Which glue to use for ceiling styrofoam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2019, 10:33 AM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: bigfoot
SK
Which glue to use for ceiling styrofoam?

Midway through reno of '81 Bigfoot B17 and am wondering which glue would be best to use when putting the styrofoam back on the ceiling. Any ideas? Thanks
g4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Hymer
California
Registry
You might check here: www.thistothat.com
OCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 03:09 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Adhesive

So is the insulation extruded polystyrene or expanded polystyrene and what exactly is fiberglass?
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:45 PM   #4

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
We used PL Foamboard adhesive when we did our ceiling restoration. Readily available at hardware stores.
Shawn B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:29 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
the vintage ones were all done with standard yellow contact cement. It has the right heat resistant rating. Much easier to brush on the liquid than to use spray adhesive inside of a completed travel trailer. Follow the directions regarding how long to wait before you contact the pieces together. Even after all these years it still works and performs with good longevity and strength for this kind of situation. It is what I used to put the foam insulation onto the fiberglass ceiling of my Campster renovation. You can buy it at any hardware store.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 04:12 PM   #6

Name: Greg
Trailer: bigfoot
SK
Thanks for the help

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'm going to give the yellow contact cement a try.
g4fishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:45 PM   #7

Name: paul
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
I repaired a few small spots on my Trillium elephant skin using a hot glue gun. Fast and simple.

Paul
paul paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 06:17 AM   #8

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul paquette View Post
I repaired a few small spots on my Trillium elephant skin using a hot glue gun. Fast and simple.

Paul
Standard hot glue gun sticks are not appropriate for the temperatures that can happen to a ceiling in the hot sun. The adhesive will soften under those conditions.

The exception being a specialized very high temperature hot glue gun that uses Pur which are polyurethane glue sticks. That specialized glue develops cross linked boding that increase over the next few weeks as it cures. The glue comes in metal cartridges that insert into the special gun. It is fairly expensive to use as well so you would only find it in woodworking stores or online specialty suppliers. I got mine from Rockler quite a few years ago but they no longer sell them or the cartridges. A very high heat hot melt is not an appropriate glue for foam. It does adhere very well to the interior side of the trailers and to wood as well. I used the fast setting version to tack the wood furring strips I applied inside my trailer to hold them in place while the epoxy cured.

https://www.hotmelt.com/blogs/blog/p...e-pur-hot-melt
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:02 AM   #9

Name: Peter
Trailer: Bigfoot
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4fishing View Post
Midway through reno of '81 Bigfoot B17 and am wondering which glue would be best to use when putting the styrofoam back on the ceiling. Any ideas? Thanks
PL premium for foam will do the job
Peter10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #10

Name: aj
Trailer: Roamer TC
Georgia
I have had miserable experience with the blue foam board adhesive that comes in a caulk tube. This was in existence back when liquid nails would dissolve foam, now LN is good.
I use Liquid Nails Extreme and it works great. I am not sure about temp, but imagine the roof temps are fine. I have used it on ceilings/under roofs with no issues.
Roamer is offline   Reply With Quote