Where to put Maxxair fan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #1

Name: Steve in NY
Trailer: Scamp
New York
Where to put Maxxair fan

I have decided to purchase a Maxxair fan. My question is where to put it. My 16 foot Scamp has a screened escape hatch vent mounted just slightly forward of the dinette. I am 6' tall and my head almost grazes the cieling. It seems that the Maxxair protrudes into the cabin from reading other posts, making the likely spot directly over the dinette, just aft of the current vent. But then it would be right over where we sleep and blow air straight at us. Has anyone done this or know of something else? I really don't want to give up headroom, and I want a rainproof fan.

thanks
Steve
Steve in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
When you sleep, you don't need the fan to blow air in. Turn it to blow air out. Over the dinette is the best place for the fan.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
When you sleep, you don't need the fan to blow air in. Turn it to blow air out. Over the dinette is the best place for the fan.
Agreed, then just open your choice of window/s and you have the breeze you want. Probably quieter too. We usually open the "kitchen" window for an indirect breeze, unless its really warm and we open a window over our bed for a more direct wind.

One downside of this is the resulting negative pressure in your RV. This can be a problem when you do long flushes in the bathroom. Keeping that valve open too long will suck interesting odors up into the RV. We have developed skill at partial opening and quick foot action on the flush mechanism. Or you could turn off the fan for the time you are flushing or even reverse the fan if you really need long duration substantial tidal wave flushing action. We try to use campground facilities on the rare occasions when this may be required. ;-)

OTOH we often set the fan to blow in while showering or cooking and open a nearby window. This exhausts the moisture/odors close to the source.

Cool breezes and sweet fragrances to all,

John

PS. We had both escape hatch and fantastic fan on our previous 16 foot Scamp, a very nice combo. I miss the escape hatch on our current 13 footer. I wish Scamp would offer a MaxxAir choice. Seems a better fan to me. I tried to leave a fan off our Scamp order but my DW said I had too many projects already. She has been my girl for 46 years and she is/was probably right and the fantastic fan is a good one too.
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 06:43 AM   #4

New York
Duh.....I was thinking of air just blowing down on us while sleeping! I still am contemplating this. I want a fan, but I don't want to worry about rain. The trouble with the maxxair is the thickness required of the roof. It seems that you either have to build a flange up out of the roof, or down to keep it flush outside with the Scamps thin roof.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
scf

Name: Steve
Trailer: 98 Scamp 16
British Columbia
Max Fan install

I have posted pictures my Maxx Fan installation on this forum under modifications:
"Maxx Fan Installation on curved roof | Scamp Owners International"
I used a 5/8" plywood spacer - worked well with minimal intrusion into the interior. When the fan is on and windows cracked open there is lots of cross draft for ventilation and cooling around the bed area (rear dinette).
scf
PS. the curved roof was a non-issue.
scf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Since I am such a fan of fibreglass, I plan to use a 1"x1" fibreglass square tube framing the outside of the 14" vent hole to thicken up the attachment point and raise the fan up.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:20 AM   #7

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
I want a fan, but I don't want to worry about rain. .
I installed a cover on both of my Scamp roof vents (two different trailers). Currently I use this from Camco, about 18 bucks. Keeps the rain out.

I also added a PWM speed control to my Fantastic Fan to reduce power draw an offer variable speed, instead of FF's 3 distinct (loud) speeds. The FF comes with a resistor for speed control, effective but power wasting. I like the infinitely variable speed of the PWM since even the stock FF low speed is too noisy most of the time. ($5.00 eBay something like this but with with a detachable knob/pot)
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2015-05-29 at 11.17.58 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 10:52 AM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I put mine over the rear bed/table area. The trailer had a light over the rear table so I just removed that and cut out that area and used the 12 volt wire that the light had used.

I mounted the fan so it was flush with the roof on the outside so it does drop down a little inside the trailer but as its over the table so bumping your head is not an issue & its hardly noticeable. Used wood and stained it to match what is on the big Scamp escape hatch.
Attached Thumbnails
Fan outside.jpg   2009-04-30_004 small.JPG  

Scamp Fan inside 2.jpg  
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 11:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Maxxair fan

Why would you worry about blowing on you while you are sleeping? Just don't turn it on. We very seldom use ours, only blowing out while using the propane stove, and maybe on very hot days. At night, the air is cool and natural circulation from the heat in the trailer causes a 'chimney effect' circulation. Of course we do have cool evenings. I wouldn't have a problem with the fan on 'low' blowing out.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in NY View Post
I have decided to purchase a Maxxair fan. My question is where to put it. My 16 foot Scamp has a screened escape hatch vent mounted just slightly forward of the dinette. I am 6' tall and my head almost grazes the cieling. It seems that the Maxxair protrudes into the cabin from reading other posts, making the likely spot directly over the dinette, just aft of the current vent. But then it would be right over where we sleep and blow air straight at us. Has anyone done this or know of something else? I really don't want to give up headroom, and I want a rainproof fan.

thanks
Steve
Our MaxxFan was placed where the original roof fan was, over the center aisle. It fit the same opening, And is great in the rain. Folds down for travel.
We do not have an A/C. The escape hatch over the rear dinette/Bed remains unchanged, except that I have a piece of dense foam insulation fitted in to insulate, keep warmth in in cool weather, and keep heat out iin hot weather. I made a wood frame to fit on top of the opening and fit the curve of the roof while providing a flat surface for the fan/vent. It also uses the wiring from the stock fan.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #11

New York
Wayne, I don't think there is a "Stock" fan or I'd have one! I am wondering if you have a Maxxair over the aise, does it stick down and reduce headroom? I'd love to see pictures.