Where would you install a microwave in Scamp 13? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 05:49 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Where would you install a microwave in Scamp 13?

The beauty of the Scamp 13 is its light weight and simplicity. If one wanted to install a small microwave, where would you install it? The unit we are ordering will not have a furnace, so there could be space there. Any other ideas? It's not an absolute necessity and may defeat the advantage of simplicity. You could convince me not to install one.

Thanks in advance for your replies and ideas.

Regards,
Steve
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:56 PM   #2

Name: Rene
Trailer: Bigfoot 2500 truck camper
British Columbia
A microwave takes so much power to run, you need a generator or are tied to an RV parks shore power. Is that what you really want? Seems like a lot of trouble for a glorified leftover warmer if you ask me. I wouldn't want to be trapped in a 13 footer with a microwave radiation chamber. Give your head a shake! LOL!
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
While a few people do like to have a microwave, we have no use for one. We plan meal sizes to not have leftovers, and that is the main purpose of a microwave, as any cooking in it can be done by other means. Where it would go in our Escape 19, we have a cupboard instead, and much prefer to have the storage space. I think this would only be that much more important in a 13' trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:04 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just installed a MW in a S-13. I found a 700 watt unit at Costco for about $50. It is only 17" wide so it fits the closet wdith without cutting the F/G. It had to stick out about an inch so the MW door will properly open. I mounted it in the top of the closet. Just built a shelf to hold it and I plan to cut about a foot off the top of closet door. I had to run power from under the sink around the rear dinette to the closet. This winter I plan to put an A/C in the bottom of the closet and will use the same power source. I trimmed around the MW with aluminum and will make a strap with snaps on each end to secure the door during transit.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

Name: Bonnie and Claude
Trailer: N/A
Ontario
Registry
We purchased a small Danby Microwave (input wattage 1050; output 750 watts) from Wallysworld and it fits in our 13 Boler closet without any cutting aside from making a small hole to pass the cord through on the side near the dinette bench. We pushed it over against one of the closet walls and that allowed enough room for the microwave door to open. Small angle irons screwed into the shelf on which it sits keep it from 'travelling' when we are on the go. To ensure there is enough air circulation, in additon to keeping the closet door opened when it's running, Claude drilled a few fair-sized holes near the back of shelf above the microwave and we are careful not to overload it. If you also store clothes in the closet you would want the clothing in bins with tight-fitting lids or the fabric will smell like your dinner.
Bonnie n Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:37 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Thanks. I'm thinking "not"....

Thanks, all, for the reply. I've slept since I posted this message. I think simplicity and light weight are key, so I'm not going to install a microwave. If something can't be heated on the stove, it doesn't need to be heated. Also, since there's no room in the fridge for leftovers there should be no need need to reheat anything.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:18 AM   #7

Ontario
Registry
My husband would probably not need one other than to speed the cooking of a potatoe. I am a vegetarian and eat raw or steamed food and find it heats the trailer up to much to use the stovetop. Think it is a question of diet and habit. As our kids are grown and married and we travel with little (i.e. 20 day cruise with a carry-on each), the space it takes is not an issue for us and as we don't use/have the marine battery or fill the water tank, neither is the weight. Think best advice for anyone would be to try a couple of outings with their unit before buying any extras.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #8

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
if it was me, i would spend the money and a combo propane stove oven they sell at pro bass , has like a coleman stove top, and a nice oven below.you can carry it in the back of the tow vehicle and set it up outside the scamp for use. it can cook so much more then microwave food. true its not as fast,,,but ,,,your camping,,whats the rush?
what would you rather have, fresh cooked eggs and biscuits? or a microwaved egg mc muffin"?
Old 09-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #9

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Steve,
We've been on the road for 11 months and live happily without the microwave, the stove top works fine for most reheating.

We have found the small fridge to be adequate for our travels. It's possible 'to increase the size of your fridge' by adding shelves to it. More shelves make the space more useful. We have four shelves and really pack it in.

Also shelves add to the efficiency, providing a defined location for more stuff.

There is some concern by some that a packed fridge isn't as efficient. We have found this not to be the case.

The fridge is mostly closed and everything comes to the same temperature.

We do not have a fan in our's to circulate air. We do have fans that blow over the cooling coils in the back of the fridge. This really seems to make the fridge more efficient.

Safe travels,

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 03:47 PM   #10

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Camping without a microwave? Isn't that a bit like boating without a freezer?

Actually, I enjoy having a NukeOMatic along on my camping trips.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #11

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I love my microwave. I use one at home, use one when camping. Most folks think microwaves are only used for reheating... that's because they don't really know how to use one
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #12

Name: Anita
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Colorado
Hi the Scamp I just bought (16') has a small microwave and the previous owner put it on counter top above refrig and used tie downs to keep it positioned. I agree I may never use it but will keep it for awhile and see if I do..
Seeitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Microwaves are not soooo 1970s. A good (quality) micro can bake/cook/heat (and maybe fry) food. I'm thinking a lot of people here think you only reheat food or boil water in a microwave... that's simply not true in 2012. Check the recipe book that (probably) came with your microwave!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:15 AM   #14

Ontario
Registry
Donna, that is so true and even a cheap one can bake/cook/heat. It just takes a wee bit more time and patience as it's less a matter of how many buttons (options) it has than the wattage. For those who use microwaves, being without is a bit like having the car our for repairs. You may not use it every day but you sure miss not seeing it sitting in the garage or driveway.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:14 PM   #15

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
are you getting one with the front restroom? if so maybe theres room in that closet up front.
if your getting a front couch, make a box that will sit in the corner on the couch and extend you countertop/hold your microwave all in one. and if its a removeable box you can pull it out when you want to sleep on the couch.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #16

Name: Mike
Trailer: 1993 Bigfoot 17 ftCB / 2023 RAV4 Trail
Ontario
Installing a Microwave Oven.

I just installed mine in my Bigfoot 17CB
<http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/installed-microwave-oven-in-bigfoot-17cb-54024.html>
If the shelves could take the weight, maybe this would work in yours.
Mike .....>
Michael Pupeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
S-13 Mirowave inst.

Just installed a microwave in a S-13.
Attached Thumbnails
100_3459.jpg   100_3460.jpg  

Attached Images

Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:32 AM   #18

Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Pupeza View Post
I just installed mine in my Bigfoot 17CB
If the shelves could take the weight, maybe this would work in yours.
Mike .....>
Really nice...wish I had the space in our 13' for that type of install.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #19

Ontario
Registry
There was a post in 2006 with a picture of the microwave in the closet which is exactly what we are doing: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-24829.html
Old 09-21-2012, 11:14 AM   #20

Name: LaDonna
Trailer: burro trailer
Colorado
Ld

Hi...we have a 13' Burro and love traveling with our microwave as we pre-cook all our meals at home. we made a simple wooden cover, with feet, that sits over the burners of the stove..the micro sits on this.....when not in use, we put it on the top bunk or when moving, it sits on the back bed.
ladonna i. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
microwave, scamp