where to sleep 3rd grandchild in Bigfoot 17.5 2007 model? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
where to sleep 3rd grandchild in Bigfoot 17.5 2007 model?

For sleeping spots my wife and I are fine as are our 2 grandaughters but I have a 12 year grandson we have to fit in somehow. Has anyone figured out a quick bed above the dinette that can be taken down in the morning? Our trailer has the bed in the rear. There are over head cabinets front and back. The last time we camped he was in the back of the SUV but I locked it and he had to pee in the middle of the night. The bloody alarm woke up the campground as he stood there in the rain crying. I said never again so now I'm looking for a solution. I cannot move up as I have no room to park larger at my house.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Children often prefer to sleep in a tent. You might consider that. My kids when they were little (the youngest 4) were going backpacking and sleeping their own tents.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
What about a re-allocation of space? Would it work if the girls took the main bed and you, the bottom bunk with your grandson up top? I don't know the ages of the girls, but it's a thought.

Good luck! I have this image in my head of your poor grandson, needing to pee, setting off that alarm
...and it brought back alot of memories of my own 3 boys on various camping trips many years ago. Thanks for the laughs and smiles.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 12:06 AM   #4

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Depending on the size of the girls...perhaps they could share a bunk by sleeping with their heads at opposite ends and their feet overlapping a bit. If they each had a sleeping bag and the girls are short and slim, this could work handily and would free up a bunk for the 12 year old boy.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 06:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Is this an "every camping trip" thing, or just once-in-a-while? What you decide to do may be influenced by frequency. I've found kids to be very resilient. They're just happy to be going. An air mattress on the floor/in a sleeping bag may be the easiest solution. Draw straws and make it a GOOD thing. They'll pick up on your attitude about it.

But, I have to say you're braver than I! I have three grand girls. I'm only planning on taking one at a time. That child will get 100% of my time while camping. I hope to help each child make terrific memories of camping with grandma.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:12 AM   #6

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
I put one of these on top of my tear drop for my kids to sleep in. you could mount it to the top of you truck. Kamp-Rite Oversize Tent Cot - Green : Target
Or go the high end root with one of these I bought for when me teanagers no longer wanted to sleep in the camper with us. http://www.bigfoottents.com/
I know this does not answer your question I just thought I would through it out there.
Old 12-06-2015, 07:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
This is a friends solution for car sleeping emergencies. They attach a small flat LED flash light to the side with rubber bands. Press a button and it lights it up at night.

Attached Thumbnails
urinal.jpg  
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #8

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
Thanks all for your thoughts. It looks like some did not understand from my dilemna that the bigfoot 17.5 only has a rear small bed for 2 and the dinette sleeps 2. Where to sleep our grandson inside the camper is the issue. We have bears and cougars here in BC and would prefer him inside. I think the air mattress on the floor might do the trick and keep the door to washroom open.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
Thanks all for your thoughts. It looks like some did not understand from my dilemna that the bigfoot 17.5 only has a rear small bed for 2 and the dinette sleeps 2. Where to sleep our grandson inside the camper is the issue. We have bears and cougars here in BC and would prefer him inside. I think the air mattress on the floor might do the trick and keep the door to washroom open.
Yup, gotta watch out for them bears and cougars, they et all my ancestors at very young age.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #10

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If he can stay in the SUV to "P", there's not much concern for bears or cougars.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 07:23 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If the mattress on the floor doesn't work, a couple of other options...

(1) Head-to-toe sleeping might allow you to squeeze three kids into one bed. Tapered or mummy-style bags keep feet out of others' faces. We sleep head-to-toe in the small dinette bed in our Scamp. My wife was skeptical, but after one night she was surprised at how much roomier it felt.
(2) If you're more ambitious, take out the overhead cabinet over the rear gaucho bed and build an upper bunk (assuming you have the gaucho layout- you didn't say). The bunk was a factory option some, I believe.

A lot depends on how often you expect to need the extra bunk.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
We purposely bought a 13' so we could be alone and not be able (read have to) take along grandchildren.

Here's an idea for a solution:

"Sorry, we can't take you this time."

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:37 AM   #13

Name: k
Trailer: currently shopping
Manitoba
lawkmlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:51 AM   #14

Name: Kyle
Trailer: 2017 13 Scamp Deluxe
Minnesota
Tony you take the suv!
Kyle T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 03:24 PM   #15

Name: Nikki
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
Utah
Registry
We have similar issue, we are going to try sleeping with legs under dinette on air mattress...REI Camp Bed 2.5 Self-Inflating Sleeping Pad - REI.com
Lilliv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot