white wire shelving - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 AM   #1

Name: Patti
Trailer: Scamp
Texas
white wire shelving

Good morning all!
I saw a posting on facebook where a Scamper had added Rubbermaid type wire shelving over their rear dinette seats. (between the upper cabinets & back wall)
Or even over the rear window.

Has anyone else done this? Seems like a good spot to store extra blankets and such as I have a full time rear bed in my 16ft

Looking for mounting advice/directions

thanks much!
armypatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 09:54 AM   #2

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
My 1996 Casita had that wire-type shelving in the kitchen, bathroom, and next to the bed. After all these years, the plastic started peeling off the wire and made a mess. The other problem with that type of shelf is that there's lots of gaps so things fall out when you're traveling down the road. I finally made some wooden shelves and pop riveted them in the same locations. Made life a lot easier.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:23 AM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by armypatti View Post
I saw a posting on facebook where a Scamper had added Rubbermaid type wire shelving over their rear dinette seats. (between the upper cabinets & back wall)
Or even over the rear window....
See: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...per-83480.html

Count the number of rivets in the cabinets. That will be the number of rivets that are responsible for holding up the cabinets and everything in them. Its not a lot of support. Now consider how much more weight you want to add to that load, and will it be static or not. I suspect that this mod works better when things are only stored on the shelf when the camper is parked (static load).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #4

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
I've used that plastic coated wire shelving in some of my previous units and it worked well. I didn't attach it under existing cabinets so as not to overload their attachments. I'm also careful as to where I attach them and the loads I put on them. They work well in closets to keep things organized and secure when traveling.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #5

Name: Doug
Trailer: Escape
California
Registry
We have that wire shelving in a few places under the cabinets in our Scamp 16. We only use it for light weight items so the extra strain on the cabinets is not a problem. I drill holes in the bottom of the cabinets and install eye bolts. For short shelves I use one of the in-cabinet free standing dish shelves that are about 12x6x6 inches. I bend about 1/2 inch of the leg wire of the rack and hang it upside down by sticking the bent part of the wire rack leg through the eye bolt. With proper placement of the eye bolts there is enough tension on the wire rack to hold it in place but it is still flexible enough that it can easily be removed. I also have a long wire shelf across the back is the trailer over the rear window. Also attached to the side cabinets with eye bolts mounted under the bottom of the side cabinets and the rods of the wire shelf do not need to be bent.
DougOlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #6

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
I had added the wire shelf to our Scamp as you were asking about. You can see pictures of it if you “click” on our picture, then go to our albums, (one is for our Scamp and one for our Lil Snoozy). We only kept light weight items on it, such as pillows and sleeping bags. I secured it to the “pinch rail” of the window, using the existing screws through aluminum“L” brackets there and on the ends of the side cabinets.
Best of luck with your project.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:18 PM   #7

Name: D. Jim
Manitoba
We aĺso added wire shelving in our 16 ft Scamp side dinette. Above dinette seats and above back window. Very handy for any variety of light items...cosmetic toiletries etc. Get creative with normal mounting hardware. Love it.
Jim
Jim Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:00 AM   #8

Texas
thanks so much for all the replies.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:28 AM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
shelving

after our 4k trip to az and around and getting in our trailer each evening I don't want any more shelves for stuff to fly around the camper.

we now put everything in plastic boxes that wont fit into cabinents to secure them!

Ours is a 13f scamper maybe the larger trailers don't do this!

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:39 PM   #10

Texas
Manitoba Jim,
do you have any pic's you could share?

My local Fiberglass Guy is pretty sure he can add it for me. I just have to decide on placement.

Tags
vin