where to buy a upgraded axle for Scamp 13 in Ontario/Quebec Canada?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-06-2017, 10:28 AM   #1

Name: Z
Trailer: Scamp
Quebec
where to buy a upgraded axle for Scamp 13 in Ontario/Quebec Canada??

I am looking for a place to order a new axle.

I am located in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and am also open to suggestions in the Toronto or Kingston area.

I am considering replacing the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13. My research shows that the direct replacement is a Dexter #9 Torflex with a weight rating of 2000 lbs.

What if I wanted to go with a Dexter Torflex axle with a higher weight rating, say 2500 or 3000 pounds? Has anyone done this?

I guess my 3rd desires spec is to have brakes on the new axle, any recommendations for brakes and a higher weight limit than 2000 lbs?

Old 12-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Not being from the area, I have no recommendations for an axle dealer.

As for a higher weight rating on the axle, that will not increase the rated load of the trailer. The axle is only one of several factors. The coupler, and the frame are also parts of the system.

Typically axles come in 2000lb or 3500lb capacities, but some manufactures will de-rate a 3500lb axle to 2500lb or 3000lb. They do this by changing, the rubber in the suspension.

As for brakes, you order them with the axle. A 2000lb axle will most likely have 7 inch brakes and a 3500lb axle will have 10 inch brakes.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:32 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
As for a higher weight rating on the axle, that will not increase the rated load of the trailer. The axle is only one of several factors. The coupler, and the frame are also parts of the system.
To expand on that, the axle should be matched to the trailer (weight wise) so that it compresses the rubber the right amount. Overload a torsion axle and it will bottom out. Underload it and the rubber will not compress to soften the ride. You might well want to tweak the rating a little but only if the engineering is sound.

A quote from this manual:

Torflex axle ride performance is best when the torsion arm is at or neareast to horizontal when the vehicle is at its rated load....
Old 12-06-2017, 11:36 AM   #4

Quebec
Sound advice and makes sense.

I will stick with a Dexter #9 2000 pound axle and order brakes with it.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxus Panzer View Post

I am located in the Ottawa/Gatineau area and am also open to suggestions in the Toronto or Kingston area.

I am considering replacing the axle on my 2010 Scamp 13. My research shows that the direct replacement is a Dexter #9 Torflex with a weight rating of 2000 lbs.

What if I wanted to go with a Dexter Torflex axle with a higher weight rating, say 2500 or 3000 pounds? Has anyone done this?

I guess my 3rd desires spec is to have brakes on the new axle, any recommendations for brakes and a higher weight limit than 2000 lbs?
My 2004 Scamp13D front bath has a torflex #9 axle, rated at 2200 pounds. Even with less than optimum care, it is still in great shape after 13 years and 70,000 miles.

I have considered an upgrade to a zero 2500# axle just to get 10" brakes. However I just replaced my 7" brakes in kind. The new ones are, for some reason, much more effective than the originals, so I will put off the change.

Your axle almost surely has the four bolt plates behind the spindles to add brakes.
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe?
Question then is why are you changing so soon?
Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes?

Be careful if you increase the weight rating too much.

If you have a Standard then you are not likely to carry more than 1500 pounds on the axle. Double that and expect some undesirable consequences.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:54 AM   #6

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Sound advice and makes sense.

I will stick with a Dexter #9 2000 pound axle and order brakes with it.

Thanks.
Why not 2200#? Same axle.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:56 AM   #7

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
To expand on that, the axle should be matched to the trailer (weight wise) so that it compresses the rubber the right amount. Overload a torsion axle and it will bottom out. Underload it and the rubber will not compress to soften the ride. You might well want to teak the rating a little but only if the engineering is sound.

A quote from this manual:

Torflex axle ride performance is best when the torsion arm is at or neareast to horizontal when the vehicle is at its rated load....
So how do you get to horizontal on a 22up axle?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post

The 2010 Scamp13 has a 2" coupler, Same as the 16. The frame is the same material and design, only 3feet shorter. (read stronger?)
The spindle is the only significant difference in this application and the highest rated axle with a 1-1/16" X 1-1/16" spindle is 2200 pounds.
Old 12-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #9

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The 2010 Scamp13 has a 2" coupler, Same as the 16. The frame is the same material and design, only 3feet shorter. (read stronger?)
The spindle is the only significant difference in this application and the highest rated axle with a 1-1/16" X 1-1/16" spindle is 2200 pounds.
Oh, you are preaching to the choir. But it is still not going to change the rated capacity of the trailer. Legally, that can only be done by the manufacturer. Though it may change the practical capacity of the trailer.

I changed the 2000lb axle on my Trillium 4500 to a 3500lb axle. The suspension was so stiff that coming home from the shop, with an empty trailer, I went across a rail crossing. In my mirror, I saw my trailer go airborne. The table was the only thing damaged, but after that I kept lots of weight in the trailer.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:23 AM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:

Find a Princess Auto Store...they have anything and everything you will ever want !
Old 12-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #11

Name: Zach
Trailer: 91 Bigfoot 17
Montana
Registry
Doing the replacement yourself or paying? Either way, I'd say a trailer shop. They can order the part and install it, or just order it. The one thing I will say, is don't go through an RV shop.
Old 12-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
axel replacment

Why do you need to replace the axel on one that new . just asking
Old 12-07-2017, 12:27 PM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I'v never replaced an axle on a travel trailer but I have several times on a cargo trailer. I don't know the configuration of your chassis but if it permits you may want to consider using leaf springs. My cargo trailers had a straight chassis over the axle so I reinforced it with 2x4 metal tubing on edge the full length of the chassis. I replaced the 2000lb axle with a 3500 pound axle which came with electric brakes. The original springs were 3 leaf. The replacement springs were 6 leaf. Leaf springs perform well over a larger weight range and are durable. Installation is very straight forward and they are cheap. I got mine at Princess Auto.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:12 AM   #14

Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe?
Question then is why are you changing so soon?
Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes?

Be careful if you increase the weight rating too much.

If you have a Standard then you are not likely to carry more than 1500 pounds on the axle. Double that and expect some undesirable consequences.
Is your Scamp a Standard or Deluxe? = Standard

Question then is why are you changing so soon? = I do not think the previous owner ever took weight off the axles during the winter. When I put the scamp on jack stands this year the wheels only fell about 1 inch.

Is it tire wear? Is it ride height? Just to get brakes? = Would like brakes, but I will have to look for these mounting plates in the spring that I may have.
Extra ride height would be nice. My standard has 2X propane tanks and a battery, thus it weighs in at approx. 1600 lbs. This only leaves 400 pounds for kit AND people

Tags
axle, scamp