where to buy a upgraded axle for Scamp 13 in Ontario/Quebec Canada?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
where to buy a upgraded axle for Scamp 13 in Ontario/Quebec Canada??

I am looking for a place to order a new axle.

I am located in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and am also open to suggestions in the Toronto or Kingston area.

I am considering replacing the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13. My research shows that the direct replacement is a Dexter #9 Torflex with a weight rating of 2000 lbs.

What if I wanted to go with a Dexter Torflex axle with a higher weight rating, say 2500 or 3000 pounds? Has anyone done this?

I guess my 3rd desires spec is to have brakes on the new axle, any recommendations for brakes and a higher weight limit than 2000 lbs?
Luxus Panzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Not being from the area, I have no recommendations for an axle dealer.

As for a higher weight rating on the axle, that will not increase the rated load of the trailer. The axle is only one of several factors. The coupler, and the frame are also parts of the system.

Typically axles come in 2000lb or 3500lb capacities, but some manufactures will de-rate a 3500lb axle to 2500lb or 3000lb. They do this by changing, the rubber in the suspension.

As for brakes, you order them with the axle. A 2000lb axle will most likely have 7 inch brakes and a 3500lb axle will have 10 inch brakes.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As for a higher weight rating on the axle, that will not increase the rated load of the trailer. The axle is only one of several factors. The coupler, and the frame are also parts of the system.
To expand on that, the axle should be matched to the trailer (weight wise) so that it compresses the rubber the right amount. Overload a torsion axle and it will bottom out. Underload it and the rubber will not compress to soften the ride. You might well want to tweak the rating a little but only if the engineering is sound.

A quote from this manual:

Torflex axle ride performance is best when the torsion arm is at or neareast to horizontal when the vehicle is at its rated load....
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Quebec
Sound advice and makes sense.

I will stick with a Dexter #9 2000 pound axle and order brakes with it.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post

I am located in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and am also open to suggestions in the Toronto or Kingston area.

I am considering replacing the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13. My research shows that the direct replacement is a Dexter #9 Torflex with a weight rating of 2000 lbs.

What if I wanted to go with a Dexter Torflex axle with a higher weight rating, say 2500 or 3000 pounds? Has anyone done this?

I guess my 3rd desires spec is to have brakes on the new axle, any recommendations for brakes and a higher weight limit than 2000 lbs?
My 2004 Scamp13D front bath has a torflex #9 axle, rated at 2200 pounds. Even with less than optimum care, it is still in great shape after 13 years and 70,000 miles.

I have considered an upgrade to a zero 2500# axle just to get 10" brakes. However I just replaced my 7" brakes in kind. The new ones are, for some reason, much more effective than the originals, so I will put off the change.

Your axle almost surely has the four bolt plates behind the spindles to add brakes.
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe?
Question then is why are you changing so soon?
Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes?

Be careful if you increase the weight rating too much.

If you have a Standard then you are not likely to carry more than 1500 pounds on the axle. Double that and expect some undesirable consequences.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

Registry
Quote:
Sound advice and makes sense.

I will stick with a Dexter #9 2000 pound axle and order brakes with it.

Thanks.
Why not 2200#? Same axle.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
To expand on that, the axle should be matched to the trailer (weight wise) so that it compresses the rubber the right amount. Overload a torsion axle and it will bottom out. Underload it and the rubber will not compress to soften the ride. You might well want to teak the rating a little but only if the engineering is sound.

A quote from this manual:

Torflex axle ride performance is best when the torsion arm is at or neareast to horizontal when the vehicle is at its rated load....
So how do you get to horizontal on a 22up axle?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

The 2010 Scamp13 has a 2" coupler, Same as the 16. The frame is the same material and design, only 3feet shorter. (read stronger?)
The spindle is the only significant difference in this application and the highest rated axle with a 1-1/16" X 1-1/16" spindle is 2200 pounds.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The 2010 Scamp13 has a 2" coupler, Same as the 16. The frame is the same material and design, only 3feet shorter. (read stronger?)
The spindle is the only significant difference in this application and the highest rated axle with a 1-1/16" X 1-1/16" spindle is 2200 pounds.
Oh, you are preaching to the choir. But it is still not going to change the rated capacity of the trailer. Legally, that can only be done by the manufacturer. Though it may change the practical capacity of the trailer.

I changed the 2000lb axle on my Trillium 4500 to a 3500lb axle. The suspension was so stiff that coming home from the shop, with an empty trailer, I went across a rail crossing. In my mirror, I saw my trailer go airborne. The table was the only thing damaged, but after that I kept lots of weight in the trailer.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:

Find a Princess Auto Store...they have anything and everything you will ever want !
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Doing the replacement yourself or paying? Either way, I'd say a trailer shop. They can order the part and install it, or just order it. The one thing I will say, is don't go through an RV shop.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
axel replacment

Why do you need to replace the axel on one that new . just asking
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I'v never replaced an axle on a travel trailer but I have several times on a cargo trailer. I don't know the configuration of your chassis but if it permits you may want to consider using leaf springs. My cargo trailers had a straight chassis over the axle so I reinforced it with 2x4 metal tubing on edge the full length of the chassis. I replaced the 2000lb axle with a 3500 pound axle which came with electric brakes. The original springs were 3 leaf. The replacement springs were 6 leaf. Leaf springs perform well over a larger weight range and are durable. Installation is very straight forward and they are cheap. I got mine at Princess Auto.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #14

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe?
Question then is why are you changing so soon?
Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes?

