Which foam mattress is best for our Scamp? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #1

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16 foot
Michigan
Smile Which foam mattress is best for our Scamp?

We sleep in the back dinette in our Scamp. We are considering buying a piece of foam to use as a mattress rather than sleeping on the cushions. Anyone else done this? Should we purchase medium or high density foam? Thanks.
inspector4933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
I put 4inch medium density high quality foam in our cushions but find it isn't firm enough to support us and have since added a 1.5 inch memory foam topper.
I would say if your going thicker , like 6inches medium is enough or if your super light weight people 4 might be enough.
To do it over i would use high density
FRED SMAILES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We use a Memory foam topper that we bought at Costco.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
This is a frequent discussion on trailer forums. We took the cushions out of our Uhaul and use a piece of 5" foam that we bought from JC Penney on sale but that was over a year ago. Just yesterday I was researching foam for a new mattress for our teardrop camper. Foambymail.com seemed to have fairly good prices, they also have covers, and will custom make a cover. The problem in some fiberglass campers is that the wall may be curved and the foam will have to be cut to shape [electric carving knife]. As for density, and yes or no on the memory foam is an individual decision. Our bed stays made up all the time.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #5

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We are thinking of memory foam topper, those cushions are pretty firm. Actually they are downright hard! Was wondering what I was going to use to cut the curve, wonder if carving knife would work on memory foam?

Last fall at Algonac rally saw a mattress that was three sections with a single batting "pillow top" joining all three. Top was thin enough it allowed the owner to flip up the end sections to access under seat storage. Middle section covered whole table which eliminated that middle seam. It was custom purchase, think in Canada. Seemed really nice. Might spark an idea for your DIY mattress project.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
We just used a really sharp knife to trim the memory foam.
There is a new type that has jell in it and perforations through it. Bought this for a bed in the house and it is really comfortable. Seams to be cooler than the regular memory foam.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #7

Name: Benjamin
Trailer: Uhaul ct-13
Michigan
I used an electric carving knife on a 4 inch topper from wal mart and it cut just fine. I then put the memory foam on my cushions and sealed all of it in a plastic mattress bag. then I duct taped the corners of the bag to tight to the mattress. it is holding together just fine. it was a great solution for right around 100 bucks
uhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:36 PM   #8

Trailer: Toyota Sunrader and 16 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
I used the 4 inch memory foam topper from Costco in my Scamp.
I didn't bother carving the corners as it molded to the curvature of the trailer.

It was so great I bought the 11 inch memory foam mattress at Costco and sold my select comfort at a garage sale.

It was the best buy I ever made.
Perry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #9

Name: Ryan
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16- side bath
Virginia
When we made all new cushions for our Scamp we used 4" thick medium firm foam from RochfordSupply.com. http://www.rochfordsupply.com/shop/F...ler/index.html

It has worked quite well for sitting but it is a bit to firm for my liking for bed use, but mostly you can feel the piping and seams under you on the dinette. We opted for a "down alternative" mattress topper from Walmart for $39. I sewed a sleeve ( really just a large pillow case for it) with Walmarts cheap $5 flat sheets, it makes a huge difference in the colored of the bed. We used it for the first time last weekend and we were both very comfortable-- and found we were NOT cramped in the tiny bed as we feared we would be.
Ryan P R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:50 PM   #10

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Hummmmmm what bed?That's as hard of a question as what girl should I pick for a wife!
Seriously though it is such a personal thing you almost nee to try out different foams.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:47 AM   #11

Name: Ruth
Trailer: Scamp 13
Arkansas
Registry
I got a 8 inch foam mattress on line from Sam's club, very comfy used a electric knife to cut it down and resewed the mattress cover to fit. Just remember when you cut the pattern that the walls curve out so cut at an angle. And this would be for a permanent bed we love it.
Ruthies Radiola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
We are considering changing out our 5" four year old stock foam mattress in our Escape 19 for something with firmer support. I think it has softened a bit.

So, a topper would not work, as they work best with a firm foundation.

In my searching, it seems that both memory foam and natural latex foam come up as the most recommended, with the natural foam usually the best (albeit most expensive) choice. Does anyone have any experience with natural foam mattresses?

And with memory foam, how well does it work near freezing? I remember talking to someone who used a memory foam topper in their tent trailer and it took a while to warm up enough to conform if I remember correct.

If this mattress with be a 10 year investment into good sleep, I do not mind bucking up for something good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM   #13

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
Jim, Escape sells spring-coil mattresses for a 17b at $399 for the rear dinette and $325 for the front dinette.
Not sure of the size you'll need for the 19'.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:15 AM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
Jim, Escape sells spring-coil mattresses for a 17b at $399 for the rear dinette and $325 for the front dinette.
Not sure of the size you'll need for the 19'.
The 19 is a full 60"x80", but we want to narrow it by an inch or two to better facilitate tucking the sheets in on the sides, as there is no room to spare against the cabinets. Plus of course the rounded corners at the back side.

I just talked to the wife, and we may try to check out a few of the local mattress suppliers, and feel for ourselves the comfort levels.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 06-19-2013, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: J Mac
Trailer: 17b Escape
British Columbia
It's those radius corners on the 17b that present the problem with a spring-coil mattress. That's why they are custom made.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #16

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Here are the additional photos.
Happy Camping!
Gilda (Jill-da)
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 028.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 030.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 031.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 032.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #17

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Hey, Perry, I know this is an older post but I was just looking at these mattress toppers at Costco for our Scamp. Did you purchase a full or queen? A full/standard sizes seems about 2 inches too short but the queen is huge... Thanks!
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:44 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I was re-reading this thread and noticed that I had not posted my mattress-topper photos. I took a 1 1/2 inch thick foam topper, cut it to size, cut it in half lengthwise (so each piece could be rolled up and stored in bench hatch). I custom-made removable covers out of cotton knit jersey (think t-shirt fabric) with zippers on the end thereby eliminating the need for sheets. I can't begin to tell you how comfortable our bed is now with this small improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 023.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 022.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 01:38 PM   #19

Name: T
Trailer: Past Scamp Owner
Coastal Carolinas
Gilda, I love your idea! Just ordered a foam topper today and I may steal your trick. We slept a bit rough on our 15 year old dinette cushions.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Tonya L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 05:13 PM   #20

Registry
We made the mistake of upgrading to a good quality firm 6" mattress, PLUS we got a 2 1/2" latex foam topper. OMG, it is heavenly to sleep on, though it wasn't cheap at all. The mistake is, it is way more comfy than our bed at home, and now my wife want to buy another set just like it for our bedroom.

Tags
scamp