Which hub caps will fit my 4 lug 13" wheels - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-28-2013, 06:55 PM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: 13ft Scamp
Wisconsin
Which hub caps will fit my 4 lug 13" wheels

When i called to order i was told my hubs stuck out too far so the hub caps wouldn't fit.. So what will?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  

Old 08-28-2013, 07:07 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Are those Bearing Buddies? If so, take those suckers off. Put on a regular dust cap and then hub caps will fit.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 07:08 PM   #3

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Are those Bearing Buddies? If so, take those suckers off. Put on a regular dust cap and then hub caps will fit.
I though bearingbuddies were good, not sure if they are or not but arnt they?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:17 PM   #4

Name: Kinga DeRode
Trailer: For Sale Or Rent
Rooms to Let 50 Cents
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
I though bearingbuddies were good, not sure if they are or not but arnt they?
Bearing Buddies are designed for boat trailers to pressurize the bearing cavity to prevent water intrusion when submerged. They are no substitute for regular bearing maintenance. In short, if I wanted cool hub caps, I'd ditch the Bearing Buddies.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
Hi Mark

It looks like you have the dust cap for EZ-Lube hubs on your Scamp. There is a rubber plug in the end that is removable for injecting grease into the end of the spindle. The grease comes out at the inside wheel bearing. I have EZ-Lube spindles on my Flexiride axle with the same cap.

I recently found a source of hub caps that fit these 4-lug early Scamp wheels and it kind of shocked me that they are made for one of the oldest aftermarket automotive companies around.

The center cap for Cragar smoothy wheels fits perfectly. I put mine on over the EZ-Lube cap. They seem to clear the EZ-Lube cap although they didn't seat against the rim all the way around. The hub caps have been on for several thousands miles.

Today I repacked the bearings and put standard dust caps on instead of the EZ-Lub cap so I could get a little more clearance for the hub caps. I haven't put the Cragar hub cap on yet. I will probably tow the trailer for at least 50 miles and recheck the lug nut torque before I put them on.

I bought my Cragar center caps from Summit Racing. It was on the Jeg's web site that I found correct pictures of the caps with the critical dimension. The Cragar part number for these is 29113. Here are links to both web sites:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...FWfhQgodUQYAtw

Cragar 29113 Cragar Wheel Center Caps

The picture of the cap on the Summit web page is not the correct one. The picture on the Jegs web site is the correct one.

I've be wanting to post pictures of them on my wheels. If I get a chance in the next day or two I will. Otherwise, I will be off camping and will do it at a later date.

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 07:39 PM   #6

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 1977 13-foot Scamp
Washington
While I was preparing my reply I see several replies were posted saying those are bearing buddies which is probably what they are. They look like they are a little bit longer that the EZ-Lube caps I have.

Like the previous replies said, get those suckers off. The Cragar center hub cap will clear a standard dust cap.

I also have stainless steel beauty rings on my wheels.

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow,

Jeff
Old 08-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #7

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
Hi Mark

It looks like you have the dust cap for EZ-Lube hubs on your Scamp.
Jeff
EZ Lube had not yet been invented when those hubs were made, those are bearing buddies from all appearances.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Ditch the bearing buddies, no need for them on a regular trailer.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Ditch the bearing buddies, no need for them on a regular trailer.
Do they just pop off?
Old 08-28-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Richardson View Post
Hi Mark

It looks like you have the dust cap for EZ-Lube hubs on your Scamp. There is a rubber plug in the end that is removable for injecting grease into the end of the spindle. The grease comes out at the inside wheel bearing. I have EZ-Lube spindles on my Flexiride axle with the same cap.

I recently found a source of hub caps that fit these 4-lug early Scamp wheels and it kind of shocked me that they are made for one of the oldest aftermarket automotive companies around.

The center cap for Cragar smoothy wheels fits perfectly. I put mine on over the EZ-Lube cap. They seem to clear the EZ-Lube cap although they didn't seat against the rim all the way around. The hub caps have been on for several thousands miles.

Today I repacked the bearings and put standard dust caps on instead of the EZ-Lub cap so I could get a little more clearance for the hub caps. I haven't put the Cragar hub cap on yet. I will probably tow the trailer for at least 50 miles and recheck the lug nut torque before I put them on.

I bought my Cragar center caps from Summit Racing. It was on the Jeg's web site that I found correct pictures of the caps with the critical dimension. The Cragar part number for these is 29113. Here are links to both web sites:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...FWfhQgodUQYAtw

Cragar 29113 Cragar Wheel Center Caps

The picture of the cap on the Summit web page is not the correct one. The picture on the Jegs web site is the correct one.

I've be wanting to post pictures of them on my wheels. If I get a chance in the next day or two I will. Otherwise, I will be off camping and will do it at a later date.

Jeff
Cant wait to see the pics, and thanks for all the info...
Old 08-28-2013, 09:10 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcmarkrazz View Post
Do they just pop off?
Yes, Bearing Buddies are just hub caps which hold pressure on the grease.

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote