mA. The graph doesn't have enough resolution but it looks like the efficiency drops by about 7 percent fairly linearly from 50w to 500w. That's not really "down the tube" is it?

Gina says her battery dies "WAY quicker" if she's using the 400w inverter to run her computer than if she's using the 100w inverter. She either has a crap 400W inverter, has a different definition of "WAY quicker" than we do, or her test wasn't scientific.

There's a lot of things one can do to affect the power consumption of a laptop. Whether or not your wireless antenna is turned on, bluetooth, screen brightness, cpu speed profile, playing a movie from a DVD instead of disk, playing a game... I'd be willing to bet there was a difference in the usage or setup of the laptop between her two tests..

I just can not accept that as a general rule, big inverters are _significantly_ less efficient at low draw than a small linverter at high draw... In fact, if this graph is typical of inverter efficiency, then her 100w inverter should have been less efficient at the upper end of its load than her 400w inverter and hence, she should have seen the reverse happen.

If, after a scientific test, Gina finds that her 400w inverter really does suck down her batteries at a much higher rate than the same load on her 100w inverter, I would probably find her 400w inverter faulty.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:53 AM   #17

Name: Gina D.
Trailer: '77 Leocraft 17 & Former Burro owner and fan!
West Coast USA
Registry
Quote:
I'd be willing to bet there was a difference in the usage or setup of the laptop between her two tests..
That guess would be incorrect.

I typically never run my comp inverted, only charge it inverted. (I have run in inverted in a "Must do" situation, but those are rare and pretty untypical.. and usually in a running car when I desperately need a map...)

A laptop OFF does nothing current draw wise, other than charging the battery. If I was charging the battery at full depletion vs. one at 95% down, and then coming up with my conclusion, your guess would be correct, however, I typically run down to 45% then charge. So, ... like charge vs. like charge.. running off the same group 24 battery within hours of each other, and showing the same differences consistently afterwards, seems pretty equal to me.

Also, as previously mentioned, the same variances are shown between many sized inverters.. not just the 400 vs. the 100. That eliminates the 400 as the root cause.

Since I installed and actually prefer my LEDs for lighting, I really have no use for inversion other than the laptop. I carry all this fodder "just in case" and have only used them since for infrequent and short use of power tools and small musical instrument amplifiers.. (Which are as a rule.. are not allowed when I camp.. but some of my friends just can't live without for a day... arrgh!)
Old 06-05-2007, 09:43 AM   #18

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
You have a different concept of "down the tube" than I do.
Key words in my post with link to the graph [b]starts to go
Old 10-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #19

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
I ues 14/2 house wire on a 300w inverter, from the battery from april till october use it on a 15 inch flat screen tv and cheep dvd player still lots of power in battery, All the places i go have no hydro hook up.