Be careful if you increase the weight rating too much.

If you have a Standard then you are not likely to carry more than 1500 pounds on the axle. Double that and expect some undesirable consequences.
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe? = Standard

Question then is why are you changing so soon? = I do not think the previous owner ever took weight off the axles during the winter. When I put the scamp on jack stands this year the wheels only fell about 1 inch.

Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes? = Would like brakes, but I will have to look for these mounting plates in the spring that I may have.
Extra ride height would be nice. My standard has 2X propane tanks and a battery, thus it weighs in at approx. 1600 lbs. This only leaves 400 pounds for kit AND people
Old 12-08-2017, 07:19 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
axel replacment

Thats is vary little wiggle room .i have a bigfoot 17 stats say 1800Lbs dry and a 3500 lbs axel ,Then there is the real weight.i think it is around 2500 lbs .the scale will tell. i also went from 14" tires ot 15" tires more ,hight more ,load rating, best of all more stable handling .works well in moutain conditions. As for brakes i put then on all but the small utlity jobs . No down side to brakes. Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:21 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
...Extra ride height would be nice. My standard has 2X propane tanks and a battery, thus it weighs in at approx. 1600 lbs. This only leaves 400 pounds for kit AND people
I'm pretty sure your Scamp has a 2200 pound axle. You say your Scamp weighs 1600* pounds unloaded, which probably means 200 pounds or so on the tongue with the extra tank. That leaves only 1400 pounds on a 2200 pound axle. That's 800 pounds of cargo carrying capacity.
*Seems high for an unloaded layout 1 with only the basic option package- have you scaled it?

Regarding people in the trailer, it's only when parked, and if it's for any length of time, the weight will be partly distributed to jack and stabilizers.

As to the 1", I bet you'll find if you leave it on the stands, it will slowly drop more as the rubber relaxes. That's what I've noticed with mine, and I don't think the first owner used jack stands, either. The ride height may have settled a little, but the rubber is still pliable and the ride is good- no excessive bouncing, no unusual tire wear.

I truly think your axle is fine. If you WANT to change it to raise the ride height, that's fine, but I don't think you HAVE to. I've taken mine down some rutted back roads with care and without incident. Same thing with capacity- if you want to go a little higher, you can, but you don't have to. If you do go higher, the ride will suffer.

If it's a bolted installation, you could do it yourself, but the measurements are critical. That's why I agree that an experienced utility trailer shop is your best bet.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:19 AM   #17

Registry
Quote:
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe? = Standard

Question then is why are you changing so soon? = I do not think the previous owner ever took weight off the axles during the winter. When I put the scamp on jack stands this year the wheels only fell about 1 inch.

Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes? = Would like brakes, but I will have to look for these mounting plates in the spring that I may have.
Extra ride height would be nice. My standard has 2X propane tanks and a battery, thus it weighs in at approx. 1600 lbs. This only leaves 400 pounds for kit AND people
You've said nothing which indicates significant wear on your axle.

If you want greater ride height simply order a direct replacement with brakes and a Zero attitude. Your present axle is a 22 degrees up.
A #9 axle can be ordered with various angles effecting height and with various rubber length effecting capacity up to 2200#.
If you don't have a gray tank and front plumbing you won't need more clearance for anything like normal use.

Contrary to what you read here, ride height is not a significant indicator of wear. Progressive negative camber and tow out is.
If you aren't experiencing excessive wear on the inside of your tire tread,
then buy a complete brake kit and consider replacement again in another decade. ( or do it now, its your money)
Old 12-08-2017, 07:46 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Ontario FGRV services !

I believe the OP has asked 'Where to buy ...', from his Gatineau/Ottawa location ? Pail Neumeister at 'A-! Auto' in Sebringville, Ontario is one of the best sources for all matters pertaining to our smaller FGRVs. He is well known to many of us, not only in Ontario; but, also in several of the bordering US states. He replaced my axle, with a new one, that now includes brakes. A pleasant gentleman, with loads of knowledge and appropriate advice.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:51 AM   #19

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
I believe the OP has asked 'Where to buy ...', from his Gatineau/Ottawa location ? Pail Neumeister at 'A-! Auto' in Sebringville, Ontario is one of the best sources for all matters pertaining to our smaller FGRVs. He is well known to many of us, not only in Ontario; but, also in several of the bordering US states. He replaced my axle, with a new one, that now includes brakes. A pleasant gentleman, with loads of knowledge and appropriate advice.
Thank you
Old 12-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #20

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
In my experience it's usually beneficial try to increase capacity when you do things like this, so that you have it in the event that you need it. Suspension, be it torsion of leaf, tends to sag with time and usage. Increased suspension height, seeing as how you are replacing it anyway, allows for larger tires, thus more clearance for boondocking. I sometimes buy 6 ply but usually 8 or 10 ply tires. They are more durable and less likely to heat up so they last longer and are more economical over the long term. Increasing the trailer height doesn't decrease stability if you use a heavier suspension to do it. It actually increases stability. Stability is only lost if you modify the original suspension with shackles or chassis blocks to make it higher. You can replace components of your axle system but you may be replacing only one weak link in the chain. It's best to have no weak links. I've seen folks save a buck by cheeping out in these situations only to run into difficulty on the road. Once you figure in the cost of a retrieval, likely additional damage to your unit and then the cost of a proper repair the economics change drastically. And there goes your fun trip!
I camp to have a good time, not to be concerned with trailer or tow vehicle issues. Just saying.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp