Who does professional mods/rebuilds? - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #1

Name: Steve and Julie
Trailer: Camp Lite by Livin Lite
Indiana
Who does professional mods/rebuilds?

Hi all. I am looking for names of persons who do complete rebuilds or extensive mods for hire. This would be for persons who are mold or chemically sensitive. Very likely the trailers would be aluminum not fiberglass (unless you could recommend an egg trailer without rat fur?).

There's a large group of persons who must practice "extreme mold avoidance" for health. They tend to live in the southwest and either don't use their indoor plumbing or modify cargo trailers as living quarters.

As for Steve and me, although we have an aluminum Camplite, I have benefitted tremendously from the expertise here!

Thank you, Julie

Old 08-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #2

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenjuliehorney View Post
Hi all. I am looking for names of persons who do complete rebuilds or extensive mods for hire. This would be for persons who are mold or chemically sensitive. Very likely the trailers would be aluminum not fiberglass (unless you could recommend an egg trailer without rat fur?).

There's a large group of persons who must practice "extreme mold avoidance" for health. They tend to live in the southwest and either don't use their indoor plumbing or modify cargo trailers as living quarters.

As for Steve and me, although we have an aluminum Camplite, I have benefitted tremendously from the expertise here!

Thank you, Julie
I assume you are one of those who can't have carpet in your house or drapes on your windows etc.
In which case you are concerned about any trailer which uses fabric or carpet on the interior walls floors or windows. That would of course include ratfur which has no greater attraction to allergens or mold than other materials commonly used in the RV industry in general or fiberglass trailers in particular.
Even those trailers with fiberglass double hulled construction can sustain mold when conditions are not controlled.Proper ventilation and storage are imperitives. A/C is a great deterrent to environmental irritants like mold or even pollen, dust etc. since it acts as a dehumidifier. Still ventilation is a key factor for chemical allergens and mold prevention.
All that being said there are several fiberglass trailers which are built with double hull construction which would perhaps make it easier to scrub and keep clear of those irritants which concern you.
In fact Fiberglass might be easier than any stickbuilt trailer since infiltration of the walls from outside sources is less likely and much easier to control.
Ventilation and A/C, even heat sourcing are critical tools in the battle in any confined space, especially in Fiberglass trailers.
Burro, Oliver, Trillium, Eggcamper, and Lil'Snoozy are examples of trailers which have fiberglass in and out.
If it is only indoor irritants which present a problem then there are fiberglass trailers with pop-up tops which ventilate wonderfully.
examples would be Hunter,TrailsWest,Compact, Cadet. These do have various linings which could eliminate them for consideration though.

Old 08-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #3

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Although they are a bit distant, "The Canned Ham Man" in Riverside, CA specializes in rebuilding Canned Hams AND FGRV's to customers specifications. Here is a link to their site showing a 1978 Scamp they are currently redoing. As you can see, they can make the inside anything you want.
cp - Scamp
Old 08-19-2015, 12:31 PM   #4

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I've camped a lot in the woods, and mountains of the North West. All the wooded area I've been in has some sort of mold around. It's the nature of the woods. I saw the same thing in upstate New York and Labrador Canada.
I point this out because the ability of travel trailer to sustain mold in only part of mold exposure problem.
It's a very daunting issue and I hope you can solve it, at least enough to enjoy some outdoor activities.